You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR - the poll

VAR - the poll   

123 members have voted

1. 1. VAR

• Fuck this shit off
    • I think it's just marvelous, keep it

6 hours ago, JustTosh said:

PGMOL are still going to be so shit scared they might lose authority and respect they’ll continue to undermine their own ambition.

They’re still going to use VAR as a tool to cover for each other and back each other’s decisions. “Clear and obvious” is what they want. We’re right if we interfere and we’re right when we deem it not clear and obvious.

I’ve lost all respect for the PL ref’s. They’re not men enough to admit they have a difficult job and will occasionally make wrong decisions. Cowards!

One of the reasons I enjoy how rugby referees officiate in Union and in league. They have the balls to talk through the process and are all miked up, its not about covering your mate.. So much more satisfying even if you don't agree with the decision.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Binomial said:

Arne being the exception, seeing as he's just walked in right at the end of this whole malarkey. 

The point still stands. If he doesn't like it, complain to the cunts above him who didn't side with Wolves.

The fans have no say in this, and seemingly neither do the managers because Klopp is on record saying he'd get rid of it and I bet loads of others would too. Not Dyche though, the massive weirdo. He loves VAR almost as much as he loves eating worms.

16 minutes ago, dave u said:

The point still stands. If he doesn't like it, complain to the cunts above him who didn't side with Wolves.

The fans have no say in this, and seemingly neither do the managers because Klopp is on record saying he'd get rid of it and I bet loads of others would too. Not Dyche though, the massive weirdo. He loves VAR almost as much as he loves eating worms.

The fans have not bothered their arse to have a say.

Nobody is going to ask the paupers what they think, they have to make themselves heard. Same as it ever was.

Watching Hungary Switzerland and this semi auto offside still takes way too long. One glance at a replay shows the goal wad good, it's minutes later that we get a decision.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bob said:

Watching Hungary Switzerland and this semi auto offside still takes way too long. One glance at a replay shows the goal wad good, it's minutes later that we get a decision.

The 2 games so far have been maybe even more stop/start than the shite we watch. The amount of time to give that pen and red card last night was ludicrous. As it turned out, the players were injured for most of it, but it still didn't reflect well on the process. It took maybe 2 minutes to ask the ref to look at the screen in what should have taken about 10 seconds. 

Nobody within football wants to recognise VAR is shite and a destructive part of the game now. 

Holland Vs France has seen the only really piss poor application of VAR. (It was offside but three minutes to confirm?)

Now I'm not saying that the English officials are shite and have been shown up for the incompetent shower of shit that they are by the foreign officials....

Oh wait, yes I am.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Dicko said:

Holland Vs France has seen the only really piss poor application of VAR. (It was offside but three minutes to confirm?)

Now I'm not saying that the English officials are shite and have been shown up for the incompetent shower of shit that they are by the foreign officials....

Oh wait, yes I am.

To be honest, I thought Atwell was stitched up by the pair of pricks on the pitch who gave it originally. Taylor doesn't give it, he talks to his lino, who can't possibly have a good view from there, but they give offside anyway. Once the offside is given, you need that clear and obvious shite to turn it over and give a goal, except how can it be clear and obvious, both the Taylor and the lino saw it. So he watches it over and over again to try and find a reason to give the goal. He knows it's supposed to be a goal, but can't find another reason to give it beyond his mates opinion was wrong.

This is why VAR should be fucked off. They don't want to re-referee the game. So as they showed in this instance they don't, despite the fact they made the wrong decision. I don't think it has anything to do with nationality. It is just the whole concept is fucked. There's been wrong decisions in this competition. And as for long VARs, the sending off and pen in the opening game took about 5 minutes before they asked the ref to go to the screen. It took 1 look to see it was both a red card and pen, maybe 5 seconds. 

36 minutes ago, Dicko said:

Oh wait, yes I am.

So am I.

All Taylor had to do in this instance was to ask a simple question as to whether Dumfries was offside as he seemed already to have made up his mind he was interfering. Another communication cock-up, which doesn't seem to happen with other countrys officials. Of course, the really big question is what the hell is Attwell doing anywhere near a major international tournament?

3 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Listening to that American referee explain offside on ITV yesterday underlined that this sport really isn’t my cup of tea, anymore.

The money men and the middle classes got a hold of it in the early 90s & it's been downhill ever since.

It's fucking cooked now. Just another stop/start sport with stats up to the wazoo & a lot of the simple beauty of it is gone.

• Upvote 1

The Euros has restored some of my faith in the game. The VAR by and large has been worked superbly. Trust only the English lot to fuck it up. 

Some of the games have been belters as well. Maybe just maybe it can be saved. 

20 hours ago, Mook said:

The money men and the middle classes got a hold of it in the early 90s & it's been downhill ever since.

It's fucking cooked now. Just another stop/start sport with stats up to the wazoo & a lot of the simple beauty of it is gone.

Just culturally, the combination of money men and forensic experts have drained the sport of its soul.

These are the type of people I’d run miles to get away from in the pub and they’re calling all the shots.

There’s just better shit to be spending my time on.

See, it's not just English refs who are shite. Dutch game. Embarrassing onfield decision of handball, complete clueless, incompetent guesswork, followed by a 3 minute check that it wasn't handball, which should have taken 2 seconds. Followed by needing to send the ref to look at the screen with another minute wasted. These cunts are all shit. And var takes too long to fix anything. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

See, it's not just English refs who are shite. Dutch game. Embarrassing onfield decision of handball, complete clueless, incompetent guesswork, followed by a 3 minute check that it wasn't handball, which should have taken 2 seconds. Followed by needing to send the ref to look at the screen with another minute wasted. These cunts are all shit. And var takes too long to fix anything. 

I'm watching the France game & they played on about 2 minutes after a stonewall penno before asking the ref to come & have a look.

Absolute fucking shambles.

It's a myth only the English referees are poor at using it. Because it's not a tool that belongs in Football.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I'm watching the France game & they played on about 2 minutes after a stonewall penno before asking the ref to come & have a look.

Absolute fucking shambles.

It's a myth only the English referees are poor at using it. Because it's not a tool that belongs in Football.

Exactly, it just doesn't work with the game. It's interesting that they fucked about in Europe with that twat with a stick in the pen area for a couple of years. I saw it as an acknowledgement that the game is so fast now, it's impossible for referees to be all seeing. Then that got dropped with VAR as we then had an electronic eye. I think the game might benefit from fiddling around trying to ensure there's more chance the referees can keep up and have them guessing less on their original calls. That Dutch one today is a fucker of an onfield decision and clearly both the lino and ref just guess.