You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (Jun 17-21 2024)

wtwheader.jpg

Monday Jun 17:

Souness says he’s spoke to Jocky and he sounded great. Fantastic news that, such a relief. Souey says he thinks he’s going to make a full recovery, but I don’t know if that’s his interpretation of it or its based on what Hansen himself said. Either way, let’s just hope that’s the case.

Three games at the Euros today and I didn’t watch any. I think I’m done with it you know. I watched some bits and pieces over the weekend (nice for Gakpo to get a goal and man of the match) but I feel like it’s just wasting time that I could spend doing something else. I don’t have any interest in watching this and I’ve been trying to figure out why. Initially I thought maybe I’m just burnt out from footy and need the summer off, but it’s not that. It’s that I don’t actually enjoy watching it anymore because of VAR. I’ve seen the clips of what happened to Belgium today with the disallowed Lukaku goal, and yeah, I’m done with this shit. They’ve ruined the game completely with this fucking traffic warden bullshit. Obviously I’ll still watch the Reds but when it comes to just sitting down and watching random games of footy, I think I’m out.

Ten Hag is a case isn’t he? Utterly fucking deluded to the point where he strikes a perfect balance between being arrogant as fuck but shit enough at his job that it’s funny rather than offensive. If he was good I’d absolutely hate him as he seems like a complete bellend. But because he stinks, I can’t get enough of his egotistical nonsense.

The latest guff from him is about how he felt about United talking to other managers before going back to him. “Manchester United have told me that they spoke with Tuchel, but they eventually came to the conclusion that they already have the best manager." Amazing. He’s going to be great fun this season.

View full article

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Given that he struggles with Jota how the fuck is he going to manage this lad? Although he actually just refers to Jota as “J”

'Jota' is the word for J in the Portuguese alphabet, so technically your father is correct.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

“Three games at the Euros today and I didn’t watch any. I think I’m done with it you know. I watched some bits and pieces over the weekend (nice for Gakpo to get a goal and man of the match) but I feel like it’s just wasting time that I could spend doing something else. I don’t have any interest in watching this and I’ve been trying to figure out why. Initially I thought maybe I’m just burnt out from footy and need the summer off, but it’s not that. It’s that I don’t actually enjoy watching it anymore because of VAR. I’ve seen the clips of what happened to Belgium today with the disallowed Lukaku goal, and yeah, I’m done with this shit. They’ve ruined the game completely with this fucking traffic warden bullshit. Obviously I’ll still watch the Reds but when it comes to just sitting down and watching random games of footy, I think I’m out.”

I’m sorry to be the one to tell you this, but it is your job.

Your livelihood is based on pretending this thing you see is football.

Obviously it is not.

You know that.

I know that.

But the fanzine before, and the diaries, memberships and podcasts that we all subscribe to are all based on that.

If you’re not in the mood to listen to some American woman explain the offside rule to you, too fucking bad.

If you’re not in the mood, you get in the mood.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Em City said:

Given that he struggles with Jota how the fuck is he going to manage this lad? Although he actually just refers to Jota as “J”

'Jota' is the word for J in the Portuguese alphabet, so technically your father is correct.

I'm 99.99999999999999% sure he doesn't know that though.

On VAR: It's actually been pretty good in this tournament, notwithstanding the Taylor-Atwell fiasco (which just tells us what we already know: the problem isn't the technology, the problem is the Premier League half-wits using it).

On Trent: He has been shit. Not uniquely so, but as a player clearly playing out of position (badly), he's deservedly going to be dropped.

• Upvote 1

On the Champions League format, there are no groups. We play 8 different teams (two from each pot). All teams go into one massive league table despite playing different sides.

The top 8 go straight to round of 16. Sides 9-24 out of 36 get a round of 32 knockout. The other 12 go out.

In other words we have to be fucking terrible to not get a knockout round.

18 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

On VAR: It's actually been pretty good in this tournament, notwithstanding the Taylor-Atwell fiasco (which just tells us what we already know: the problem isn't the technology, the problem is the Premier League half-wits using it).

On Trent: He has been shit. Not uniquely so, but as a player clearly playing out of position (badly), he's deservedly going to be dropped.

Was it the PGMOL crew who disallowed the Lukaku one too?

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Was it the PGMOL crew who disallowed the Lukaku one too?

No. That decision was contentious, obviously, but didn't take the VAR official over three minutes to look at replays! 

23 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

No. That decision was contentious, obviously, but didn't take the VAR official over three minutes to look at replays! 

My point is that the technology IS the problem just by its very existence.

The official was doing his job in disallowing that goal. I don't think it is contentious, he had no choice because this is how the laws are supposed to be applied now (which is stupid, but not the refs' fault) and they're introducing new levels of tech to micro analyse everything. 

So as shit as PGMOL are, technology is a big part of the problem and would still be shit even if the refs got everything right. And that's before we even start on the buzz kill of not being able to properly celebrate. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dave u said:

My point is that the technology IS the problem just by its very existence.

The official was doing his job in disallowing that goal. I don't think it is contentious, he had no choice because this is how the laws are supposed to be applied now (which is stupid, but not the refs' fault) and they're introducing new levels of tech to micro analyse everything. 

So as shit as PGMOL are, technology is a big part of the problem and would still be shit even if the refs got everything right. And that's before we even start on the buzz kill of not being able to properly celebrate. 

I don't have a particularly strong view one way or the other. But if they are going to use the technology, at least hire officials who are competent to use it.

I've watched most games in the tournament so far and think it's worked well: the vast majority of decisions (and there seem to be fewer than in Premier League games) have been correct and swift.

Incidentally, by the far the worst reffing performance of the tournament so far was by the Romanian ref in the Turkish game last night. Nothing to do with VAR. But with a definite whiff of corruption.

I agree with your sentiment, I'd just rather they didn't use it at all. The genie is out the bottle now though. Wolves did their best to put it back in but the other 19 fuckers decided they'd rather just continue to kill footy instead.

• dave u unpinned this topic