You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crystal Palace (H) - Mon 15th Aug 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

1 minute ago, RedHeadedRed said:

Anderson played Nunez there he knew exactly what he was doing it's just disappointing Nunez fell for it. He's young he needs to learn from it going forward. Watching the game I said to myself I guarantee the ref will book that keeper in injury time and lo and behold bang on ninety minutes. It's a fucking joke.

not quite.

Check this out

he tried to headbutt him before as well, what an idiot

Just now, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

We used to be so patient and controlled in the build up. Just all over the place these days.

Too keen to get the ball lofted into the box. We can't catch teams on the break anymore (the shitter teams anyway) because they sit so deep and play for a nil nil and a with any luck a counter attack. Can't blame them of course. 

The energy in the first half was good on the whole, but when we did get into good positions, the finish was sorely lacking. Palace were clearly looking for the sucker punch and they found it when firstly Fab was completely wrong-footed by Eze and then Nat was undoneby Zaha's run. It was a good finish from the Palace man to be fair, even though he still had that completely incredulous expression plastered on his face.

Darwin's movement was very good for the time he was on the pitch, but his final touch for all his goal attempts was shambolic. Then he allowed himself to be goaded into retaliating and was correctly sent off. Still, Andersen was a complete shithouse there.

Far from making what was becoming an incresingly disjointed performance go even more than way, the red card seemed to liven us up. No-one more so than Lucio who'd been having a bit of a stinker up to then. What a fantastic goal that was to equalise. Definite shades of Bad Back Phil about that one.

We went what looked like 2-3-1-3 for the last 20 minutes as Trent pushed upfield into the attack, and Phil 2.0 came on for the tiring Harvey. He could have had a goal too, seeing his first-time volley fizz just wide. That would have been a belter had it found the net.

The ref did actually let a lot of stuff go (for both teams) but he refused to act on Palace keeper Guaita's time-wasting. Predictably enough, the keeper picked up a yellow card in the final couple of minutes when it is no punishment at all.

Like against Fulham, it's a point gained from a losing position but we really need to break out of the habit of finding ourselves in losing position. It feels like the last time we scored first was either the FA Cup semi or when the Red Mancs came to town and got their arses handed to them.

Sort it out!

We started off well but we just continue to need too many chances to score. Unfortunately Salah's Community Shield performance is looking like an anomaly as his performances in the first 2 games have mostly resembled what we saw him of him in the second half of last season. Trent laid 2 chances on a plate for him and things probably would have turned out very differently if he'd stuck one of them away. We got caught out by a sucker punch with Palace scoring with their first chance of any note and after that everything started to seem way too rushed. How many league games in a row have we conceded the first goal in now? I've no idea how Nunez didn't score just before halftime and then he stupidly got himself sent off and really put us up against it. We at least salvaged a point with a moment of Diaz brilliance but never really looked much like scoring after that, and it was only really Zaha reverting to his usual mediocrity that prevented us from conceding on the break again. 

It was stupid from Nunez and his performance had been pretty awful before that as well, but there wasn't a single word from the commentators about the embarrassing reaction of the Palace defender. Their narrative changes from day to day as this was just a day after Souness was raving about how happy he'd been to see a lack of such behaviour in their live games; if it had been someone like Salah reacting like that the media would have been bitching about it for the next month. 

Is there a clearer indicator that a ref has been a cunt for a complete game than him booking the opposition keeper for timewasting in the last few minutes when the keeper has been at it for the entire game?

I think the league's gone already. We'd have to win pretty much every game before the world cup to make up for this start now. I'm not even especially confident we'll go and get the job done against that clown show at Old Trafford the way we're playing. Maybe the players are just mentally drained after the way last season finished, maybe it was the season starting so soon after the last one because of the ridiculous decision to host the world cup halfway through the season (and it was probably the worst possible year for such an early start after we played so many games last season), maybe it's all the injuries, or maybe there's only so long Jurgen can keep on performing miracles with such a low net spend, but something has looked really amiss in these first 2 games and it's difficult not to be concerned. 

I thought Elliot had a decent game. That's one of the few positives I can think of right now.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

The Phillips bantz was fun for a while but fuck me let’s hope that’s the last we see of him. 

