You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Crystal Palace 1 (Aug 15 2022)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Really not what we needed after last week. We’ve dropped four points now to teams that will probably finish in the bottom half. Palace might actually be better than that, but probably not. The point is, you have to be beating these teams and by not doing so we’re giving ourselves a mountain to climb already.

This could have been different had we made our early dominance count, but once again the lack of a clinical edge cost us and then, yet again, we found ourselves behind. Six league games in a row now we’ve conceded first. Klopp saw his arse when asked about this ‘trend’ in his pre-match presser but it’s a valid question. It’s a big enough sample size now to be able to say this has become an issue.

That being said, we did start this game quite brightly and had we taken one of the early chances then we’re not talking about conceding first and we’re almost certainly celebrating our first win of the season. Palace can’t chase games, they just aren’t equipped for it. They’re great at doing this though. Sitting in, making blocks, defending for their lives and then using the quality and speed on the break,

You do not want to go behind against them. The first goal is crucial and we should have had it. Despite the number of players missing and the late changes made to the team (this eleven would not have been training together much this week), we began the game on the front foot and put some nice moves together, especially down the right side where the lively Elliott was combing well with Mo.

Milner blasted a good chance over, then Elliott went close with an effort that was blocked more or less on the line by Anderson. Harvey’s balance and footwork on that were class, but when you look at that it typifies just how awkward Palace are to break down. Elliott had three Palace players flagging themselves in front of him to make a block, and he beat all of them. Anderson had dropped back to cover the goal and he made the key block. They were throwing themselves in front of everything though.

Nunez had a clear opening at the back post but completely missed his volley and spooned it up into the air. It wasn’t the easiest of chances but that was a terrible effort. His night would only get worse.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic

Great report Dave. I couldnt make this game so watched on tv. I originally thought Diaz got the red card as tv zoomed on him with a WTF expression on his face. Then I realised it was Nunez.

I thought Jurgen's subs were great. Not sure if others noticed but putting Joe on allowed Trent to move into midfield. The Greek Scouser, what happened to his crossing? Normally better than Robbos but he was poor. Hendo injected some pace into the midfield as well.

Disappointing to draw these first 2 games. Was looking forward to handing united their arse but now, wouldnt be surprised if we draw again!

I dont think Ive ever heard the Palace fans sing sign on and always the victim. Didnt hear anything on tv either.

Not for me, Clive.

Regarding Trent, he was virtually playing centre forward at one point. Also noticed there were times when Robbo was centre forward, and that was when Darwin was on the pitch. Did anyone see from our kick off to start the 2nd half where Robbo lined up and then ended up? Whatever the plan was there, it didn't work because Milner almost lost the ball and we went backwards. We were defo up to something though, so something to watch out for in future.

Good report. Obvious red card but I didn't think there was anything in that butt.  Nunez did that little thing players tend to do when they're head to head by making a slight motion forward but unfortunately for him the defender was stepping into him at the same time so it looked far worse than it was. 

Overall I thought we were decent but if you're not clinical, the defence is organized and putting good blocks in and you're not getting the little bobbles in the area then scoring is always going to be hard work. 

I think maybe what our performance with 10 men showed is the fluidity of movement you get without a traditional number 9, and we've had for years with Bobby, Jota and most recently sadio playing in the central role. I think in the early days this may be something City also lose with Haaland. This isn't a dig at Nunez, his movement is brilliant and in time we will adapt and I think be better for it, but it is a big change to how we've played for a long time

Pretty good report Dave.  The thing I am most excited about is Diaz.  I've been moaning about his lack of material involvement, as my mate is convinced he can be like Keegan was for us - a real game changing impact player.  Well, after quite a few performances where he just seemed to get carried along in games, he took this by the scruff of the neck and if that goal wasn't Keeganesque, I don't know what is.  Whatever flicked the switch on with him, we need that every game.  He's shown he has it in him when he's in the mood.  We need to get that switched on - like Suarez did - before the game. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, dave u said:

Not for me, Clive.

Regarding Trent, he was virtually playing centre forward at one point. Also noticed there were times when Robbo was centre forward, and that was when Darwin was on the pitch. Did anyone see from our kick off to start the 2nd half where Robbo lined up and then ended up? Whatever the plan was there, it didn't work because Milner almost lost the ball and we went backwards. We were defo up to something though, so something to watch out for in future.

