You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Israel - A Rant

Rashid

One thing we can all agree on, wars bring out the worst in people. A perfect example below in the Mail, them two Palestinian models, you'd think butter wouldn't melt in their mouth by looking at them, but they're strutting the catwalk all prime and proper by day and then they turn terrorist and launch rockets at Israel in the night. 

1 hour ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Some on here still claim that Israel is a "liberal democracy" that shares our values. Someone tell me how some of what we just heard is any different from what was coming out of the mouths of ordinary Germans in 1933. They've become what they hated, and they are only going to slide further down the abyss. 

Any western government supporting Israel is equally guilty of their crimes. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, scottthecanuck said:

Some on here still claim that Israel is a "liberal democracy" that shares our values. Someone tell me how some of what we just heard is any different from what was coming out of the mouths of ordinary Germans in 1933. They've become what they hated, and they are only going to slide further down the abyss. 

What was "coming out of the mouths of ordinary Germans in 1933"?

10 minutes ago, scottthecanuck said:

Is any government helping Palestine equally guilty if their crimes? 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/15/far-right-jewish-groups-arab-youths-claim-streets-lod-israel-loses-control

I feel nothing but disgust for Israel, its's government and it's citizens who are either indifferent to or active participants in what is now an obvious case of ethnic cleansing. They have now sunk to the level of the Serbs of '90s. 

Israel has become what it's founders, supporters, and apologists always promised it wouldn't become, a racist oppressive regime for Jews only. It's a massive betrayal of the promises made in exchange for years of military, economic, and diplomatic support. 

Defund Israel now and forever unless the it commits to a "two state solution", reparations are made to displaced Palestinians, war criminals extradited to the Hague, and a repeal of the "Nation State Law". 

Israel might be successful in their campaign of ethnic cleansing but Western nations sure as fuck should have no part of it. 

41 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Obviously I get the point he’s making, and the disproportionate response is disgusting, as is the oppression and illegal encroachment, but it’s not just throwing stones. There’s no need for people to belittle the rockets that have seemingly killed civilians in order to make the very powerful point he’s making.

16 minutes ago, scottthecanuck said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/15/far-right-jewish-groups-arab-youths-claim-streets-lod-israel-loses-control

I feel nothing but disgust for Israel, its's government and it's citizens who are either indifferent to or active participants in what is now an obvious case of ethnic cleansing. They have now sunk to the level of the Serbs of '90s. 

Israel has become what it's founders, supporters, and apologists always promised it wouldn't become, a racist oppressive regime for Jews only. It's a massive betrayal of the promises made in exchange for years of military, economic, and diplomatic support. 

Defund Israel now and forever unless the it commits to a "two state solution", reparations are made to displaced Palestinians, war criminals extradited to the Hague, and a repeal of the "Nation State Law". 

Israel might be successful in their campaign of ethnic cleansing but Western nations sure as fuck should have no part of it. 

Obviously there are some bellend citizens just like every nation but it’s unfair to label all Israeli citizens as such. I’ve mentioned my girlfriends mate living there and she’s married to a tel aviv fella whose lovely. No malice towards anyone. She was telling my Mrs yesterday that they have an Arab block janitor who gets on with everyone and she hasn’t seen him in a week but doesn’t have his number to check on him and let him know he’s welcome. It just seems to be certain areas that hold a right wing element. Of course you can’t be sure of people’s thoughts but she reckons her area is fairly mixed and never any bother. This isn’t a Jewish attack/means of self defence however it’s labelled, it’s the Israeli government and its power trip. Most Israeli citizens are about as culpable for any of this in the same as me or you are for Blair’s war crimes. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Obviously there are some bellend citizens just like every nation but it’s unfair to label all Israeli citizens as such. I’ve mentioned my girlfriends mate living there and she’s married to a tel aviv fella whose lovely. No malice towards anyone. She was telling my Mrs yesterday that they have an Arab block janitor who gets on with everyone and she hasn’t seen him in a week but doesn’t have his number to check on him and let him know he’s welcome. It just seems to be certain areas that hold a right wing element. Of course you can’t be sure of people’s thoughts but she reckons her area is fairly mixed and never any bother. This isn’t a Jewish attack/means of self defence however it’s labelled, it’s the Israeli government and its power trip. Most Israeli citizens are about as culpable for any of this in the same as me or you are for Blair’s war crimes. 

I guess where I disagree is that unlike the 70's/80's there is no credible peace movement in Israel. I know that not all citizens hold these repellent views but where are the protests against the government policies? Where is the anti-war movement? Where is the liberal opposition to the Nation State law? 

