You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2024

13 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Aggro on the forum is a fine reason for supporting something.

I think England overcoming some challenges, getting to the final, going three nil up, and then losing, would probably be the best long term story arc for the forum. 

Very little could top Italy beating England on penalties four years ago. Having £120 on Italy at 8/1 made it even more difficult for me to feign disappointment when consoled by Spanish family members.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, sir roger said:

I don't think the England team is anywhere near as dislikeable as the John Terry / Beckham lot and as for the fans, there are nobheads everywhere even amongst our support. I don't think they will win it because of Southgate's cautious tactics and expect it will be between France and Germany for the winners. 

I don’t get emotionally tied up in much football these days, but I still follow football and the instinct to feel something never leaves. My love for England dispersed weirdly when I moved away and went to uni, which is weird really as it’s the wrong way round. My love for Liverpool gradually waned from Kenny coming and going to Gerrard finishing. My emotions have been less and less attached since.

I always find it interesting how we are with the anyone but England stuff. Obvious roots to it all on a political basis and the link into football’s tribal setting, but I always wonder if other countries have this. As @sir roger says, there’s dick heads everywhere, but other countries seem to put it to one side and get behind their nation’s teams. If anything it’s a chance for everyone to be unified in a continually polarised world, but it has the opposite effect over here and more so from the Merseyside area, obviously.

Familiarity breeds contempt as they say, and no more so than on these shores, where we look further afield approvingly at patriotism, religion, culture etc, but absolutely detest and reject the ones we have been brought up in. 

I love when these tournaments are on - from the collectible coins of 1990 when I fucking loved it, to now when it’s wall to wall football to have on in the background while I work from home, with the odd trip out to the ale house with friends and/or family to watch - everyone is in a good mood. Summertime, unity and football. I’m in

• Upvote 3

Germany will win it for Kaiser Franz.

Italy will go deeper than predicted. 

It’ll be a slow burner though with the painful, jeopardy-less group stages where it’s more difficult to get eliminated than to stay in. 

I’ll enjoy it once it gets going, but it’s a far cry from the majesty of the 8-team Euros and 24-team World Cup, when bad teams didn’t qualify and every game mattered.

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

You didn’t watch and like the World Cup as a kid?

It used to be boss with amazing players you’d never heard of before. 86 was the first real one for me, although I vaguely remember bits of 82, particularly the Italy Brazil 3-2 and NI beating Spain.

86 had the cool Denmark team, Josimar belting one past Pat Jennings, Maradona… magic.

Honestly - not really, no.

Of course I didn't have the dislike I have for it now as a kid and i do recall having a passing interest in the 82 world cup - but certainly by time i was an adult i was just not into it and that grew as i became more aware of the world around me and started to experience going the game and became politically aware etc...

It grew big time post Hillsborough and over the years has become what it is now - a strong dislike.

I just can't buy into this standing for the same cause as people who call me a murderer, a victim....who mock poverty, who perpetuate stereotypes against me.....who boo silences for the deaths of LFC supporters....who read the s*n and believe its lies...

I can't stand and sing that dirge of a so called national anthem that bows and scrapes to a figure i am totally opposed to the existence of.

And i have no interest in the xenophobic shite that readily comes with ingerlund.

In terms of just watching it as it is football - i get that argument 100% - but i just can't get into it, there is no emotional attachment and no investment and as a result i just don't get any buzz from it or feel any excitement....it jist does not matter.

As the saying goes though - to each his own!

• Like 1

Can we just discuss the tournament?

All this negativity has been done to death countless times. Don't like England? fair enough, support another nation.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

England are 11/4 favourites to win this. Managed by Gareth Southgate. Having last won a meaningful tournament 58 years ago.

Portugal at 8s and Italy at 16s.

I'd make them 11/4 to go out with a whimper to the first decent side they face, playing the exact same safety-first shite from the first minute to the last.

Edit: Those Italy odds are madness. Might have a pop at that.

7 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

England are 11/4 favourites to win this. Managed by Gareth Southgate. Having last won a meaningful tournament 58 years ago.

Jota is 50/1 to be top scorer and so is Bruno Fernandes. Portugal are probably going to the SF and they’ll surely have more than one goal scorer.

19 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

How are Italy looking post-Chiellini?

22 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Favourites in other countries as well?

Sounds like England fans are skewing the odds over here.

30 minutes ago, Elite said:

Can we just discuss the tournament?

All this negativity has been done to death countless times. Don't like England? fair enough, support another nation.

I remember supporting Spain in Rafa’s time, that was fun.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Elite said:

Favourites in other countries as well?

Sounds like England fans are skewing the odds over here.

Unsurprising really. On paper, England have a very good team and should go far - it's the manager who is the problem. They consistently play like less than the sum of their parts, especially when the pressure is on.

• Upvote 1

Ill pick some games out and watch, not necessarily England games but good match ups.

As regards England  I found it hard to follow them when the likes of Terry, the Nevilles, Ferdinand and Lampard were playing given what massive cunts they were and are

The current lot seem to be somewhat more agreeable so that's good.

What I cant get past is the booing of Barnes, Fowler, McManaman back in the day whilst their favourite boys "Merse" and "Wrighty" played and contributed fuck all.  That and the hostility I've had travelling round this septic Isle when I've opened my mouth I hope England are roundly twatted just to piss their fans off.  Anybody else's reasons for liking or disliking them I don't consider.

I dont bear grudges for long. Only a lifetime.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

How are Italy looking post-Chiellini?

No better than okay, but I guess it doesn't matter once they get to a tournament.

England is a weird one. They could arguably put out the best front six in the tournament. Rice at the base of midfield, Foden and Bellingham ahead of him. Kane up top, Saka on the right, a rejuvenated Sancho on the left.  Good options in Palmer, Mainoo, Watkins, Bowen and some others I've forgotten. But they're England, and they're managed by Southgate. So they'll get old manned by Italy or someone else half decent at some point. 

• Upvote 1

Folk up here are getting properly ramped up about it, I know a few going over to Germany.

I honestly couldn't give a toss, VAR has completely ruined Football for me, it's just another sport now. Scotland will go out at the first available opportunity & it'll all be forgotten about by August.

I might watch the odd game in the flat but that'll be it for me.

• Upvote 1

What's with all the stereotypical assumptions people that don't want England to win "hate all players & manager"

Maybe people are fed up and can't stand everything that surrounds the national team, the media hype bullshit and if anything the fans are just as bad for tagging along. We've won nothing for almost 60 years, stop giving it the big'un as they would say, know your role and shut your mouths.

Besides a few whiny embarrassing cheats and guys that like to expose themselves in public, most the players are ok and besides Southgate's bland, boring football (which he's well within his rights to implement) I have nothing against him.

2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

But if England win it surely Southgate will be snapped up by Sir Jim'll Brexit. 

That's another reason to not be arsed about how they do - not having our incumbent government basking in the reflected glory of an England victory  (which they will).

It'd be nice if we could have a Euros thread where everything isn't about England, particularly the performative "I'm not watching any of it, but..." gnashing of teeth.

It's every bit as tedious as the media love in "It's Coming Home" bollocks.