You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Although we have been lucky with players being out, we still lost all those games! 

I will accept a large part of my frustration has come from the contempt that Athletic article treated supporters with. I was disappoint with what I assume we’d do in this window (ie nothing after Gakpo) but to blame electrical and match day travel costs just insults our fan base intelligence. 

Normally, I’m as optimistic as they come, I sincerely hope I’m wrong, I just don’t see it is getting Top 4. I think we have more chance of winning the CL and even though I’ve seen worse sides than this win the CL, I don’t see that happening either.

You can count on one hand the amount of times we’ve played well this season.

I can accept not playing well, it happens. Towards the end of the COVID19 season, we weren’t playing well but we got results by wanting it and sheer force of will. 

I’ve said multiple times, we’ve not looked up for the fight all season. Other teams are hungrier and we’ve been unable to match it.

Klopp commented this weekend players didn’t look arsed going out the FA Cup. 

Regardless of how we’re playing, we don’t want it enough and haven’t since the first kick of the season.

I sincerely hope I’m wrong, I don’t see us sticking a great league or CL run together. 

Yes, we’ve been unlucky with injuries. We’ve changed formations, we’ve changed personnel, we’ve had a second pre-season, we’ve had mostly free weeks this year (and will continue until Madrid) to work it out on the training ground and we’ve seen, at best, minimal improvements. 

Some feels badly off. Whatever Klopp is trying at the moment isn’t getting the expected results.

I’m not saying we should be buying Bellingham or Fernandez this window, I’m hugely frustrated that we couldn’t even get somebody on loan or somebody coming to the end of their contract to tie us over until the summer. The mancs started looking yesterday morning and had somebody signed by yesterday evening!

The players have lost their will and I am not surprised. When they see whats going on around them and what they are up against, and that we as a Club are not doing anything to give us the best chance at competing they will have lost their motivation. They are only human and it happens in every walk of life.

I've seen whole teams within workplaces over the years go from successful and award winning to a few stragglers barely keeping up with the work, and it has usually always been due to the decision making of the org having a trickle down effect.

If you are Van Dijk, Trent and Salah for example you must realise that you are up against it already, and then having to draft in kids and third string and knowing you cant compete. 

A midfielder was not prioritised in the summer and it wasn’t in January either, with Klopp keen to seal the deal for Gakpo. With Diaz breaking down during the training camp in Dubai and Diogo Jota also sidelined, the manager felt the squad would benefit most from the presence of another elite attacker.

Elite attacker? Why did we sign Gakpo then? Regardless of how promising he may or may not look, or whether he one day becomes world class, he's nowhere near an elite attacker right now.

24 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Another flaccid article from Pearce. 

Not sure what you're expecting, all the beat reporters at the Athletic will have been asked to do a summary of the transfer window for their respective clubs and FSG should be less risk adverse but have Liverpool spent the money they do have in the most efficient way is pretty much the only angle.

Unless you're expecting some grand conspiracy to be uncovered I think people are expecting a bit too much of a 'write 2,000 words on the transfer window for your club' remit.

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Not sure what you're expecting, all the beat reporters at the Athletic will have been asked to do a summary of the transfer window for their respective clubs and FSG should be less risk adverse but have Liverpool spent the money they do have in the most efficient way is pretty much the only angle.

Unless you're expecting some grand conspiracy to be uncovered I think people are expecting a bit too much of a 'write 2,000 words on the transfer window for your club' remit.

Pearce is a direct mouthpiece from the owners, it's clear as crystal. Everything he writes, from the subject matter to the timing of it, suggests it's straight from the Club.

8 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Pearce is a direct mouthpiece from the owners, it's clear as crystal. Everything he writes, from the subject matter to the timing of it, suggests it's straight from the Club.

Did FSG ask James McNicholas to do one for Arsenal and Liam Twomey to do one for Chelsea and Dan Sheldon/Mark Critchley to do one for Utd to cover their tracks then?

Maybe they paid off Roshane Thomas and Phil Hay as West Ham and Leeds correspondents to do equivalent articles.

Gregg Evans, the Athletics Villa writer, certainly looks the type to succumb to this kind of nefarious track covering.

It's even permeated the championship with Michael Bailey giving Pearce an alibi by writing about Norwich's window.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Did FSG ask James McNicholas to do one for Arsenal and Liam Twomey to do one for Chelsea and Dan Sheldon/Mark Critchley to do one for Utd to cover their tracks then?

Maybe they paid off Roshane Thomas and Phil Hay as West Ham and Leeds correspondents to do equivalent articles.

Gregg Evans, the Athletics Villa writer, certainly looks the type to succumb to this kind of nefarious track covering.

It's even permeated the championship with Michael Bailey giving Pearce an alibi by writing about Norwich's window.

This is one article. Have you missed his other thousand or so over the last few years?

6 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

He has been getting a lot of flack on twitter for that article, rightly so.

Not sure why, it echoes many of the points made on here. Bellingham and Nunes (if we sign them) isn't enough, they need to be less risk averse and spend more money, didn't do enough in this window.

Is it the bit about spending what money we did have in the right area's that's annoyed them or just the usual twitter outpouring of unless it's vehemently and explicitly FSG out then you're obviously Pro FSG.

3 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

This is one article. Have you missed his other thousand or so over the last few years?

Yet you responded to my post saying this will be an Athletic mandated  article asked of by all their beat writers like someone standing in the street yelling about 9/11 being an inside job and the vaccine is all about 5g.

37 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Not sure why, it echoes many of the points made on here. Bellingham and Nunes (if we sign them) isn't enough, they need to be less risk averse and spend more money, didn't do enough in this window.

Is it the bit about spending what money we did have in the right area's that's annoyed them or just the usual twitter outpouring of unless it's vehemently and explicitly FSG out then you're obviously Pro FSG.

He got slagged because he had a go at the fans ,who were saying what he says now, pre season. His line then was that mf signings were not needed and fans who said otherwise were out of order.

9 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

He got slagged because he had a go at the fans ,who were saying what he says now, pre season. His line then was that mf signings were not needed and fans who said otherwise were out of order.

Seems warranted then, if that's how he said it.

Not really sure why people are having such a go at Pearce. He's just a journalist doing his job, writing crap for hits. Is it cos they used to believe the rubbish?

"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" springs to mind.

Pearce can fuck off the blert. Calls them out after the window shuts. 

Honestly can't be arsed listening to the excuses and sob stories coming out of the club. 3rd highest turnover in world football and we get out spent by everyone. 

Roll on the summer when the disappointment repeats itself. 

• Upvote 1