You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roman's spendings

Captain

I ran across an article today which summed up Roman's spendings at Chelsea in the short time he's been there. They really blew my mind, they were much higher than I expected. The numbers are by World Soccer, December 2004:

Buying Chelsea shares: £58,922,200

Paying debts: £78,563,000

New training ground: £19,640,700

Termination of contracts: £9,820,300

Salaries: £29,461,100

Transfer fees: £202,199,000

-------------------------------------------------------------

Total: £398,606,300

--------------------------------------------------------------

It actually made me seriously doubt we can win the league as long as mr. A. is running that club with such a good manager.

It makes a £70M investment look like a minor fart in space.

I ran across an article today which summed up Roman's spendings at Chelsea in the short time he's been there. They really blew my mind, they were much higher than I expected. The numbers are by World Soccer, December 2004:

Buying Chelsea shares: £58,922,200

Paying debts: £78,563,000

New training ground: £19,640,700

Termination of contracts: £9,820,300

Salaries: £29,461,100

Transfer fees: £202,199,000

-------------------------------------------------------------

Total: £398,606,300

--------------------------------------------------------------

It actually made me seriously doubt we can win the league as long as mr. A. is running that club with such a good manager.

It makes a £70M investment look like a minor fart in space.

Unitl he either gets bored, Putin comes calling for him or football puts a cap on transfers then no one, not us, mancs, arsenal can compete.

Aye, they're fucked when he leaves.

I think he's just making a name for himself to make it more difficult for "them" to nail him. Don't know how long that will take though.

I still think we can beat them in cups, but their immense quallity in depth will be difficult to match in the league. It's not like Nunez would get a game if Duff is out...

Real Madriod have also had a virtually bottomless pit for years and years. They don't win the league every year, nir do they win the European Cup every year.

Fuck Chelsea. Bunch of no-mark bellends the lot of 'em. It'll all fall apart before too long. Sooner the better.

Real Madriod have also had a virtually bottomless pit for years and years. They don't win the league every year, nir do they win the European Cup every year.

Fuck Chelsea. Bunch of no-mark bellends the lot of 'em. It'll all fall apart before too long. Sooner the better.

The big difference between them is, at Chelsea, Mourinho is in full control of footballing matters. Mourinho decides who are bought and played. He even got Mutu fired.

Who the fuck knows what's going on at RM. They've had three managers since Mourinho came to Chelsea. And a president who thinks he's manager.

I'm afraid we're stuck with Chelsea for a while. Mourinho has really impressed me since he came to England. He obviously knows how to put a team together.

The big difference between them is, at Chelsea, Mourinho is in full control of footballing matters. Mourinho decides who are bought and played. He even got Mutu fired.

Who the fuck knows what's going on at RM. They've had three managers since Mourinho came to Chelsea. And a president who thinks he's manager.

I'm afraid we're stuck with Chelsea for a while. Mourinho has really impressed me since he came to England. He obviously knows how to put a team together.

Behave. Morinho has the easiest job in football of all time, ever!

I know how to buils a team too - Take about £200m and go an buy the best players with it.

Fuck me it's tough this team building lark.

That's NOT building a team! That's BUYING a team. Huge difference.

Don't ever defend Morinho. Not ever.

...And he has a shit coat. Don't ever forget the coat.

They might be able to buy who they want (for the most part) but they're still just a football team, and to say no one else can compete with them is ridiculous. Look at Madrid. They've spent absolute fortunes and don't have anywhere near as much to show for it as you might expect. So, we can compete, but we just need to make sure that any money we get in is invested wisely - i.e. in Morientes-quality players rather than squad players.

I think buying players just to be squad players is the wrong attitude anyway. It sends out the wrong message to the first eleven. The starting eleven won't feel enough pressure if they're performing badly because they know they'll get picked anyway, as per Harry Kewell - lets hope he returns with the form he was finding just before he got injured. I think any player that is bought should have at least the potential to give the manager a selection headache.

Sorry lads but we're all fucked with them around.

Jose is a good manager, he proved what he's capable of on more limited funds with Porto. And now he has a bottomless pit of money to buy players.

As for Mr A getting bored or being pulled by the russian government, so what?, that will not mean chelsea are fucked. The players are bought. The dept has been cleared and they get rid of those they dont need.

Mr A goes then they have a very big wage bill but no debts of any kind. Chelsea always paid high wages. It will make no difference. They will still have the funds to make one big purchase a season. Which might be all they need from now on.

What really annoys me is people saying well united, arsenal and liverpool spend a lot on players and teams had to compete with them. Where did this money come from? Success thats where, success on the pitch.

Not just being given it. I dont like united but they are a big club who have earned their current financial status by being the most successful club in football at a key time. I dislike them mainly due to the majority of their fans.

Chelsea, i don't mind their fans too much, i like their manager, but i fucking hate that club.

They might be able to buy who they want (for the most part) but they're still just a football team, and to say no one else can compete with them is ridiculous. Look at Madrid. They've spent absolute fortunes and don't have anywhere near as much to show for it as you might expect. So, we can compete, but we just need to make sure that any money we get in is invested wisely - i.e. in Morientes-quality players rather than squad players.

