You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crystal Palace (H) - Mon 15th Aug 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

19 minutes ago, Jhinge Machha said:

not quite.

Check this out

he tried to headbutt him before as well, what an idiot

First time I’ve seen this since being at the ground. From here and social media I’d assumed it was some brutal assault. If an ‘honest’ English defender did that to Mo Salah, Mo would be extradited to Egypt and the defender would enter a CBE and a chat show. Cheating cunts.

Just now, an tha said:

Where is the entitlement?

I think league is gone already and it has nothing to do with entitlement it is solely down to knowing what it is we are up against.

Man City got 93 pts last season - do you think they'll be worse this season?

Sadly i don't and therefore my view is we would need a minimum of 94 pts to win title this season.

That means dropping a maximum of a mere 20 pts all season - we have already dropped 4.....leaving 16.

To get 94 pts now from here we need 92 fron 36 which is about 98 over a season form.

Sadly i just can't see how we do that.....now of course the 'ask' to win it may only be a more 'normal' 85/86 pts - but with those cheating bastards Man City can you really see that being case?

We have already failed to pick up titles with 97 and 92 pts due to where they have moved bar to...So for me it is not about 'entitlement' it is just about the sad reality of what it takes now to overhaul those cheating bastards.

I reckon you’re very far down the list when it comes to entitlement. Dont agree with everything you wrote, but you’re normally a decent poster as far as I remember. 

Dont think it’s the right time to be discussing our chances of winning the league, partly because the way we’ve started the season, and mainly because it’s august. You may well be right about your predictions of City running away with it. Let’s see if we can get our form back and line up a few wins, and let’s discuss our chances then.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

First time I’ve seen this since being at the ground. From here and social media I’d assumed it was some brutal assault. If an ‘honest’ English defender did that to Mo Salah, Mo would be extradited to Egypt and the defender would enter a CBE and a chat show. Cheating cunts.

And Massingbird would get him knighted in the New Years honours

7 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

I reckon you’re very far down the list when it comes to entitlement. Dont agree with everything you wrote, but you’re normally a decent poster as far as I remember. 

Dont think it’s the right time to be discussing our chances of winning the league, partly because the way we’ve started the season, and mainly because it’s august. You may well be right about your predictions of City running away with it. Let’s see if we can get our form back and line up a few wins, and let’s discuss our chances then.

We need to beat city home and away to have any chance 

11 minutes ago, Moo said:

Phillips was okay but the massive difference when Gomez came on shows the level we need.

Elliott similar, did okay but nowhere near the level (yet?) that we need.

Elliott was our best midfielder. Not saying he was brilliant, but he did more both defensively and in attack than both Milner and Fabinho,

I love Phillips, but he simply isn’t anywhere near good enough to play at this level with our tactical setup.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Fair do's....i just don't see that much entitlement on here generally...but it is all about perception i suppose.

For me all our problems link back to the midfield..

It is where our injury prone players are a problem and in games it is all too often all played in front of the opposition...

Ball is moved (slowly too often) left and right and then nothing really....maybe a hopeful looping ball into the box.

For me the midfield has been a bit pedestrian for a while now - it lacks legs and physicallity.

The front three often made it look better than it is. Its lack of legs means it does not press like it used to, is easier to play through and it offers very little going forward.

We really do need to improve it IMHO.

It needs an injection of pace, physicallity and creativity and it also needs more bodies that are robust enough to stay fit/be available when needed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unbeaten! Not great was it, thought we started well but went a bit headless after the Palace goal. Nunes was a dickhead. I think he was frustrated at the chances he missed, and so he should have been, but fucking hell, how stupid. Long way to go, it’s only a game etc. 

Elliot was very good. Still will be better when he gets in the Grove and plays the ball off first time more often. 

The spamming of crosses to a crowded area needs to stop. Ok hitting the odd quick ball across for Nunez but too often a lumped ball when he has two players on him and a third sweeping up. 

Most concerning points

Too many wasted chances,poor conversion rate

Conceding the same two goals all the time now. Long ball down opposition left flank. Isolate our Right CB as he has little cover from Trent. 

Or ball from the right to our far post, Trent asleep time after time. 

Fabinho has looked poor and laboured so far. He and our whole right flank look far more exposed since Gini left. 

5 minutes ago, an tha said:

Fair do's....i just don't see that much entitlement on here generally...but it is all about perception i suppose.

For me all our problems link back to the midfield..

It is where our injury prone players are a problem and in games it is all too often all played in front of the opposition...

Ball is moved (slowly too often) left and right and then nothing really....maybe a hopeful looping ball into the box.

For me the midfield has been a bit pedestrian for a while now - it lacks legs and physicallity.

The front three often made it look better than it is. Its lack of legs means it does not press like it used to, is easier to play through and it offers very little going forward.

We really do need to improve it IMHO.

It needs an injection of pace, physicallity and creativity and it also needs more bodies that are robust enough to stay fit/be available when needed.

This is a post I fully agree with. Edit, the part about the midfield that is.

Our attacking play is so predictably frustrating at times. The amount of times you see other teams scoring far post tap ins (esp City) yet we never seem to get the ball in the 6 yard box. We always seem to start fannying around on the wing till the fullback gets up giving the oppo time to get in shape and then do nothing with it. 

