You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ben Doak

Megadrive Man

21 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

We have an abundance of exciting attacking players, which according to this article includes Sadio Manè.

I wish!

Maybe they know something…

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Not wanting to piss on any chips, but...

Who was that lad who was the Next Big Thing two or three years ago - and where is he now?

[Edit]

Kaide Gordon, fucked by injuries.

Gordon looked like he might have something, Doak definitely has something.

Gordon is back now and looking promising again apparently.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aws said:

Gordon looks promising, Doak looks special. 

Youre memory is better than mine. 

We have been unlucky lately with injuries to highly rated forwards. Glatzel, Brewster, Gordon and Stewart have all missed significant periods and some probably havent had the careers expected as a result.

In the brief cameos I’ve seen he does look good. 

however leaving that aside I really don’t get why young players sign for clubs competing for titles and even the top 4. The chances of making are minuscule and that’s before a manager will give you a chance, which at these clubs is even rarer as the margin for error is so small, add to that scrutiny these lads are under.

If Gordon had stayed at derby he would have played a lot of football by now (assuming the injuries wouldn’t have happened anyway) and Doak would be tearing up the SPL with a move to a club as a starter.

gues they have to take the opportunity to make some money and access better facilities while they can.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

however leaving that aside I really don’t get why young players sign for clubs competing for titles and even the top 4. The chances of making are minuscule and that’s before a manager will give you a chance, which at these clubs is even rarer as the margin for error is so small, add to that scrutiny these lads are under.

If Gordon had stayed at derby he would have played a lot of football by now (assuming the injuries wouldn’t have happened anyway) and Doak would be tearing up the SPL with a move to a club as a starter.

gues they have to take the opportunity to make some money and access better facilities while they can.

Ambition and self belief.

13 hours ago, JagSquared said:

When is the best age to move on though? So many English clubs are so rich that once you’re a first team player you will cost bonkers money to buy, even from a middling Championship team. Past a certain age you’ll also only count as being homegrown-from-the-same-country rather than an Academy product, which may count against you for getting  game time further down the line. 
Alternatively you hang on a bit longer and suddenly you’re James Ward-Prowse - technically very good, brilliant at set-pieces, but “Why hasn’t he gone to a big club already if he’s so special?”  
I agree that some clubs (*cough* Chelsea *cough*) just accumulate as many brilliant young players as possible and let them disappear into 100 loan moves. But Jurgen has a good record of blooding youngsters, and FSG run a tight enough ship that we’re not likely to have a mega-squad with £60million third-choice full-backs. 

29 minutes ago, Ron B said:

When is the best age to move on though? So many English clubs are so rich that once you’re a first team player you will cost bonkers money to buy, even from a middling Championship team. Past a certain age you’ll also only count as being homegrown-from-the-same-country rather than an Academy product, which may count against you for getting  game time further down the line. 
Alternatively you hang on a bit longer and suddenly you’re James Ward-Prowse - technically very good, brilliant at set-pieces, but “Why hasn’t he gone to a big club already if he’s so special?”  
I agree that some clubs (*cough* Chelsea *cough*) just accumulate as many brilliant young players as possible and let them disappear into 100 loan moves. But Jurgen has a good record of blooding youngsters, and FSG run a tight enough ship that we’re not likely to have a mega-squad with £60million third-choice full-backs. 

These are all really valid points and ones perhaps I hadn’t fully considered along with @bossy points. I hope Doak makes it, I can’t see Gordon doing so. 

Not these two players in particular but it always surprises me that players hit 20+ and haven’t had a sniff of first team football and then get stuck don’t agitate for a move. Nat Phillips should have had a really solid career by now but he’s just stuck in the middle of nowhere. Players like Conor Bradley (not even listed on the first team squad), Van Der Berg and Rhys Williams are unlikely to make it with us and the latter two seem to be in perennial loan phase. 

they really need to look at how we develop players and the loan market in general but that’s not easier said than done. 

Gordon has missed so much time now he probably won't make it here. Hope I'm wrong but there are countless examples of boss kids who get a long term injury that completely derails their progress. It's really hard to develop when you miss a year of football at such an important age.

If Doak avoids injury he's defo making it here, he's the best kid I've seen since Owen.

• Upvote 1