You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nike and Racism

Nunavut Patrick

You hit the mark there my man. No-one sticking up for the most dangerous and yet loving beast seen by the eyes of angels? And yet, what is the beasts pay.....to gaze upon sweet Kate....to lick her cheek...and finally....to transport "horse" (unicorn), soul and jade monkey to another time and another fairytale.

Now, THAT, is something to moan about.

Compare that to the unicorn's pay in Kate's garden

Get those PETA twats in Kate's garden then. At least they'll be there and not bothering us good ol' seal clubbers.

If it costs Nike 3 quid to make a trainer, they are still making a huge profit even with overhead, shipping, labour, etc.-- economy of scale. Many companies (not always Nike) just move around from Indonesia to Malaysia to El Salvador getting the best deal from local governments, who are more bent than Mike Riley.

The solution is to buy fair trade items, and items that are certified by NGOs that they are made in humane conditions. Companies like Nike line the pockets of millionaire sports figures to peddle their wares at the expense of the workers.

A lot of people in these third world countries make good money in respect of where they are living, 10 p to us is nowt but 10p of our money converted into theirs is a good rate.

That's what I am saying, that Hanoi is nearly as expensive as Berlin, it's a universal scale based around the $US, 5p, lets say it's roughly 7.5/8 cents, how far will that get you in Berlin? Not very far. As it's a universal scale based around the $US you convert our money into dollars and cents. Their currency is immaterial as the cost of living is universal.

What I am saying is 5p is 5p wherever you are. No matter where you are you can't make 5p worth more than it is. I do agree that in certain countries 5p will get you further but as this is a universal scale it allows you to compare cost of living against the $US and as Hanoi is nearly as expensive as Berlin, 5p in Hanoi is the same as 5p in Berlin. You still haven't answered my question. Would 5p get you far in Berlin?

costofliving50cities.gif

The survey found the cost of renting a luxury unfurnished two-bedroom apartment in London was £1,950 a month, compared with £840 (€1,250) in Dublin, £1,311 in Paris and £908 in Rome. (1 British Pound = 1.51492 Euro: 1 British Pound = 1.81830 US Dollar; 1 Euro = 1.20290 US Dollar; 1 US Dollar = 0.83146 Euro).

The cost of a fast-food hamburger meal at €6.5 (USD$7.8)is more expensive in Dublin than in all but two of the 144 city sample. The cost in New York is €4.63 (USD$5.67); Sydney €3.65 (USD$4.37) and €1.93 (USD$2.32) in Beijing.

A cup of coffee with table service, costs €2.75 ($3.30) in Dublin; €2.75 ($3.30) in New York, €6.60 ($5.48) in Tokyo and €1.32 ($1.10) in Buenos Aires.

The survey covers 144 cities and measures the comparative cost of over 200 items in each location. These include housing, food, clothing and household goods as well as transportation and entertainment.

Well if the unicorn gets X, the frog gets Y and the rabbit gets Z, who gets the Jade Monkey? Surely it is not solely the possesion of kates and is more "Sto comunicando lo spreco assoluto del toro"

Yes sir! A riddle - and none finer! Each taste of the apple brings the unicorn closer to the well of thoughts. Only at the well can the Jade Monkey reap the metallic cup of truth....BUT WAIT!......Where is Sebastian????

The revolution will awaken gentleman, re-energise the frog, and Kate will smile.

When Kate smiles - the world listens!

The Eastern cloud that delivers knowledge, and yet with this knowledge brings uncertainty and potential change. How long can the Jade Monkey drink from the metallic cup without the onset of RUST? Whom shall Kate sing her fair song to, if that cup is to overspill and a great army of Eastern men rape and pillage the garden, burning fruit, lighting strange unorthodox candles.

relenting, relenting.....Sebastian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree Tom, if Nike wasn't there what would the kids do instead? Better to be doing something constructive rather than nowt at all.

In India I am sure the women making clothing would rather be doing that than being self employed and tending to paddy fields with no pay from the husbands.

Supply and demand, as long as it fits in with that individual countries culture then its fine. People talk of factory conditions but the conditions are only bad compared to England, in that country its the norm.

You are becoming a parody of yourself, Rashid. Just when I think I'm beyond being surprised by your "never think below the surface" posting policy, you whip out a shocker like the one above. You're really a 40-something satirist, with bad acne scars, called Chris, aren't you?

Originally Posted by Rashid

Agree Tom, if Nike wasn't there what would the kids do instead? Better to be doing something constructive rather than nowt at all.

In India I am sure the women making clothing would rather be doing that than being self employed and tending to paddy fields with no pay from the husbands.

Supply and demand, as long as it fits in with that individual countries culture then its fine. People talk of factory conditions but the conditions are only bad compared to England, in that country its the norm.

You are becoming a parody of yourself, Rashid. Just when I think I'm beyond being surprised by your "never think below the surface" posting policy, you whip out a shocker like the one above. You're really a 40-something satirist, with bad acne scars, called Chris, aren't you?

