You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nike and Racism

Nunavut Patrick

JUst read were Gary Neville has some concerns about all this 'stand up speak out' being sponsored by Nike, and how it smacks of corporate opportunism taking advantage of an emotional issue. Have to agree (although somewhere he must have an alterior motive?) with the manc turd.

It's getting ridiculous, Holland wearing those shirts? What about the native Amerindians in N and S America? Why weren't the Dutch wearing red for the red man? A touch of yellow for the Asians? What aboot mixed coloreds that suffered in South Africa? Where was the 'mulatto' color?

Should be a good dividend for Nike this year. Wonder if little ten year-old Juan is getting a bonus in his Honduran sweatshop.

JUst read were Gary Neville has some concerns about all this 'stand up speak out' being sponsored by Nike, and how it smacks of corporate opportunism taking advantage of an emotional issue. Have to agree (although somewhere he must have an alterior motive?) with the manc turd.

It's getting ridiculous, Holland wearing those shirts? What about the native Amerindians in N and S America? Why weren't the Dutch wearing red for the red man? A touch of yellow for the Asians? What aboot mixed coloreds that suffered in South Africa? Where was the 'mulatto' color?

Should be a good dividend for Nike this year. Wonder if little ten year-old Juan is getting a bonus in his Honduran sweatshop.

L'il Gary is gonna land himself in a huge pile of shit over this. Who do Nike sponsor again?

Gotta hate bumfluff Neville. Thinks he has to comment on fucking anything and everything when he actually knows the square root of nothing.

helmet.

As for child labour, I don't see the problem with it. These scally Honduran kids would only be running wild on the streets, rioting and stealing and generally being a menace toi the good Hondurian people if they weren't making footies and shit.

Tellin ye, if someone had offered me £20 a week at 11 years old then I'd have bitten their hand off. My paper round paid just £6, and I had a demanding 12 year old girlfreind to feed sweets to!!

I bet these very same Honduran kids aren't complaining when they're running around in their free Nike trainers and eating all the penny sweets £20 can buy.

As for "sweat shop". Don;t make me laugh. Fucking hell, the women in my office refused to let me open the window all day yesterday. It was almost 74 degrees in the sun.

They don't know they're fucking born, kids these days.

Agree Tom, if Nike wasn't there what would the kids do instead? Better to be doing something constructive rather than nowt at all.

In India I am sure the women making clothing would rather be doing that than being self employed and tending to paddy fields with no pay from the husbands.

Supply and demand, as long as it fits in with that individual countries culture then its fine. People talk of factory conditions but the conditions are only bad compared to England, in that country its the norm.

Agree Tom, if Nike wasn't there what would the kids do instead? Better to be doing something constructive rather than nowt at all.

In India I am sure the women making clothing would rather be doing that than being self employed and tending to paddy fields with no pay from the husbands.

Supply and demand, as long as it fits in with that individual countries culture then its fine. People talk of factory conditions but the conditions are only bad compared to England, in that country its the norm.

Not sure what those scallies would do- except maybe go to school. But Third World governments give huge tax breaks to big companies, so there are no schools.

I'm sure the Indian women would rather be in the paddy fields (harvesting Irishman) working for their own families that the garment factory for a pittance, then having to spend the money they make on Kraft Minute Rice from the store.

Tom, get those women under control. It all went wrong when we gave them a) the vote and b) the right to drive.

Your mentals, they worked people to death for literally next to nothing. The have armed guards willing to shoot people.

They have overtime which you get fired if you don't take and this results in having something like 2 hours sleep per day. If Little Gary has finally got round to reading no logo and realises just how scummy nike (and rebok for that matter and most of the others are) and feels the need to say something then good for him. I just worry given his past mouthing off that he may actually damage the cause he's speaking for.

Still its a far better thing than complaining about the mis treatment of multi millionaire footballers.

*removes tongue from cheek*

rashid, surely you know me by now. How could anyone could think that post was serious??

Child labour is a scourge on humanity imo. Kids should be playing and going to school. That's it.

My post was done in true Viz letters page style fella.

Get with the programme, homey.

rashid, surely you know me by now. How could anyone could think that post was serious??

Child labour is a scourge on humanity imo. Kids should be playing and going to school. That's it.

*Christian removes robot arm from robot body and congratulates Tom on yet ANOTHER shocking discovery*

To the Manor Born!

Your mentals, they worked people to death for literally next to nothing. The have armed guards willing to shoot people.

They have overtime which you get fired if you don't take and this results in having something like 2 hours sleep per day. If Little Gary has finally got round to reading no logo and realises just how scummy nike (and rebok for that matter and most of the others are) and feels the need to say something then good for him. I just worry given his past mouthing off that he may actually damage the cause he's speaking for.

Still its a far better thing than complaining about the mis treatment of multi millionaire footballers.

TWO hours sleep??

I just got back from my Stag do in Edinburgh and i only got one and a half for two nights running!

Chils labour is for wimps.