He’s a decent footballer but clearly not in our top four centre halves. Looked very rusty tonight, which is to be expected. 

I’d be more worried about some of our key players. 

Salah’s performance - or the way we use him - was disappointing again. I assume he’s our highest paid player of all time now. Would be nice to see a bit of the old magic from him again. He’s so, so easy to play against these days, especially when a team sits back. 

We have problems. Piss poor finishing (except Diaz), fuck all squad depth, injuries galore and now a suspension to Nunez. Who do we replace him with? Nobody, because the dicks at the top think losing 3 forwards and signing just 1 will be enough to last the whole season. Elliott was good but there is no way he should be starting with Milner. A kid and a veteran. FSG - get your fucking chequebook out and fucking sign someone like you should have done when Wijnaldum left.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

We used to be so patient and controlled in the build up. Just all over the place these days.

That's what happens when you have a striker like Nunez up front. You're compelled to find him as directly and early as possible because it's not pretty trying to find him to feet.

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Too keen to get the ball lofted into the box. We can't catch teams on the break anymore (the shitter teams anyway) because they sit so deep and play for a nil nil and a with any luck a counter attack. Can't blame them of course. 

They always sat back. We used to move the ball side to side and just wait for gaps. Back when Bobby was good. And salah was good.

Just now, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

They always sat back. We used to move the ball side to side and just wait for gaps. Back when Bobby was good. And salah was good.

Klopp just nailed it, we barely got in behind them and when we did the player was on the stretch to get the ball in. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Klopp just nailed it, we barely got in behind them and when we did the player was on the stretch to get the ball in. 

Theres we badly need a midfielder or 2 with pace we are too slow there we dont move the ball quickly enough for me to get in behind sort it out FSG ffs

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Need to get the full backs wider and the wide forwards narrower - did that twice in the first half and Mo had 2 chances

We don’t look like getting to the byline 

1 minute ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Badly need to freshen this squad up.

3 out and 3 in in midfield and another forward player required imo.

Get the chequebook out John.

He won't though. We'll go into the season with this squad, struggle like fuck and he'll still do fuck all about it. 

Honestly how can a club of our size be one of the lowest spending teams in the league with the amount of revenue that comes into it? 

We spend absolutely nothing year upon year unless we sell. Its not sustainable if you have ambition. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jennings said:

We win that game with eleven players. 

I wish I had your confidence. I honestly couldn't see where a 2nd goal was going to come from other than a huge bit of luck. We were awful. Just hope it's not an indicator of our full season ahead.

9 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

This. We’ve got numerous threads on here ridiculing fans from underperforming clubs. 

Absolutely no reason to believe that the amount of entitled muppets is any lower in our fanbase.

Where is the entitlement?

I think league is gone already and it has nothing to do with entitlement it is solely down to knowing what it is we are up against.

Man City got 93 pts last season - do you think they'll be worse this season?

Sadly i don't and therefore my view is we would need a minimum of 94 pts to win title this season.

That means dropping a maximum of a mere 20 pts all season - we have already dropped 4.....leaving 16.

To get 94 pts now from here we need 92 fron 36 which is about 98 over a season form.

Sadly i just can't see how we do that.....now of course the 'ask' to win it may only be a more 'normal' 85/86 pts - but with those cheating bastards Man City can you really see that being case?

We have already failed to pick up titles with 97 and 92 pts due to where they have moved bar to...So for me it is not about 'entitlement' it is just about the sad reality of what it takes now to overhaul those cheating bastards.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bizzle10 said:

Theres we badly need a midfielder or 2 with pace we are too slow there we dont move the ball quickly enough for me to get in behind sort it out FSG ffs

Just now, rubble-rouser said:

Need to get the full backs wider and the wide forwards narrower - did that twice in the first half and Mo had 2 chances

The shape between Trent, Elliot and Milner didn’t look right. Almost getting in each other’s way. 

1 minute ago, rubble-rouser said:

Makes me so pissed off when the fullbacks constantly go inside leaving no wide option. Condenses the game enormously. Fucking shit it is