You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism

johnb

14 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

You just have to shake your head reading that gabbage directed at Wrighty. Too many keyboard warriors on the internet.

Invite him to meet Ian face to face. See what he say's to him then. 

I really fucking hate 'social' media. 

• Upvote 2

I'm not a fan of Ian Wright as a television personality at all,but anybody who is subject to that kind of abuse simply because of skin colour deserves a chance to bring the abuser to some form of justice. Would have been better to omit the kid's name and just pass that along to the authorities though,as said earlier.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jennings said:

"I wos hacked, honnist !"

I saw it online at the time and it’s just disgusting. 

Then I saw a screen grab of one of his social media accounts where he claims he was hacked and I thought ‘yeah, good look with that one’. 

But now I see the word “mom” in one of the messages and I’m genuinely rethinking my stance. No one in Ireland uses “mom”. It’s “mam” or “mum”, but never “mom”. Maybe it autocorrected on US setting or something?  

If this kid did do it, then he deserves stringing up just as much for using “mom”. 

1 minute ago, JohnnyH said:

I saw it online at the time and it’s just disgusting. 

Then I saw a screen grab of one of his social media accounts where he claims he was hacked and I thought ‘yeah, good look with that one’. 

But now I see the word “mom” in one of the messages and I’m genuinely rethinking my stance. No one in Ireland uses “mom”. It’s “mam” or “mum”, but never “mom”. Maybe it autocorrected on US setting or something?  

If this kid did do it, then he deserves stringing up just as much for using “mom”. 

It is possible some moron within a group 'messed' with his phone,to be fair but its still despicable using that language.

5 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Twitter is a fucking cesspit. I used to enjoy it but really beginning to hate it now. It seems to really bring the worst out in people

I think it's more that it brings out the worst people.  The horrible scum that sat in their rooms wanking into socks and dreaming up fights they'd never win in real life, now get to be cunts to people from a position of safety,

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ))) said:

I'm in two minds about this.

From Wright's POV, this was probably the one that broke the camel's back and I think the post was quite an emotive reaction to what is probably a sample of the amount of abuse he gets on a daily basis. What the lad's said is completely unacceptable, it's beyond disgusting and should rightly be broadcast/reported to provide a reality check on where we are as a society.

On the other hand, trial by social media could have been prevented by editing the lad's name out of the picture. His behaviour is vile and unacceptable but should be dealt with by the relevant authorities. Broadcasting his name has probably ruined his life for the foreseeable. People are finding his relatives and friends and contacting them to alert them about his behaviour (and let's be honest, probably to echo back some of the abuse he's given Wright).

Live by the sword... 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ))) said:

On the other hand, trial by social media could have been prevented by editing the lad's name out of the picture. His behaviour is vile and unacceptable but should be dealt with by the relevant authorities. Broadcasting his name has probably ruined his life for the foreseeable.

Tough shit.

7 hours ago, ))) said:

On the other hand, trial by social media could have been prevented by editing the lad's name out of the picture. 

Absolutely not -- that is the platform. No one hacked his phone.

7 hours ago, ))) said:

but should be dealt with by the relevant authorities.

That's the rub -- Twitter IS the relevant authority, as is Facebook etc etc

They should be accountable for this type of content. Morally and legally.

What do you think would happen if a newspaper printed this?

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Absolutely not -- that is the platform. No one hacked his phone.

That's the rub -- Twitter IS the relevant authority, as is Facebook etc etc

They should be accountable for this type of content. Morally and legally.

What do you think would happen if a newspaper printed this?

They should be accountable to the relevant authorities, not an uncontrolled mob. The same way a newspaper (or any broadcast media) would be accountable to the relevant bodies. Twitter is not the relevant body as they have absolutely fuck all power if someone finds personal details (let's say of a relative) from another platform and takes matters into their own course of action.

He's committed a crime and therefore this should be a police matter. 

4 minutes ago, ))) said:

They should be accountable to the relevant authorities, not an uncontrolled mob. The same way a newspaper (or any broadcast media) would be accountable to the relevant bodies. Twitter is not the relevant body as they have absolutely fuck all power if someone finds personal details (let's say of a relative) from another platform and takes matters into their own course of action.

He's committed a crime and therefore this should be a police matter. 

Neither does a newspaper or TV outlet. The difference is the legal action that would be brought to the paper or TV station as an entity. Not to mention the obvious fact that Twitter makes absolutely no effort to "censor" content the way any other outlet has to. In fact you could reasonably argue that Twitter/Facebook etc promote that type of content.

7 hours ago, ))) said:

I'm in two minds about this.

From Wright's POV, this was probably the one that broke the camel's back and I think the post was quite an emotive reaction to what is probably a sample of the amount of abuse he gets on a daily basis. What the lad's said is completely unacceptable, it's beyond disgusting and should rightly be broadcast/reported to provide a reality check on where we are as a society.

On the other hand, trial by social media could have been prevented by editing the lad's name out of the picture. His behaviour is vile and unacceptable but should be dealt with by the relevant authorities. Broadcasting his name has probably ruined his life for the foreseeable. People are finding his relatives and friends and contacting them to alert them about his behaviour (and let's be honest, probably to echo back some of the abuse he's given Wright).

I hope it's ruined his future, fullstop.

Sadly, it'll proably make him a martyr and he'll get real life 'likes' from his equally stupid friends.

We're raising a generation of fucking idiots who have been told they're special their whole lives and have never been told no.

The echo chamber of social media only solidifies this character leading to him and his ilk feeling immune to consequence.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

The club is American owned ffs or have the idiots slating us forgot about that? 

No win situation for the club. If nothing is said you don't care about racism and if you do we'll bring up the skeletons in the closet to undermine the gesture. Social media gonna social media. 

40 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

No win situation for the club. If nothing is said you don't care about racism and if you do we'll bring up the skeletons in the closet to undermine the gesture. Social media gonna social media. 

I made the error of checking the comments on this story on the BBC facebook page regarding this good gesture by our players.

And I literally had to shake my head. The vitriol and abuse our club was receiving for doing a decent thing shouldn't have surprised me but it still did. One idiot even went as far as saying Liverpool shouldn't receive any credit for this because we are at fault for rushing the PL back into resumption, leading to more covid 19 deaths. Mind boggling.

I felt really proud when I saw that photo.

For you lads who get wound up by Facebook and Twitter posts, simply delete people who are bad tools. 

Im sure some of you scan GOT for the scummiest bastard to post. Who cares. 

We come not to post.

• Upvote 2