You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coaching badges

I started on mine when my kids started playing in the mid 90s. The Level 1 was very basic and funded by the FA. The level 2 I paid for myself as it wasn't too dear,but the level 3 (B Licence) was funded by the local council as I did some coaching for them. These courses cost time and money and will take years to complete. You really need to be with a pro club once past level 2 as its not much value having a B or A Licence if not using it. My B Licence has lapsed as I passed about 15 years ago but I really enjoyed the stuff I learned from it and still remember. I was late 20s when I began my journey but dont do any coaching now unfortunately. Having mates with connections helps a lot too.

PS. It's mostly self funded now and costs a fair wedge.

I coach alongside a lad who has his C License and he's fucking clueless. I think if you have a good understanding of football, from playing at an alright level, or from just being a bit of a student of the game, then the badges help to stratify your knowledge, and so they are beneficial, but they won't turn someone who just doesn't 'see' the game into a good coach.

We're only looking after U14's/U15's, so there is no requirement for me to do them at the moment. It's compulsory in Wales for adult football though, but I'll only worry about that if we look like taking the team right through to open-age matches.

Just now, Spy Bee said:

I coach alongside a lad who has his C License and he's fucking clueless. I think if you have a good understanding of football, from playing at an alright level, or from just being a bit of a student of the game, then the badges help to stratify your knowledge, and so they are beneficial, but they won't turn someone who just doesn't 'see' the game into a good coach.

We're only looking after U14's/U15's, so there is no requirement for me to do them at the moment. It's compulsory in Wales for adult football though, but I'll only worry about that if we look like taking the team right through to open-age matches.

You just reminded me that the Welsh FA courses are highly regarded and possibly cheaper?

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You just reminded me that the Welsh FA courses are highly regarded and possibly cheaper?

The clubs fund ours generally, maybe through Welsh government support. The main Welsh Training facility is literally a three minute walk from my house (Collier's Park) and it's a really good set-up there.

49 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Thinking of getting mine over the summer.

Does anyone have them? Was it worth the time and effort? 

More broadly, does anyone do any coaching?

I coach my lads u8's team. I just have the two entry level courses done over here in Ireland. I found those good though. 

I did see a few people at the courses who don't really understand football, but fair play to them as it's volunteering at the end of the day at this level and age groups.

I'm going to do some workshops this year 7v7 and get my PDP3 too. My plan is every year to move up on the pathway and see how I find it.

The lad I coach with used Covid times to move right up the pathway. Last year he done his Uefa C Licence. He's a really good coach with a good knowledge of the game.

I think some day I'll go for that, but I'm not in any rush. I have two young kids. If I go for that level and above, I'll want to put maximum effort in. My mate some it right, but there's a lot in it. A lot of studying etc and takes up a lot of your time.

Even at this level u8s, it takes up massive amount of your time. Planning sessions, organising training and games, WhatsApp. Speaking with your fellow coaches on the phone about the team and sessions etc. It's a lot of hours if you commit properly.

Best of luck on the journey. 

• Upvote 3

One of the best things I've ever done was a football for all course last year. A real eye opener at the challenges faced by people and kids with disabilities who want to play the game.

Some of the Premier league players need to watch blind people play the game, they take massive knocks and get on with it. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

That first paragraph is spot on. The coaching badges can help identify your strengths and weaknesses. They are good for that.

As mentioned above, the basic Level 1 course was really basic. 

I’ve never done any further.

Cant you do crash courses in America, like those intense driving courses, and get a few badges over a summer?

My club has a couple of UEFA B licence holders and some C licences. Within that group are some brilliant coaches that help the kids in ways ordinary football people couldn't,  the others are just capable of putting on well-organised sessions. It all seems like memorised rather learned skills. As Spy Bee has already said no amount of UEFA training can turn a frog into a prince.

If you have the time and resources to do it then it's crack on, I'd say it's we'll worth it.

As a general rule I'd highly recommend getting involved as a volunteer in kids sports. It becomes a second job but it's so rewarding. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Byrnie said:

I coach my lads u8's team. I just have the two entry level courses done over here in Ireland. I found those good though. 

I did see a few people at the courses who don't really understand football, but fair play to them as it's volunteering at the end of the day at this level and age groups.

I'm going to do some workshops this year 7v7 and get my PDP3 too. My plan is every year to move up on the pathway and see how I find it.

The lad I coach with used Covid times to move right up the pathway. Last year he done his Uefa C Licence. He's a really good coach with a good knowledge of the game.

I think some day I'll go for that, but I'm not in any rush. I have two young kids. If I go for that level and above, I'll want to put maximum effort in. My mate some it right, but there's a lot in it. A lot of studying etc and takes up a lot of your time.

Even at this level u8s, it takes up massive amount of your time. Planning sessions, organising training and games, WhatsApp. Speaking with your fellow coaches on the phone about the team and sessions etc. It's a lot of hours if you commit properly.

Best of luck on the journey. 

Nice one.

I think I’m going to get the introduction to coaching football qualification over the summer and see how I feel about going further. It seems you can get that one via online teaching and module, which will suit me in terms of time.

The UEFA C license looks like it has a more practical teaching requirement that I don’t particularly like the look of.

6 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Nice one.

I think I’m going to get the introduction to coaching football qualification over the summer and see how I feel about going further. It seems you can get that one via online teaching and module, which will suit me in terms of time.

The UEFA C license looks like it has a more practical teaching requirement that I don’t particularly like the look of.

That's where it becomes more 'real' for want of a better word.

I was involved in Junior/Youth football when my lad was playing for a local kids team. That was 30+ years ago, we were able to access the basic FA Coaching badges through funding from our league, which involved attending several nights a week for a few weeks, and I remember it was quite intense with assessments for training plans, skills coaching, small game setups etc. all stuff we’d not been required to know up to that point.
There were also associated and funded courses in First Aid with St John’s Ambulance.

At the time the FA was pushing for Academies status to be gained pretty much anywhere a club had multiple teams (u10 to u/16 in junior football at the time) and I went with a few of our other coaches who were basically Dads who could dedicate their time to running a team. I think anyone who gives up their time to get their badges deserves a medal as well as a badge, as I said, we only did a basic course and found that was tough enough, even though we all passed it.
It was worth doing though, and really opened our eyes as to how much we didn’t know about coaching.

Good Luck with your badges Kevin!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, coachpotato said:

I was involved in Junior/Youth football when my lad was playing for a local kids team. That was 30+ years ago, we were able to access the basic FA Coaching badges through funding from our league, which involved attending several nights a week for a few weeks, and I remember it was quite intense with assessments for training plans, skills coaching, small game setups etc. all stuff we’d not been required to know up to that point.
There were also associated and funded courses in First Aid with St John’s Ambulance.

At the time the FA was pushing for Academies status to be gained pretty much anywhere a club had multiple teams (u10 to u/16 in junior football at the time) and I went with a few of our other coaches who were basically Dads who could dedicate their time to running a team. I think anyone who gives up their time to get their badges deserves a medal as well as a badge, as I said, we only did a basic course and found that was tough enough, even though we all passed it.
It was worth doing though, and really opened our eyes as to how much we didn’t know about coaching.

Good Luck with your badges Kevin!

That was more or less hoa I began. There were free courses back then and help for candidates. I just carried it on. Haven't coached for a good while now though.

On 21/05/2024 at 08:33, Kevin D said:

Thinking of getting mine over the summer.

Does anyone have them? Was it worth the time and effort? 

More broadly, does anyone do any coaching?

You're a shit coach and I hope you get sacked.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...