You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crystal Palace (H) - Mon 15th Aug 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

The first home game of the season then, and it’s being played on the Monday night. Both sides go into it with something to prove, with Vieira’s charges unable to lay a glove on Arteta’s flaky Gunners in the league season’s curtain raiser last Friday night. Our performance at Fulham has already been pored over ad infinitum, with many of our fans having already written the season off as we lie 2 points behind City with 37 games still to play. For some, it’s already all over bar the shouting. Thankfully, neither our players nor the coaching staff thinks that way.

Nous. Intensity. Nerve. Effervescence. Nuisance factor. Intelligence. Luck.

I don’t ask for much.

Our biggest Premier League win in this fixture came at the end of November 1992. We were miles off the pace in the league as United and Villa (and for a while, Norwich!) led the way in the inaugural football season (© Sky Sports). Souness had assembled a squad where the old guard had seen better days, the youngsters - though game - needed those around them to display more consistency in order to truly flourish, and we had more than our fair share of bang-average. The club in practically every regard had fallen into the pack of also-rans that they’d managed to keep at arm’s length over the previous couple of decades.

Against Palace though (who were wearing the colours of Brazil), the team displayed something that showed the fans that there might be some promise this season. Barnesy was back after a lay-off and he looked sharp. For the opener, he teased the Palace defence down their left before lofting a ball into the centre of the six yard box where Macca of all people was waiting to bullet a header past Nigel Martyn. Macca turned provider for our second, playing the ball back to Marshy 40 yards from goal.He strode forward into the space and smashed a 30-yard rocket into the top left hand corner. Great goal that one. Palace’s day went from bad to worse when a misplaced header back to Martyn was prevented from going behind for a corner by the scrambling keeper. Unfortunately for him, he gifted the ball to Macca who cut into the area and picked his spot as a couple of Palace defenders funnelled back to the goal line in vain. Macca then set up Ronny was a tap in from six yards on the hour mark for number four, and Hutch controlled a Marshy cross and cracked a low volley into the bottom corner for 5-0. There were still 15 minutes to play and another 9-0 hammering was possible, but the players took mercy on their opponents and the rest of the match petered out into a training session with the players playing keep ball and not looking to boost the goal difference. Here are the goals from this one.

The big film in November 1992 was the sequel to the hit Christmas film of 1990, Home Alone. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York sees Macaulay Culkin’s Kevin actually make it to the airport for the family’s Christmas vacation, only to lose sight of his dad when faffing about with batteries for his recording device. He boards a flight to New York while the family are headed for Paris. Cue shenanigans at the 5-star hotel where Kevin checks in and toys with the suspicious hotel staff, especially Tim Curry’s concierge. We also see the return of small-time burglars Harry and Marv, this time dubbed the Sticky Bandits. This ultimately leads to Kevin turning a brownstone undergoing renovation into the latest multi-storey booby-trap. Yet again, Kevin’s mum seems to be the only one really arsed about Kevin’s safety and wellbeing as she frantically makes a dash for New York after Kevin’s dad learns that his credit card was used there. Not as good as the original but still a very good film. You can tell that Stern and Pesci were having a blast as the hapless burglars, just as they had in the first film. The traps are again inventive, and the director never loses sight of the heart aspect of the story.

Nothing of significance happened on November 28th 1992, judging by a trawl of the internet. Very much a slow news day by the looks of things. I turned 14 on this day, so I suppose that’s of significance. Exactly two years earlier we had a seismic event in the House of Commons when Thatcher stepped down as PM in the wake of challenges to her leadership. She saw the writing on the wall following Michael Heseltine’s challenge, barely scraping the first-round ballot and requiring a second. She no longer had the authority she had commanded for over a decade, and several of her key allies had already jumped ship or been openly critical of her stance on issues like the European Monetary Union. She chose to stand down of her own volition rather than face the humiliation of a successful leadership challenge by Heseltine. Her departure would signal over half a decade of infighting amongst the Tories, and the UK’s departure from the Exchange Rate Mechanism was one of the key disasters of British politics under her successor John Major’s premiership.

_52657351_h_00203725.jpg

Jurgen read the riot act to his players after the Fulham game, judging by his demeanour after that match. He was not happy and clearly intimated that the players did not go into the match with the right mentality. A rocket up their arse, more than a week to stew on it, and a baying home crowd should see us put things to rights. We might be short of options in midfield, but barring a couple of exceptions in other departments, we do have a good squad to pick from. One that is well capable of getting a result against the Eagles. Sadio used to score against this lot for fun, but we have plenty of attacking threats that his departure should not matter. It is simply a case of approaching the game with the right focus, attitude and application, and doing all the things we know we can do. Get that bit right and we stand a great chance of grabbing the 3 points. Get out there, don’t be complacent, and get the job done.

• Upvote 10

That Palace match referenced above was one of my first ever games. I remember listening to Radio City in the car on the way home, Graham Beacroft interviewing the players, a nice Saturday tea, back to my room for wanking over Baywatch and videoing Match of the day later that night, lovely stuff.

• Upvote 1

Gotta start Nunez and Naby. VVD has made his only mistake this season.

Alisson

Trent

Joel

Virg

Robbo

Fabinho

Hendo

Keita (or Elliot if he’s ill)

Diaz 

Nunez

Mo

2 hat tricks and a clean sheet should propel us up the fucking table.

We've got to knock these shit starts on the head. The players being shell-shocked when another club presses them and applies pressure. We earnt the right bit by bit to become along with City the top side in the country. Every point this season needs to be earnt we are not going to turn up stroll around and walk away with 3 points. Nunez has to start, no

idea what the midfield will be  I wouldnt really want henderson left side of midfield to accommodate Harvey because Trent will be getting his arsehole rinsed by Zaha. If Keita is recovered and has trained he will play purely because options are limited. I'm nervous about this game, we were so shit against Fulham it was absurd and Palace are better than Fulham because Fulham are shit, we made them look like contenders.

Damn I'm still annoyed by that game. I think because it's first game of the season you want to begin it with such optimism and the players served up one of the worst individual and collective performances I've seen.

Klopp seemed pretty tetchy in the presser this morning. It's always hard to tell if it's some kind of strategy or just a plain and simple bad mood, but he was quick to object to questions and for the first time I can remember he also admitted Bobby was under-par. I guess the ridiculous 'dry pitch' complaint being blown out of all proportions could have rattled him, but he didn't seem happy.

1 hour ago, gkmacca said:

Klopp seemed pretty tetchy in the presser this morning. It's always hard to tell if it's some kind of strategy or just a plain and simple bad mood, but he was quick to object to questions and for the first time I can remember he also admitted Bobby was under-par. I guess the ridiculous 'dry pitch' complaint being blown out of all proportions could have rattled him, but he didn't seem happy.

He looked bored shitless by the stupid questions and full of disdain for the clowns asking them...

Hopefully nothing more than that.