Many of the people you mention may be decent at heart but eventually if you do nothing to protest, or don't speak out you become a passive accomplice to the crime. The State of Israel has become increasingly racist, opressive, and militant over the years. Yet it's Jewish population does not suffer under a dictatorship. Presumably they have the freedom to stand up and say "not in our name", yet they don't. 

I think Netanyahu and his ilk are a Colonel Jessup for a good many Israeli citizens who say the right things but ultimately do nothing to stop what is happening. There may come a day in the future when they begin to realize the cost once the Religious radicals become powerful enough to start turning their attention to Israeli citizens who are deemed to be insufficiently devout or observant. Something that I think is entirely inevitable.  

Same thing every single time. Same shit, different day.

“Israel has the right to defend itself.”

These are the words we hear from both Democratic and Republican administrations whenever the government of Israel, with its enormous military power, responds to rocket attacks from Gaza.

Let’s be clear. No one is arguing that Israel, or any government, does not have the right to self-defense or to protect its people. So why are these words repeated year after year, war after war? And why is the question almost never asked: “What are the rights of the Palestinian people?”

And why do we seem to take notice of the violence in Israel and Palestine only when rockets are falling on Israel?

In this moment of crisis, the United States should be urging an immediate cease-fire. We should also understand that, while Hamas firing rockets into Israeli communities is absolutely unacceptable, today’s conflict did not begin with those rockets.

Palestinian families in the Jerusalem neighborhood of Sheikh Jarrah have been living under the threat of eviction for many years, navigating a legal system designed to facilitate their forced displacement. And over the past weeks, extremist settlers have intensified their efforts to evict them.

And, tragically, those evictions are just one part of a broader system of political and economic oppression. For years we have seen a deepening Israeli occupation in the West Bank and East Jerusalem and a continuing blockade on Gaza that make life increasingly intolerable for Palestinians. In Gaza, which has about two million inhabitants, 70 percent of young people are unemployed and have little hope for the future.

Further, we have seen Benjamin Netanyahu’s government work to marginalize and demonize Palestinian citizens of Israel, pursue settlement policies designed to foreclose the possibility of a two-state solution and pass laws that entrench systemic inequality between Jewish and Palestinian citizens of Israel.

None of this excuses the attacks by Hamas, which were an attempt to exploit the unrest in Jerusalem, or the failures of the corrupt and ineffective Palestinian Authority, which recently postponed long-overdue elections. But the fact of the matter is that Israel remains the one sovereign authority in the land of Israel and Palestine, and rather than preparing for peace and justice, it has been entrenching its unequal and undemocratic control.

Over more than a decade of his right-wing rule in Israel, Mr. Netanyahu has cultivated an increasingly intolerant and authoritarian type of racist nationalism. In his frantic effort to stay in power and avoid prosecution for corruption, Mr. Netanyahu has legitimized these forces, including Itamar Ben Gvir and his extremist Jewish Power party, by bringing them into the government. It is shocking and saddening that racist mobs that attack Palestinians on the streets of Jerusalem now have representation in its Knesset.

These dangerous trends are not unique to Israel. Around the world, in Europe, in Asia, in South America and here in the United States, we have seen the rise of similar authoritarian nationalist movements. These movements exploit ethnic and racial hatreds in order to build power for a corrupt few rather than prosperity, justice and peace for the many. For the last four years, these movements had a friend in the White House.

At the same time, we are seeing the rise of a new generation of activists who want to build societies based on human needs and political equality. We saw these activists in American streets last summer in the wake of the murder of George Floyd. We see them in Israel. We see them in the Palestinian territories.

With a new president, the United States now has the opportunity to develop a new approach to the world — one based on justice and democracy. Whether it is helping poor countries get the vaccines they need, leading the world to combat climate change or fighting for democracy and human rights around the globe, the United States must lead by promoting cooperation over conflict.

In the Middle East, where we provide nearly $4 billion a year in aid to Israel, we can no longer be apologists for the right-wing Netanyahu government and its undemocratic and racist behavior. We must change course and adopt an evenhanded approach, one that upholds and strengthens international law regarding the protection of civilians, as well as existing U.S. law holding that the provision of U.S. military aid must not enable human rights abuses.

This approach must recognize that Israel has the absolute right to live in peace and security, but so do the Palestinians. I strongly believe that the United States has a major role to play in helping Israelis and Palestinians to build that future. But if the United States is going to be a credible voice on human rights on the global stage, we must uphold international standards of human rights consistently, even when it’s politically difficult. We must recognize that Palestinian rights matter. Palestinian lives matter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/14/opinion/bernie-sanders-israel-palestine-gaza.html

• Upvote 1