The formation was a mess. Salah was playing wing, Diaz was wing/midfield (and was very poor first half), the full backs as you say were playing up front, Nunez was trying his best to get onto lazy crosses, the forwards were miles from each other. Bizarre. 

5 hours ago, stringvest said:

Pretty good report Dave.  The thing I am most excited about is Diaz.  I've been moaning about his lack of material involvement, as my mate is convinced he can be like Keegan was for us - a real game changing impact player.  Well, after quite a few performances where he just seemed to get carried along in games, he took this by the scruff of the neck and if that goal wasn't Keeganesque, I don't know what is.  Whatever flicked the switch on with him, we need that every game.  He's shown he has it in him when he's in the mood.  We need to get that switched on - like Suarez did - before the game. 

You would have seen that in the young whippersnapper Keegan when you watched him at Scunthorpe, Stringy.

Watched this again in full - I always like to get a different perspective from my seat low down in the Main Stand.

My overall impression is the same as on the night - it was a decent enough performance and could easily have been a comfortable win with slightly better finishing or luck (yeah, I know, how often have we said that this year). But considering we had what was about a sixth choice midfield combination and fifth choice centre back, we utterly dominated..... Salah and Nunez could each have had a hat-trick (should probably each have scored at least one). Carvalho was really unlucky, Milner hould have done better, if Elliot could have direcected his long range header a bit better, the goalie may have been in trouble. The crossing on the night was generally shite, though and we're snatching at chances. I think the 'lack of creativity' thing is bening well overplayed when you consider how many chances and half chances we created against a 9 man defence. But would I like to see another midfielder - especially one who could be relied on for 30+ league games a season - brought in? Of course. not going to happen though.

The randomness of refereeing continues to frustrate. Ward was penalised for a challenge on Diaz - that was identical to the one by Andersen on Diaz in the box moments earlier. Carvalho was booked for a foul identical to the one on Hendo prior to the Fulham first goal, which of course went unpunished. And how Edouard (who was subsequently booked) didn't get a yellow for an arm in the face of Kostas. Tierney had no option on the red card, but made the most of it to say the least - just like Jordan fucking Ayew all night long. As for timewasting - these refs don't seem to realise it's not about wasting time, which gets added on anyway (in theory), it's about disrupting momentum and rhythm, so it's pretty pointless booking people in the last minute, the damage is generally done. They really don't know what's happening around them, do they?

Trent put in his usual handful of sublime passes and worked his socks off generally - but he's giving his detractors more ammunition with his defending. Not just knocking off again when Zaha got in on the back post late on, but several times he allowed Eze and Zaha to glide past him as if he wasn't there when what he need to do was to just hold them up to stop the counter, or even foul them. 

In normal times, these two ealy draws wouldn't be such a problem, with 36 games to go. But in the era of sportswashing and extreme financial doping there's no margin for error and we're already up against it, especially with the ridiculous injury list (Bobby Clark on the bench, ffs).  United game is absolutley massive for both teams now, just hope Bobby's available, big Joel, too.

• Upvote 3

Kostas can be forgiven for being really poor with his crosses. He has been out injured and lacked match sharpness. I do think we need to talk more about Van Dijk and his tendency not to fully commit to closing down an opponent running through on goal. There is a theory he prefers not to commit in such situations because our defenders trust the goalie to have the angles covered.

However, van Dijk is the one who noticeably does it. Gomez in that situation would be getting really close to Zaha to put him off as he shoots. Van Dijk speeds up and then slows down, allowing Zaha enough time to slot it. He has been doing this often.

Also did similar in the CL final vs Madrid when instead of going to close Valverde down, he runs in a straight line and allows the cross. Then stuck a lazy leg backwards to try and block the ball. It goes through, Madrid score. We need him to be more proactive in closing down in those situations.

• Upvote 2

I wonder if there is a little nagging doubt in VVD's mind after hisb injury that is stopping him from fully committing to those kind of challenges....just does not quite fully trust his body to get into them.

It has been seen many times before with players - i remember Owen saying he could never fully flat out 100% sprint after his hamstring problems....

• dave u unpinned this topic