You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

High blood pressure. What a twat.

Spent most of today in hospital. I'm on medication for hypertension, have been for a year or so but it's made fuck all difference so I've booked an appointment on Thursday for a meds review and i stopped taking the meds.

Earlier today I suddenly got a massive, massive headache. Lasted about a minute then it went as quickly as it had arrived. Tested my BP which was 199/119. I rang my ex as I thought I was genuinely in trouble. After much nagging from her I called 111 who told me to go straight to a&e. Had a few tests and the doc told me it was a warning and that the meds I'd stopped taking are literally keeping me alive.

Massive shock really. I'm a (I think) very young 56, I've lost well over a stone in the last month or so (couple more to go though), reduced salt and eating more healthily than I ever have but these things are just lurking there waiting to kill you anyway.

I'd highly recommend you lot get your BP measured. If it wasn't for my ex buying a machine a year or so ago I'd never have known my BP was high and there's a fair chance I'd have karked it at some point. Getting older is proper arse. 

• Upvote 15

Why the fuck would you stop your medication? 

All the male side of my family have high BP , and are on meds for it . Even my brother who has zero excess fat and  exercises regularly has been put on pills - you can get as fit and healthy as you like but it's only going to make a small modicum of difference .

3 minutes ago, elvis said:

All the male side of my family have high BP , and are on meds for it . Even my brother who has zero excess fat and  exercises regularly has been put on pills - you can get as fit and healthy as you like but it's only going to make a small modicum of difference .

Are they all just stressed because they're related to you?

• Haha 2

I went for a medical for a job I was after about 20 years ago and they told me my BP was too high and to get medicated. I'm still on the meds now and always will be, I've got a BP monitor at home and I'm within my range so that's good. Cutting alcohol right down and generally eating better had also helped. Now if I could just tackle this bastard arthritis.......

Yeah I've got high blood pressure, have done since I was about 33 and have been on meds ever since. 

It's a family trait,  both my uncles had it at the same age despite one being in the navy and the other being a fit amateur boxer. 

I'm probably going to have to have my meds tweaked as your body seems to adapt to them over time. I liked the sound of that injection they're trialling though where they give it to you every six months and it lowers your BP. 

• Upvote 1

I've been on Losartan for about 5 years. Started off on a low dose which has gradually increased to 100mg.

I had to go for a Doppler (circulation test in the legs and feet) just before Christmas and they couldn't do it because my blood pressure was dangerously high and would give an incorrect reading.

They emailed my GP while I was there and told me if I have any headache, flashing lights or shortness of breath I was to dial 999 immediately, no messing about because it could be a stroke or heart attack.

I'm now on 100mg Losartan and 12.5 mg Felopidine and my BP is now much better.

It was 195 over 110 so not as high as yours Lurtzy, but higher than it should be by a huge margin.

I'm a very unfit 61 who was diagnosed with MS 25 years ago so I can't exercise and keep the weight off and this has caused other health issues like Diabetes amongst others.

This was a bit of a shock though because I had absolutely no symptoms.

They call it the silent killer and I can see why.

I've got high blood pressure despite being quite fit and in decent shape. My diet is excellent at the moment.

It's genetic, seems to be you either suffer with this or cholesterol.

I take Losartan.

• Upvote 1

My GP died about 25 years, haven't seen a doctor or been in a hospital in that time. I'd be interested in picking up one of those machines if they're reasonably priced.

Just now, No2 said:

My GP died about 25 years, haven't seen a doctor or been in a hospital in that time. I'd be interested in picking up one of those machines if they're reasonably priced.

That's some going.

3 minutes ago, No2 said:

Dunno why that made me laugh. Other GPs are available.

• Haha 1

Have always had a BP monitor since I first started medication for hypertension about 20 years ago. Vital piece of kit to have. 

Good luck Kurtz. Hope you recover soon. Keep on the meds  I'd have karked it long ago only for them.

11 minutes ago, No2 said:

I think mine was about £20off Amazon

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, No2 said:

My GP died about 25 years, haven't seen a doctor or been in a hospital in that time. 

14 minutes ago, redinblack said:

I think mine was about £20off Amazon

They really do sell everything on there don't they.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, elvis said:

I'm on a cocktail of Losartan, Ramipril, Lorvacs and Amlopidine plus a statin. I have to spend time dividing them out into one of those little daily clip box things that old people have and frankly I couldn't be arsed as they didn't seem to be working. I feel like my gp has just chucked everything going at me and left me to get on with it. 

28 minutes ago, Lurtz said:

I'm on a cocktail of Losartan, Ramipril, Lorvacs and Amlopidine plus a statin. I have to spend time dividing them out into one of those little daily clip box things that old people have and frankly I couldn't be arsed as they didn't seem to be working. I feel like my gp has just chucked everything going at me and left me to get on with it. 

I've got one of those boxes......ahem.......

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah I've got high blood pressure, have done since I was about 33 and have been on meds ever since. 

It's a family trait,  both my uncles had it at the same age despite one being in the navy and the other being a fit amateur boxer. 

I'm probably going to have to have my meds tweaked as your body seems to adapt to them over time. I liked the sound of that injection they're trialling though where they give it to you every six months and it lowers your BP. 

Haven't heard about this trial, that sounds promising 

1 hour ago, Elite said:

That's some going.

I'm 44, been in hospital twice, once when I was about 10 for concussion observation. Thats the only night I've ever spent in a hospital. 2nd and last hospital visit was from a car crash when I was 16, they sent me home after a few hours. My last GP visit was for food poisoning about 25 years ago, I reckon I only seen her 2 or 3 other times in my whole life. I couldn't be described as a drain on the system. 

• Upvote 1