You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Israel - A Rant

Rashid

If it happened in Venezuela, you wouldn't see fit to mention it. Because it happens all the time in Venezuela, and you don't mention it.

But yes, keep calling people who point out your double standards agents of Israel, that really helps your argument.

It happens all the time in Israel as well. The only reason it's being brought to the attention of our media is because more than 1000 Palestinians have been injured. Whenever 1000 people get injured (anywhere in the world) it constituents as news. 

Yes, there were more than 160 protesters killed in Venezuela last year alone.

I had a quick search on Google. I'm not for a moment saying that Venezuela is a bed of roses, but I couldn't find reports of any massacre of unarmed peaceful protestors such as the one that happened yesterday, let alone frequent occurrences.

So, can we agree that it's hyperbolic and unhelpful (to say the least) to pretend that Bloody Sunday-style massacres happen all the time in Venezuela?

I had a quick search on Google. I'm not for a moment saying that Venezuela is a bed of roses, but I couldn't find reports of any massacre of unarmed peaceful protestors such as the one that happened yesterday, let alone frequent occurrences.

So, can we agree that it's hyperbolic and unhelpful (to say the least) to pretend that Bloody Sunday-style massacres happen all the time in Venezuela?

distracting is what it is.

If it happened in Venezuela, you wouldn't see fit to mention it. Because it happens all the time in Venezuela, and you don't mention it.

But yes, keep calling people who point out your double standards agents of Israel, that really helps your argument.

Can I have a link to your Venezuela Is A Shithole thread please?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/31/palestinians-hold-day-of-mourning-after-773-shot-with-live-ammunition

It's just mass murder isn't it? Oppress and kill enough Palestinians and there's no need for a 2 state solution.

There are more than four times as many Palestinians now as there was when modern Israel was founded. Worst genocide ever.

Zionists. You just gotta love 'em - or they will call you an anti semite.

I'm sick of the cunts. They're despicable, deformed representations of humanity.  They are despicable, deformed  representations of Judaism. Be it secular or religious, Zionism has become every bit as racist, intolerant and savage as the historic anti semitism that sparked its creation. If that view cannot be aired then our idea of democratic freedom is fucked. 

All Zionists are cunts, and those who support Zionists are cunts

Zionists. You just gotta love 'em - or they will call you an anti semite.

I'm sick of the cunts. They're despicable, deformed representations of humanity.  They are despicable, deformed  representations of Judaism. Be it secular or religious, Zionism has become every bit as racist, intolerant and savage as the historic anti semitism that sparked its creation. If that view cannot be aired then our idea of democratic freedom is fucked. 

All Zionists are cunts, and those who support Zionists are cunts

How are you defining Zionist here? Because if you mean the dictionary definition of supporting the existence of the state of Israel, by my reckoning you’ve just called most of this forum cunts.

If you mean something else by it, at what point did the official definition change, and by what mechanism was the change recognised?

I don't support the destruction of Israel, because it's here now, but I don't support any nation based off of religion or ethnicity. So even if it was some deliberately obtuse definition of supporting the existence of a Jewish state, I don't support it. But that's not what Zionism is, and hasn't been for a very long time. Anybody using that does so for a reason, and it's generally not a very nice one.

I don't support the destruction of Israel, because it's here now, but I don't support any nation based off of religion or ethnicity. So even if it was some deliberately obtuse definition of supporting the existence of a Jewish state, I don't support it. But that's not what Zionism is, and hasn't been for a very long time. Anybody using that does so for a reason, and it's generally not a very nice one.

What does the term mean now then, in your opinion? Is there a meaning that can be attached to it, or has it been used and misused for so many different purposes that it’s now essentially meaningless?

And - whether or not there is now an accepted meaning - if the original meaning is no longer valid then when, how and by what authority did it cease to be so? If your obtuse remark was directed at my definition, why is it obtuse of me to continue to use the original meaning?