My post little further up explains the difference between RM and Chelsea imo.

does anyone fancy havin' a whipround, and gettin' in touch with a hitman of some professional repute, to have old jose bumped off. cos thats the only way we're going to win the title while those two are in partnership.frightening innit.do you think if we throw iin an extra few quid he'd do demento for us while he was there.

Without Abramovich, they would be fucked for the simple reason that their outgoings will dramatically dwarf their income. Their wage bill must be pushing £100m a year by now, and that figure will only go north. They do not earn that sort of cash, nor will they, no matter how many new sponsorship deals they sign; they haven't got the fan-base.

Abramovich is certainly underwriting everything, but I imagine that their fanbase is growing and will grow further as success begins. Much as I hate them they already have a very high profile in the media and this will grow futher. They have set up a lucrative deal with adidas, and I'm sure they will be commercially savvy in other ways. Its a big farce though. Any success they have will always be tainted by the fact that a billionarie came along and bought it for them. Well done Chelsea. I live in hope that Putin comes along and sends Roman off to some Siberian prison.

Abramovich is certainly underwriting everything, but I imagine that their fanbase is growing and will grow further as success begins. Much as I hate them they already have a very high profile in the media and this will grow futher. They have set up a lucrative deal with adidas, and I'm sure they will be commercially savvy in other ways. Its a big farce though. Any success they have will always be tainted by the fact that a billionarie came along and bought it for them. Well done Chelsea. I live in hope that Putin comes along and sends Roman off to some Siberian prison.

You're not wrong in saying that their success will bring new support, this is why Liverpool have such a huge number of out of town supporters, because through the 1970's and 80's we were by far the most succesful club in England and at times also in Europe. This is why we have nationwide and international support which fills me with pride. Evertonians continually see the fact that we have supporters from all over Britain and international supporters as something to beat us with, when infact they are completely jealous of our success and the broad support that has followed. They are smalltime and revel in that status.

However, if Chelsea were to have the same kind of domination of both the domestic league and also Europe over a prolonged spell similar to that we had, Abramovich or not they would end up with the same kind of broad British and also international support that has helped to make us be the major force we currently are, albeit without the success to go with it as it stands.

I am far from full of hope at our current standing and relevance in the English game at the moment. I can see us being usurped on our own territory by a Russian crook.

You're not wrong in saying that their success will bring new support, this is why Liverpool have such a huge number of out of town supporters, because through the 1970's and 80's we were by far the most succesful club in England and at times also in Europe. However, if Chelsea were to have the same kind of domination of both the domestic league and also Europe over a prolonged spell similar to that we had, Abramovich or not they would end up with the same kind of broad British and also international support that has helped to make us be the major force we currently are, albeit without the success to go with it as it stands.

That's true. Your allegiance to a club starts as a kid. If your local team is crap, you look elsewhere because you want to be associated with success not failure. I'm sure that applies to the vast majority of foreign reds on this forum, as well as the British OOT's.

I was lucky to have been born in Liverpool with a fanatical red for a father and our dominance about to take off. It was inevitable where my future football allegiance would lie.

Three years ago you saw very few Chelsea shirts worn by kids on holiday. Now they are nearly as evident as ours. Once they have caught the bug they will not change their allegiance in their youth.

If the current status quo persists for a generation oure share of the support will dwindle and our bank balance and chances of success will follow.

That's true. Your allegiance to a club starts as a kid. If your local team is crap, you look elsewhere because you want to be associated with success not failure. I'm sure that applies to the vast majority of foreign reds on this forum, as well as the British OOT's.

I was lucky to have been born in Liverpool with a fanatical red for a father and our dominance about to take off. It was inevitable where my future football allegiance would lie.

Three years ago you saw very few Chelsea shirts worn by kids on holiday. Now they are nearly as evident as ours. Once they have caught the bug they will not change their allegiance in their youth.

If the current status quo persists for a generation oure share of the support will dwindle and our bank balance and chances of success will follow.

Both posts are true. Over here you could not buy a Chelsea shirt in a shop, now they're popping up, and with addidas it will become more global as they are much bigger than umbro. I became a Red living in England in the early-mid 70s more because of Kevin Keegan than Liverpool's success, which was just beginning. After Keegan went to HAmburg, I was entrenched as a Red, and because I played GK teh transition was easy from Keegan to Clemence.

The problem isn't Liverpool as a club though (which is still the most popular club in Norway, along with Man U), but rather problems with Reebok.... There is a demand, but almost no-one are selling the shirts!

I was actually at the Norspo convention this weekend speaking with a representative from reebok. The problem in Norway was that reebok in scandinavia struggled. As a retailer it was very difficult dealing with Reebok. That has changed for the better, and i think you will find it easier finding a Liverpool shirt from now on.

By the way...does anyone know when the deal with Carlsberg expires?? I have read somewhere that it runs out after this season. But the guy from Reebok told me that it runs out in 2006, and that Liverpool and Carlsberg are negotiating a new deal. Anyone know something??