You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Israel - A Rant

Rashid

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Oh yeah, the Irish invaded, divided and persecuted the British. She must have forgotten about that bit. 

I mean, they're not exactly big on a two-state solution for Ireland, are they. And the protestants have been in Northern Ireland longer than the Palestinians have been in Palestine.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I mean, they're not exactly big on a two-state solution for Ireland, are they. And the protestants have been in Northern Ireland longer than the Palestinians have been in Palestine.

Where is the 'irony' in what she said? 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Where is the 'irony' in what she said? 

She criticises Israel for wanting more of historic Israel, while belonging to a party whose main reason for existence is to advocate for Ireland having the entirety of historic Ireland.

5 hours ago, Carradona said:

It now makes a lot more sense why Corbyn was such a fan, anti-Semites together. *

* I am not saying that criticising the actions of the State of Israel makes you an anti-Semite, I am saying that is what she will be labelled. **

** The fact I feel I have to explain this depresses me greatly. 

26 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Second time you've invoked biblical deeds to lands. Good stuff. 

I've literally never invoked biblical deeds. Those 3,000 year old artifacts they dig out of the soil with Hebrew writing on them aren't modern forgeries.

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I don't even know what your point is NV, if you're trying to deny the historical ties of the Jewish people to that region then you're clearly wrong.

What about the Palestinians ties to that region? 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

What about the Palestinians ties to that region? 

I assume you're talking about Palestinian Arabs, who weren't known as Palestinians until the 1960s? Some have been there a very long time, since the Muslim conquest in the 7th century, or even earlier. Loads migrated to the area more recently, attracted by the opportunities brought by returning Jewish capital (more of that irony). Population of the entire region was only about 250,000 until 200 years ago.

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I assume you're talking about Palestinian Arabs, who weren't known as Palestinians until the 1960s? Some have been there a very long time, since the Muslim conquest in the 7th century, or even earlier. Loads migrated to the area more recently, attracted by the opportunities brought by returning Jewish capital (more of that irony). Population of the entire region was only about 250,000 until 200 years ago.

Why are the IDF slaughtering them then? 

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

She criticises Israel for wanting more of historic Israel, while belonging to a party whose main reason for existence is to advocate for Ireland having the entirety of historic Ireland.

Last time I checked, she wasn't bombing the protestants out of their homes or murdering harmless protestant children. Nor is she advocating it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Carradona said:

Last time I checked, she wasn't bombing the protestants out of their homes or murdering harmless protestant children. Nor is she advocating it.

Yes, I'm aware they've stopped doing that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Interesting reading Haaretz and the Jerusalem Post today. Both have some op-ed stuff bemoaning the lack of support for Israel particularly in the West. Haaretz frames it as a warning that Israel is losing the PR battle and needs to be careful of the consequences whereas the Post essentially PR is pointless because Israel's critics are all antisemitic. 

Hey, it's okay. I understand. The cognitive dissonance that results from supporting Irish self-determination while simultaneously opposing Jewish self-determination must be immense.

I'm proud that my Irish Jewish family was on the Irish side during the Irish war of independence. They as much as anyone knew how important the ties between an indigenous people and their homeland were. Of course, the Jews in Mandatory Palestine would later copy the Irish tactics in their own struggle for independence against their mutual British enemy.

Does anyone think that, should the Irish be expelled from Ireland and forced to wander the Earth for hundreds of years, the likes of Sinn Fein would ever accept their home was lost forever, and that it should just be abandoned to whichever waifs and strays pitched up on the island in the meantime? Not a chance.

8 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Hey, it's okay. I understand. The cognitive dissonance that results from supporting Irish self-determination while simultaneously opposing Jewish self-determination must be immense.

I'm proud that my Irish Jewish family was on the Irish side during the Irish war of independence. They as much as anyone knew how important the ties between an indigenous people and their homeland were. Of course, the Jews in Mandatory Palestine would later copy the Irish tactics in their own struggle for independence against their mutual British enemy.

Does anyone think that, should the Irish be expelled from Ireland and forced to wander the Earth for hundreds of years, the likes of Sinn Fein would ever accept their home was lost forever, and that it should just be abandoned to whichever waifs and strays pitched up on the island in the meantime? Not a chance.

So yet again not comparable at all seeing as that’s not happened to Ireland and what the IDF is doing to the Palestinians isn’t in anyway comparable to Irish actions throughout its entire history. Cut the bullshit. 

Im proud that my Irish ancestors were on the right side of history and would always defend the right of anybody to exist with the same civil rights as anybody regardless of religion or skin colour or where their grandad from 2700 years ago may have once lived. Shame that having those true decent values can’t be said for everyone. 

12 hours ago, scottthecanuck said:

Interesting reading Haaretz and the Jerusalem Post today. Both have some op-ed stuff bemoaning the lack of support for Israel particularly in the West. Haaretz frames it as a warning that Israel is losing the PR battle and needs to be careful of the consequences whereas the Post essentially PR is pointless because Israel's critics are all antisemitic. 

They should decide if they want to be feared or understood. So far, feared served them fine.

45 minutes ago, SasaS said:

So far, feared served them fine.

Actually that is not the impression I get from either side. Rather the fear is exhibited by the Israeli's. On the left the fear is the world is turning their back on them because of the oppressive policies of the Netanyahu government. On the right the fear is the world is turning their back on them because of antisemitism. 

One thing that unites Israeli's is fear of the future, so spending their entire history trying to get people to fear them has been somewhat counterproductive.