You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Israel - A Rant

Rashid

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tragic accident. 

https://www.euronews.com/2021/09/14/greece-investigates-plane-crash-that-killed-witness-in-netanyahu-corruption-trial

Greek authorities have opened an investigation into the deadly crash of a private plane near the island of Samos.

The crash killed a prosecution witness in the corruption trial of former Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Haim Geron, a former senior official at Israel’s ministry of communications, and his wife Esther were the only occupants on board the Cessna 182 aircraft.

Greek authorities have opened an investigation into the deadly crash of a private plane near the island of Samos.

The crash killed a prosecution witness in the corruption trial of former Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Haim Geron, a former senior official at Israel’s ministry of communications, and his wife Esther were the only occupants on board the Cessna 182 aircraft.

The single-engine plane had departed Haifa in Israel on Monday and later crashed near Samos airport.

Greece’s Air Accident Investigation and Aviation Board said they were investigating the causes of the crash.

"Shortly before landing, communication with the control tower on Samos was lost and the Civil Aviation Authority informed the search and rescue center about the loss of communication,” the authority said in a statement.

"A local fisherman said there was a big explosion, followed by a smaller one," Ioannis Kondylis, head of the board, told AFP.

The bodies of the two Israeli occupants were recovered by the coastguard several hours later with the help of divers.

The Israeli Foreign Ministry identified the victims, both aged 69, adding that consular officials and the ministry were working with the family to return the bodies.

Geron was one of more than 300 witnesses that prosecutors listed for Netanyahu’s trial, where the former PM is accused of accepting expensive gifts from wealthy associates and granting favours to media tycoons in exchange for coverage.

Netanyahu, now the opposition leader in Israel’s parliament, has denied all the accusations and mocked the size of the prosecution's witness list.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I think the key word in your post is “defence”. Maybe if Hamas stopped trying to kill Israeli civilians with indiscriminate rocket attacks, the latter wouldn’t need to buy a defence system. It’s a bit like my neighbour regularly throwing dog shit into my garden but I’m the bad guy for putting up a taller fence. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe if Israel stopped air strikes and shootings, deliberately killing Palestinian children, indiscriminate bulldozing of Palestinian houses, blockading basic supplies, allowing Israeli citizens to build illegal settlements, sectioning off water supplies, treating Palestinians like diseased cattle, and meaningfully engaged in a two state solution, then Hamas might be more inclined to stop rocket attacks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I think the key word in your post is “defence”. Maybe if Hamas stopped trying to kill Israeli civilians with indiscriminate rocket attacks, the latter wouldn’t need to buy a defence system. It’s a bit like my neighbour regularly throwing dog shit into my garden but I’m the bad guy for putting up a taller fence, destroying his house and garden and threatening all his neighbours and friends with the same.

8 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I think the key word in your post is “defence”. Maybe if Hamas stopped trying to kill Israeli civilians with indiscriminate rocket attacks, the latter wouldn’t need to buy a defence system. It’s a bit like my neighbour regularly throwing dog shit into my garden but I’m the bad guy for putting up a taller fence. 

Yeah come back when you have any idea what you’re talking about. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Anyone in the west who defends human rights is an anti-Semite.

Anyone in Israel or Palestine who defends human rights is a terrorist.

https://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=27702&LangID=E

I'll post the words incase people don't click on the link and read it. I thought Israel was the only democracy in that region?

UN experts condemn Israel’s designation of Palestinian human rights defenders as terrorist organisations 

GENEVA (25 October 2021) – UN human rights experts today strongly and unequivocally condemned the decision by the Israeli Minister of Defence, Benny Gantz, to designate six Palestinian human rights and civil society groups as terrorist organisations.

“This designation is a frontal attack on the Palestinian human rights movement, and on human rights everywhere,” said the experts. “Silencing their voices is not what a democracy adhering to well-accepted human rights and humanitarian standards would do. We call upon the international community to defend the defenders.”

The experts said that anti-terrorism legislation is designed for a specific and restricted purpose, and must not be used to unjustifiably undermine civil liberties or to curtail the legitimate work of human rights organisations. The United Nations Security Council, the General Assembly and the Human Rights Council have all been clear about the requirement to apply counter-terrorism measures in a manner which is consistent with international law and does not violate States international obligations, they said.

“The misuse of counter-terrorism measures in this way by the government of Israel undermines the security of all,” the experts said. “The freedoms of association and expression must be fully respected in order to enable civil society to perform its indispensable work, and cannot be undermined by the manifestly egregious misuse of counterterrorism and security legislation.”

The six Palestinian organizations are Addameer, Al-Haq, Defense for Children International – Palestine, the Union of Agricultural Work Committees, the Bisan Center for Research and Development, and the Union of Palestinian Women Committees. Among the communities that they work with are Palestinian women and girls, children, peasant families, prisoners and civil society activists, all of whom face increased levels of discrimination and even violence.

“These organisations speak the language of universal human rights,” the experts said. “They use a rights-based approach to their work, including a gendered analysis, to document human rights abuses of all kinds in Palestine, including business-related human rights abuses.”

This designation would effectively ban the work of these human rights defenders, and allow the Israeli military to arrest their staff, shutter their offices, confiscate their assets and prohibit their activities and human rights work. The experts note their concern that at least for one of these organisations, this decision may have been taken as a form of reprisal for cooperation with UN entities.

“The Israeli military has frequently targeted human rights defenders in recent years, as its occupation has deepened, its defiance of international law has continued and its record of human rights violations has worsened,” the experts said. “While international and Israeli human rights organisations have faced heavy criticism, legislative restrictions and even deportations, Palestinian human rights defenders have always encountered the severest constraints.”

The human rights experts called upon the international community to use its full range of political and diplomatic tools to request that Israel review and reverse this decision. “These civil society organisations are the canaries in the human rights coalmine, alerting us to the patterns of violations, reminding the international community of its obligations to ensure accountability, and providing voices for those who have none,” the experts said.

image.png

• Upvote 1

At least some of those NGOs were mentioned on Fatah's website as subsidiaries of the PFLP, which is designated as a terrorist organisation by the EU, USA, Japan, Canada and Australia.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150924010641/http:/www.fatehorg.ps/index.php?action=show_page&ID=11455&lang=ar

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

At least some of those NGOs were mentioned on Fatah's website as subsidiaries of the PFLP, which is designated as a terrorist organisation by the EU, USA, Japan, Canada and Australia.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150924010641/http:/www.fatehorg.ps/index.php?action=show_page&ID=11455&lang=ar

How many? 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

How many? 

Well, I count two of the six on Fatah's website (Addameer Foundation and the Union of Women's Committees). That's not to say the other four don't have ties to the PFLP too, it's just what I found with 2 minutes of checking.

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Well, I count two of the six on Fatah's website (Addameer Foundation and the Union of Women's Committees). That's not to say the other four don't have ties to the PFLP too, it's just what I found with 2 minutes of checking.

I'll follow the recent United Nations lead on this one not some who has spent two minutes 'scanning' and posted an article from 8 years ago. 

That said, I'm sure after all they have been through a few of them might (and I'm not saying it's right) want revenge. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

I'll follow the recent United Nations lead on this one not some who has spent two minutes 'scanning' and posted an article from 8 years ago.

It's not really an "article". It's Fatah's own list of their partners in the PLO.

I would tend to think Fatah know more about their partners than the UN do, but hey, who knows.