You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hall of Fame - Class of 2020 (Results)

tlw content

All votes are in and the Liverpool Way 'Hall of Fame, Class of 2020’ has been decided. In the end it wasn't particularly close and the chosen four were out on their own.

As explained previously, we had a two year hiatus from the Hall of Fame but rather than skip those years we're backdating them so this was for the Class of 2020 and later this year (the break for the World Cup is an ideal time) we'll have the vote for the Class of 2021 and then early next year we'll do 2022, meaning we're back on track for next summer.

So to the voting. Robbie Fowler finally gets in after missing out on three previous occasions and he will be joined by Terry McDermott (who goes in at the second time of asking) and Ron Yeats who goes in at the first attempt. The final spot went to Ray Kennedy who also went in as a first ballot selection. 

The breakdown of the voting was as follows:

community_vote2020.jpg

As you can see below, the good folk of the TLW forums have spoken and their four selections have all got in. Ray Kennedy just edged out Fowler for top spot in this vote and those two were comfortably clear of McDermott in third. Yeats took the final spot with fifth placed Tommy Smith missing out.

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 17.17.48.png

writers_vote2020.jpg

The TLW contributors also selected the same four. Their vote broke down like this: 

Jeff Goulding (
Scott, R Kennedy, McDermott, Hyypia), Paul Natton (Nicol, Fowler, Kennedy, McDermott), Chris Smith (Yeats, Hyypia, Fowler, McDermott.), John Gallagher (Scott, Kennedy, Yeats, Smith), Julian Richards (Kennedy, Yeats, Scott, McDermott.), Dan Thomas (Scott, Hyypia, Fowler, Kennedy), Stu Montagu (Nicol McDermott Kennedy Yeats). 

Totals: McDermott 6, Kennedy 6, Yeats 4, Fowler 3, Scott 3, Hyypia 3, Nicol 2, Smith 1 

Note: Hyypia, Fowler and Scott finished tied on three votes so the tie breaker is the public vote above. Robbie got the most votes so he gets the fourth spot in the writers list.

basco_votes2020.jpg

Terry McDermott - The perfect all round midfielder and delivered big goals when it mattered. 

Robbie Fowler -  The Kop still call him God. Say no more.

Ron Yeats -  One of Shankly’s rocks upon which the modern LFC was built.

Ray Kennedy -  Arguably most underrated LFC player ever, certainly beyond Anfield.

mellor_votes.jpg

Robbie Fowler - The most natural finisher I’ve ever seen. It looked effortless but it’s a talent you can’t teach. I only had the chance to play up top with him once, in the glamorous surroundings of a pre-season friendly at Lincoln! Neither of us scored, but at least I get to say I played up front with a man who was one of our best ever strikers.

Steve Nicol - Whenever I speak to players from back in the day they talk about Nicol as being one of the biggest characters in the dressing room and an incredibly reliable performer on the pitch. Except of course when he’s taking a penalty in a shoot out when he wasn’t on the list of takers!

Ron Yeats - A much different era to me but he’s an all time great. I saw him at Melwood on several occasions and even at the age he was he still had a huge presence about him. Very friendly and welcoming but everyone knew what a player he was and don’t mess with him!

Sami Hyypia- Another giant and a beast of a defender. He was always at the front of the runs in pre-season and he was the ultimate professional. Little known fact, he scored in the game when I bagged my last Liverpool goal, against Newcastle.

daveu_vote2020.jpg

Robbie Fowler - He was in the original ten but until now I hadn’t voted for him as there were always other players who just edged him out. It was an easy pick this time around though. An incredible finisher and a football genius. Robbie was just a natural, a street footballer. He played the game with the joy and impudence of a kid having a kick about with his mates and he gave us so many great memories.     

Elisha Scott - These are always tricky because not only did we not see players from this generation but there is virtually no TV footage either. I understand why a lot of others aren’t voting for players they didn’t see but I think it’s important to recognise the massive legends of the past, such as Liddell, Hodgson (Gordon, not Roy!) and Stubbins. Scott comes into that category as well as he was a massive star in his time.

Terry McDermottI’m kind of fascinated by McDermott and he’s one of the players before my time who I really wish I’d been able to see play. Tales of his stamina are as legendary of those of his drinking. He was one of those naturally fit lads who could run all day even after having a skinful the night before. His style of play would translate well to the modern game. Box to box, scored goals (some of them outrageously good), did a bit of everything.

Chris LawlerThis was an easy pick for me but I’m not surprised he hasn’t had many other votes because he’s probably the most under-rated player in the history of the club. You might be shocked if I tell you he’s 11th on the all time appearances list. You’ll almost certainly be shocked when I tell you he’s 42nd on the goalscorers list even though he was a right back who didn’t take penalties or free kicks. 61 goals from open play from right back!! Like I say, an easy pick.

Final Totals: Robbie Fowler 5, Terry McDermott 4, Ron Yeats 4, Ray Kennedy 3

Others: Elisha Scott 1, Sami Hyypia 1, Steve Nicol 1, Chris Lawler 1.

classof2020_hof_graphic.gif 

So there you have it, four more legends joining the previous inductees See you later in the year when we'll have four new names (yet to be determined) joining the remaining six from this year to see who goes in as the Class of 2021. 

View full article

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic
14 hours ago, tlw content said:

Chris LawlerThis was an easy pick for me but I’m not surprised he hasn’t had many other votes because he’s probably the most under-rated player in the history of the club. You might be shocked if I tell you he’s 11th on the all time appearances list. You’ll almost certainly be shocked when I tell you he’s 42nd on the goalscorers list even though he was a right back who didn’t take penalties or free kicks. 61 goals from open play from right back!! Like I say, an easy pick.

Once a ghost always a ghost I suppose.

Should've had more votes.

• dave u unpinned this topic
22 hours ago, dave u said:

Yep, he better go in next time. His record is genuinely incredible and isn't talked about anywhere near enough. 

Once described as "sauntering through games with all the apparent urgency of a man out walking his dog" and still have 61 goals to his name.

Classic Shanks quote:

Shankly was playing in a five-a-side match and a goal by Shanks was being disputed. Chris was asked to settle the dispute and in his typical short and to-the-point manner simply said, "No goal, boss." Shankly was livid and started yelling, saying to him: "Bloody hell Chris! Ye don’t open yer mouth for ten years and now when yer do it’s a bloody lie!"

Vote the legend in next time folks!

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Frank Dacey said:

I watched a lot of Chris Lawler; part of a rock-solid defence, rarely taken apart by any winger and then the goals on top. Was actually second top scorer with 13 goals in 1969-70 and then there was the winner in this game, not bad for my first time on the Kop.

Sneaking in on the back post, that's it. Haven't seen all his goals but the winner in the clip must be trademark for him. Thx for the clip btw