Jota’s scored a few tap ins on the line and is brilliant with the headers but we make it so hard for ourselves instead of attacking the corridor of uncertainty. Origi was always a threat in the 6 yard box but was badly underused last season but now he’s gone let’s hope Nunez fills his boots here. 

I’d like to see Mo switch to the left and give them something to think about rather than see him keep running into a 4 man wall by the time he gets it under control and have Diaz getting the ball in the box first time with his proper foot. 

I have been drinking but this makes loads of sense to me.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Elliott was our best midfielder. Not saying he was brilliant, but he did more both defensively and in attack than both Milner and Fabinho,

I love Phillips, but he simply isn’t anywhere near good enough to play at this level with our tactical setup.

Can't disagree that Elliott was our best midfielder tonight but the bar was set very low.  I didn't comment on the others as we already know what they are/are not/have been capable of.

6 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Elliot was very good. Still will be better when he gets in the Grove and plays the ball off first time more often. 

The spamming of crosses to a crowded area needs to stop. Ok hitting the odd quick ball across for Nunez but too often a lumped ball when he has two players on him and a third sweeping up. 

Most concerning points

Too many wasted chances,poor conversion rate

Conceding the same two goals all the time now. Long ball down opposition left flank. Isolate our Right CB as he has little cover from Trent. 

Or ball from the right to our far post, Trent asleep time after time. 

Fabinho has looked poor and laboured so far. He and our whole right flank look far more exposed since Gini left. 

WelldocumentedPersonalIndigobunting-max-

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

This is a post I fully agree with. Edit, the part about the midfield that is.

The whole midfield discussion is of course one that has been raging on here for ages.

It just feels like a weird blind spot with Klopp - which is so strange as he nails pretty much everything.

29 minutes ago, Moo said:

Phillips was okay but the massive difference when Gomez came on shows the level we need.

Elliott similar, did okay but nowhere near the level (yet?) that we need.

So the question remains why did Gomez not start? As for Elliot, I’m not at all convinced by him. Energy is fine, effort 100% but at this stage he’s not a game breaker. 

Embarrassing starting line up, unhinged performance and embarrassing result.

Yeah there was a ton of huffing and puffing but absolutely zero conviction or astuteness in our play. It was just lobbing the ball in the box repeatedly towards Nunez. Loads of energy and pressing (which was a positive in comparison to Fulham) but zero guile, really shit build up and an utter lack of composure.

People on here can talk until the heavens come to claim us about our strength in depth and squad options, but seeing Nat fucking Phillips and James Milner start for us in 2022 is a joke.

Naby Keita the enigmatic quaver is again nowhere to be seen after pulling out of the opening game with hayfever. Henderson apparently had an injury in the build up to the game, shock horror. Not that I want to see him in an 8 anyway. Bobby out again after spending about 6 months in the wilderness last year. Shock horror. The definition of a spent force and once again, our loyalty to players means he sits around taking up a space in the squad.

Elliot was brilliant I thought, and one of our best players, but just too young to have the presence or the character to carry us in games like this, as many have predicted. He will be great for us but its a year too early to rely upon him.  Fabio looks like he'll need a few weeks or months to settle, as imagined, and any serious club wouldn't be relying upon him to win us games at the death.

Darwin Nunez. Today he looked equal parts raw, threatening and stupid. Our play has now regressed to lumping it up to him which in all honesty, is quite pathetic tactically. Trying to headbutt their defender twice was pure Suarez levels of stupidity, unfortunately Darwin doesn't have the talent for us to be so forgiving about it. We are now without any striker for 3 games as I imagine that will be classed as violent conduct. Good movement again and a handful but really is nowhere near as clinical as he needs to be. He's young so we should all give him some grace, but unfortunately for him he's been brought in to fire a title charge which looks like its already gone out the window. 

Nat Phillips is shite. Moving on...

Jurgen Klopp and FSG. Another season we'll spend trying to scrap our way into being also-rans and then have a parade afterwards and tell each other we're all a bunch of great lads. Well we all are and we love each and every one of you, but the lack of investment again this summer all but confirms that we have no aspirations to win a fucking title unless City capitulate, so let's just call a spade a spade. Who's fault that is, is really by the by. I don't care anymore. I always absolved Klopp of the blame because I thought he was overing for a bunch of tight cunt owners, but if he isnt then he's just as culpable.

The league has been ruined by state-owned cheaters but you know what, with even a fraction of their investment, we'd be sitting on at least 1 or 2 more titles. The owners are happy to put debt on the club to fund stadium expansions to better our gate receipts and further inflate their asset, but they wouldn't dare look to do the same or fund investment in the squad. Why? Cause they simply don't give that much of a fuck about winning. They're okay with us having a punchers chance, and with Klopp we've had one hell of an uppercut, but he can only throw so much with one arm tied behind his back (with or against his will).

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, rubble-rouser said:

Listening to the Anfield Wrap. Parallel universe.

Not listened to their shite in years

Going to go out on a limb and say

We're Boss

Everything is as planned

Nothing to worry about