You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

R.I.P Raymond Briggs

Lee909

He lived in the village next to mine.

Some of the illustrations in the Snowman are similar to places in the South Downs I know nearby, so have always assumed they inspired the book.

I like to take my Kids to see them at Christmas and then get them to point them out when watching back. It seems to really fire up their imagination and get them all Christmassy.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

He lived in the village next to mine.

Some of the illustrations in the Snowman are similar to places in the South Downs I know nearby, so have always assumed they inspired the book.

I like to take my Kids to see them at Christmas and then get them to point them out when watching back. It seems to really fire up their imagination and get them all Christmassy.

I was watching Ethel and Ernest on BBC2 yesterday, and his character in it buys a cottage in the South Downs with his wife, so I assume he lived that way anyway.

The Snowman was a Christmas staple in our house when the kids were little and is the same now with the grandkids sat spellbound watching it.

What a legacy he leaves with the fact it will continue to delight kids every Christmas for future generations well into the future and gives a curmudgeonly old fucker like me who doesn't get on with Christmas a chance to secretly enjoy part of it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, redinblack said:

When my eldest was tiny we played The Snowman every day for a couple of years he loved it. I did too.

It really is amazingly well made. 

The fact there's no language and it's all done on the animation and partly the sounds.

We had this boardgames from the film. Great if you can find a copy and kids like it. 

s-l1600.jpg

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

It really is amazingly well made. 

The fact there's no language and it's all done on the animation and partly the sounds.

We had this boardgames from the film. Great if you can find a copy and kids like it. 

s-l1600.jpg

I remember that. Not sure if we had it or family but that has brought back some memories. nice one. x 

RIP Ray x