*waits for Rashid to agree* ;-)

Off course children labour is a tragedy. But saw a documentary once that really opened my eyes. If a poor family in the third world is dependant on what a child make to survive...what are the alternative??

Off course children labour is a tragedy. But saw a documentary once that really opened my eyes. If a poor family in the third world is dependant on what a child make to survive...what are the alternative??

aye. it's not really the work itself and the fact taht have to do it that is so wrong. After all, as you rightly say, their entire families can depend on it.

What is really wrong is teh wages they pay inrelation to teh money they make.

If companies like Nike paid a decent wage in the first place then only the parents would have to work and child labour would be eliminated over night.

it really is that simple.

warmcup.jpg

But if they did pay them decent wages, the items would be much more expensive to buy in europe and then...

Well, you get my drift.

Not saying I approve of it.

Exactly. But it's not like the profit margins are tiny in the sports merchandise sector.

nike Trainers cost, literally, pennies to make and some are then sold for £100 a pair and upwards.

The key is getting the big players to accept smaller massive profits. How that is supposed to happen I've no idea, though.

Exactly. But it's not like the profit margins are tiny in the sports merchandise sector.

nike Trainers cost, literally, pennies to make and some are then sold for £100 a pair and upwards.

The key is getting the big players to accept smaller massive profits. How that is supposed to happen I've no idea, though.

the key to all this is smarten the fuck up like a gentleman and don't wear dirty sportswear like a Chav muthfucka.

Magical place - the training camp of the gentlemans revolution. See the sweet nectar of the honey fountain, the purest white cotton panties hanging like strong summer leaves on the mighty oak, beautiful rabbits hopping and frogs chirping, and.....Kate.....magestic, glittering in a silver robe and stroking the mane of the love beast, the feared and revered Unicorn.

All is not well though......Come Quick Sebastian!

This racism thing is getting silly now. There is no huge racism problem in this country, people are creating one for their own good so they can be goody goodys and wear a silly tshirt and wrist band.

lets not forget, lee bowyer wore that tshirt. yep, must mean a lot then.

Totally agree - things are continually getting blown out of all proportion.

Cant be arsed to read through all this.

What is two faced is That Fucking Inbred would be wearing Nike goods on the weekends and will no doubt have the B&W wrist bands as well. The guy is a fucking Prick, does he think Diadora gear is all made in the uk by guys being paid £250 a week.

Nike are singled out cos they are the biggest company.

I have commented on RAOTL so will put my point across here.

No matter who it was that made the kits, they all use the same countries.

Below is my response on Raotl.

Right

No matter which sportswear company make them they all work in similar conditions abroad.

You dont blame the cmpany for making them you blame the government for allowing their people to live in such poverty.

I bet you dont mind kicking a ball made in htese conditions or i bet you have a replica kit.

The only reason Nike are singled out is cos they are the biggest company.

They actually provide housing for their workers and only employ ppl old enough, but what happens in the case of the Footballs, is the ppl work form home and are paid in piece work, so they get the rest of the family to help cos they make more money, so thats why you will see 5 yr opld or 95 yr old making these. The Company (in Nikes Case) actually frown upon this if the people are found to be doing this.

The 5p a day is a reflection of the countries pay standards, if they were made here they would be by ppl earning £40-£50 a day.

Would you pay a gardener to dig your garden if he wanted £40 for it or would you let some boy scout do it for a fiver on Scouts Job Week. Its obv you would go for the cheaper, just like all the sports companies do not just Nike.

If you went to a factory in India where they make the shoes for example you will find a section for each make, Nike, Adidas, Reepok, Puma etc. If you notice a lot of the shoes are similar. cos they are made in the same place but with different Logos

The reason the trainers cost £80 is the shops that saell them are greedy.

They actually buy them for about £20-£30 and sell them for £80 they could sell them for £40 and make a killing but they decide to make even more profit.

Nike (and others) pay £2-3 to make a pair of shoes, then with the cost of running factories, shipping handling and all other over head cost, then sell them to the shops to make a profit but not a ridiculous one (if you take all the over heads into account). So IT IS actuall ythe shops that make the most money out of this not the Company.

Go to an outlet store and you will see Trainers that cost £150 in JJB or JD or Footlocker etc, going for about £70. Yes they make a profit (it is a business FFS) but not as much as the retailers

I don't agree that the wages are a fair reflection of the price of things in that country at all. According to figures for the most expensive cities in the world for 2004, Hanoi the capital of Vietnam, where Nike manufacture, is at 28, one place behind Berlin. Does that mean that German workers should earn the same wages? Does it shite.

I don't agree that the wages are a fair reflection of the price of things in that country at all. According to figures for the most expensive cities in the world for 2004, Hanoi the capital of Vietnam, where Nike manufacture, is at 28, one place behind Berlin. Does that mean that German workers should earn the same wages? Does it shite.

A lot of people in these third world countries make good money in respect of where they are living, 10 p to us is nowt but 10p of our money converted into theirs is a good rate.