You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Anubis

4 hours ago, Anubis said:

Didn’t Olise get thrust back into action by Hodgson against the medical staff’s advice, causing his second spell out?

"I was told that he couldn't start the game and I was quite comfortable with that," Hodgson explained. "They told me - and he told me - that he was fine to be on the bench and to play in the second half."

10 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Who is dis guy:

19-year-old Brazilian winger Wesley Gassova

No idea, but he looks world class from that YT clip AND he's Brazilian. That's good enough for me.

Sign him up!!

44 minutes ago, Binomial said:

"I was told that he couldn't start the game and I was quite comfortable with that," Hodgson explained. "They told me - and he told me - that he was fine to be on the bench and to play in the second half."

«Testing his resolve».

13 hours ago, Leyton388 said:

God I hope we do fuck Nunez off. Biggest waste of money going. Absolutely horrendous decision from Klopp to replace Mane with him. 

I'd take a past it Bobby and Mane over him any day. If we still had them two we'd have won the league as they'd have scored the majority of the chances Nunez missed. 

As for his temper tantrum that just shows the mentality of the lad.

Mane asked to leave the season before he left. He thought he was bigger than the club. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Who is dis guy:

19-year-old Brazilian winger Wesley Gassova

He's very raw, but he can definitely beat a man and looks a good prospect. Has there been any concrete links to him?

15 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

That's to be expected. I was saying here a week or so ago that FSG will think last summer was the big summer and the only chance of a spend really is if we flog Salah for a zillion quid. 

But in terms of the squad, it's weird. There's none I'd be desperate to sell, but equally, not that many I'd be too upset if they left. Matip and thiago should go. But from there, there's an argument to keep pretty much anyone. Equally you can make arguments to sell pretty much everyone aside from macca depending how some contract negotiating goes. I'd say the manager should get that choice, but it seems from this coach role he'll have, it might not be in his control. 

You know what, (Shock! Horror!), I largely agree with all this. 

We have a super talented squad, I’d argue it’s the best consistently good group of players we’ve ever had, plus some promising looking academy players. 

I think it’s difficult to say what we’re going to do. Partly due to Edwards & Hughes, partly new contracts, partly some aging players, partly Slot & what he makes of it all or a combination of all factors. There feels so many variables, it’s hard to make a conclusion from any of it. 

As you mentioned previously, you have question marks over Robbo & I agree. He’s been great for us, a universal fans favourite and it would sting selling him.

The alternative, emotionless view, is he’s the wrong side of 30, he’s not been his best this season  (injuries or signs of slowing down?), this is the last summer we’ll likely get decent money for him, is it best in the long term to move him on?

Similar with Diaz and Konate. Maybe not the emotional heft that Robertson would bring, both are really good players, they’ve done well (although not excelled) for us, they are both likely in a position where they want a new contract & a pay rise, do we give it to either of them or sell while their stock is high?

And we’ve not even mentioned Mo or VVD yet! 

IMO, VVD is a clear extension. 

I don’t want to get bogged down with Mo, it’s somewhat been done to death and we’re non the clearer. I think he fits a similar scenario to Robbo. One thing I would say on his contract I don’t think has been mentioned, his agent was tweeting somewhat unhelpful posts all the time during last negotiations. He’s said nothing this time. I’m somewhat surprised he let the spat with Klopp go without comment. 

I do think a position to improve is #6. We were obviously prepared to spend heavily on Caicedo (if you still disagree, let’s agree to disagree) and we’re happy to go so far (although not far enough) with Lavia. Again, this isn’t a dig at Endo (we all agree he’s done well), IMO, that looks a clear position we can’t be 100% happy with. 

Whether whoever we sign in the summer has that Rice statement feel to it or it’s less significant improvements (which we hope has the same overall impact), who knows. 

I’ve just spent 30 mins writing this and am literally no clearer in my own thought process in certain players. 

2 hours ago, Code said:

Mane asked to leave the season before he left. He thought he was bigger than the club. 