Thing is Rashid is right, we are comparing this to our counties economy and standards.

Also i think the whole pickl on Nike this is a bit OTT they are one of many companies (just like Good Old M&S) that use these factories. Yet no one is having goes at them.

And the original comment in the news was by some Inbred Manc Cunt who was saying it was a cheap PR stunt, and the reason he wouldnt wear the stand up speak up logo on his trackie top in the tunnel was why Vierra was slating him. If it had been stick up for a player who has been for drugs offences he would have expected everyone to back him or go on strike.

So he is a Racist Inbred Manc Cunt (should go down well with his buddy Rio)

Originally Posted by Rashid

Thing is Rashid is right, we are comparing this to our counties economy and standards.

Also i think the whole pickl on Nike this is a bit OTT they are one of many companies (just like Good Old M&S) that use these factories. Yet no one is having goes at them.

And the original comment in the news was by some Inbred Manc Cunt who was saying it was a cheap PR stunt, and the reason he wouldnt wear the stand up speak up logo on his trackie top in the tunnel was why Vierra was slating him. If it had been stick up for a player who has been for drugs offences he would have expected everyone to back him or go on strike.

So he is a Racist Inbred Manc Cunt (should go down well with his buddy Rio)

Ho Chi Minh (Hanoi) is as expensive as some Western cities. What part of this don't you get?

There's been an apologist attitude by mankind for far too many atrocities and abhorrences for my liking. Chamberlain turning a blind eye to Hitler. Revisionist historians like Eric J Hobsbawm saying that Stalin wasn't all that a bad man because it was done in the name of Communism which in its ideological form is a pure and just thing (apparently). Shit happens they say. What a disgusting attitude that is. This shit happens attitude is why we are still fighting for justice.

'In some intellectual circles, it is considered naive or foolish to be guided by moral principles. About this form of idiocy, I will have nothing to say.' Noam Chomsky

Rashid - You have unbelievably sunk to new depths you are a fucking cretin man. What else would they do? Go to fucking school and live like kids instead of glorified slaves you moron!

UMC - I agree that all the companies do it. Granted. But people need to sort thier fucking heads out and stop living in some fantasy world where Nike and the others are actually doing good over there. I've got a radical idea, how about paying them properly, letting them form unions, improving appalling safety conditions and stop beating people who don't do overtime.

If you try to form a union then it is almost certain you will be hospitalised, in some cases workers are just killed. Why? Because the large company runs the area, they bring the money in to the government so as far as the leaders are concerned they can murder as many workers as they want as long as they don't move somewhere else.

They have every right to recieve fair pay for thier work relative to employees in other counties such as Germany or the US. They have every right not to have to work 20 hour days and to be tossed aside if this harms thier health. They are depending on people in western countries to help them because they sure as hell aren't going to be able to get out of that situation on thier own. For anyone to consider them "happy" with thier conditions is an insult to human intelligence.

And on the issue of racism. It is a big issue. At least half our country hold racist opinions or beliefs and the response to these is one of apathy. As can be seen on here every time Rashid peddles his lazy racist stereotypes and hardly anyone bats an eyelid.

I actually agree with Gary Neville on this one. He's said there is a danger that companies might support a campaign like this in order to market themselves globally.

I don't think it's the sole (no pun intended) reason for Nike doing it, but they wouldn't be using this kind of time and money without there being something in it for them. That's a fact.

Therefore, I applaud Neville for having the guts to speak out about it. Fair play to the lad.

Other than that, he's a twat.

You're being ironic, right? If not, this is without doubt the biggest piece of turdshit you have ever posted on this forum.

People who have had a sustainable way of life in their villages are having their communities destroyed by the false promises made to their young of a better way of life. They move to the cities where they get supposedly great jobs in call centres or sweatshops. What little they make is often sent back to try and help the families left behind, who no can no longer maintain their crops as the generation who would have taken it over have moved. The rest is used to pay for their luxury 10-to-a-room accomodation and some fucking rice so they don't starve.

If they injure themselves there is no health service to treat them, they are too scared to try to claim comensation, and if they cannot continue they are fucked off back to their villages, where they cannot make a contribution.

Those that stay are in such poverty that they will never know the luxury of being able to buy computers, clothes, cars, or even a fucking bar of chocolate. Call it what you want but it boils down to slavery. Fact.

Oi Stu/Scouse Missionary,

"Dem dam dago's shud prayse to dur capitalist god that dey haf jobs.

Dey cud be tending der crops and relievin thurd wurld povertee/hunger, insted dem luckee gets ar eurnin 3p a weak wurkin in a luvelee swetshup makin shurts fur Nike.

Dey shud cunt der luckee sturs."

Rashid

F*cking pathetic trying to justify the exploitation of Third World workers in that way. Nothing can justify treating these people like sh*t.

They are human beings, not cattle fodder for large corporations.