The way Mane is revered by some Liverpool fans while Salah is criticised is mind boggling to me. One of them literally left the club, while the other is still here. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Code said:

14 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

The way Mane is revered by some Liverpool fans while Salah is criticised is mind boggling to me. One of them literally left the club, while the other is still here. 

Can youse provide evidence of the bigger than the club part please?

As much as I loved Mane, given his achievements since, I don’t think anybody can argue him leaving came at the best time for all parties.

23 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I'm not sure how this is confusing. Leaving the club, especially when it's at the right time, is not a bad thing. People will obviously have some nostalgia about former great players.

Salah stayed and has been mostly  really good, but he's also had some bad periods in important moments of the season and he literally screamed at the manager last week. That's also a "I'm bigger than the club" moment.

9 hours ago, Anubis said:

Didn’t Olise get thrust back into action by Hodgson against the medical staff’s advice, causing his second spell out?

yeah, i think he was back, the medical team said he shouldn't play more than 45 mins or something, the owl brought him on at half time, even though they were getting fucked, and Olise lasted about 20 mins. I believe it is what's known as testing his resolve. 

No excuses for not strengthening. The teams above us will, the teams below will. We can’t afford to stand still and admire what we have we need to be constantly freshening up and improving. A centre back and a winger is the bare minimum before we start looking at what we can do with defensive midfield and replacing whoever leaves.

Can people stop talking about Nunez's finishing on here in case Barcelona's scouts haven't seen very much of him and are googling to see what it's like. Thanks. 

I think Simeone would potentially get a tune out of him at Atletico, but they probably wouldn't have the money. 

7 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

No excuses for not strengthening. The teams above us will, the teams below will. We can’t afford to stand still and admire what we have we need to be constantly freshening up and improving. A centre back and a winger is the bare minimum before we start looking at what we can do with defensive midfield and replacing whoever leaves.

I don’t think anybody has said that, have they? 

3 hours ago, Code said:

Mane, Firmino and Salah were/are all amazing players for us during a time when we won the title and European Cup and should have won more of both. A generational trio brilliantly put together by the club (hopefully by Edwards). I wish we still had all three at the peak of their powers and wouldn't criticise any of them. 

19 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

I'm with you 100% on Salah but not sure why you have to belittle any player you deem somebody thinks is a threat.

What did you disagree with?

Mane wanted to be the big boy, he was not, so he wanted to leave, his ego did him no favours at Bayern either. 

14 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I don’t think anybody has said that, have they? 

Jimbo Pearce was putting it out there that the club’s priority is contract extensions. We’ve done this dance before, could mean we’ll announce £80m worth of signings we never saw coming come June or we’re in for a summer of frustration.

11 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Jimbo Pearce was putting it out there that the club’s priority is contract extensions. We’ve done this dance before, could mean we’ll announce £80m worth of signings we never saw coming come June or we’re in for a summer of frustration.

Given we likely can't fully move forward until certain extensions are agreed, I'm not surprised this is the case.

Unless Edwards / Hughes are already completely adamant on where we need to improve (and have already relayed this to Slot), you'd assume Slot will likely want a reasonable look at what is at his disposal before we do anything. With the summer Euros & Copa America and players arriving back late doesn't help really.

27 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

What part of that suggests no signings given the same people are already saying that on the signing front we're targeting a centre back and wide player?

it's the same dance every time where each article is taken in isolation and the ability combine and contextualise all the information seems to leaves people.

Three of our biggest players are a year away from being able to leave on free transfers, if one or all decide not to sign then the club need to sell and get replacements which alters what you do with signings so of course that would be a priority, doesn't stop you doing the other work alongside though.

54 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Mane, Firmino and Salah were/are all amazing players for us during a time when we won the title and European Cup and should have won more of both. A generational trio brilliantly put together by the club (hopefully by Edwards). I wish we still had all three at the peak of their powers and wouldn't criticise any of them. 

Mane was the heart, Firmino the brain and Salah the legs. 

The legs have gone in the summer.