You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fulham 2 Liverpool 2 (Aug 6 2022)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Oooof! Didn’t see that coming. Fucking hell. It’s ok for the likes of me to think we’d go to Fulham and just roll over them, but it’s not good when the players go there with the same attitude. Other than a couple of good spells in which we scored, this was appalling.

Complacency is not something we can often accuse these lads of and I’m usually reluctant to do that. I probably wouldn’t be doing it now if Klopp himself hadn’t come out afterwards and said we started the game with the wrong attitude. Usually they get the benefit of the doubt on that and the rare poor performances can be attributed to just a bad day at the office. This wasn’t that though, we didn’t look ready for the game and seemed flustered by the intensity of Fulham. 

In the first half we were outworked, outfought and for once didn’t seem to relish the hectic nature of the game. Usually we thrive when the game is fast paced and an opponent tries to go toe to toe with us. Fulham pushed up high and tried to play the game in our half. That’s normally suicide but in the first half it worked because we didn't match them.

The thing is though, there was nothing Fulham did that we haven’t faced before, and faced from much better opponents. Let’s not dress it up as something it isn't. Fulham are still shit. Just because we made them look good in this game doesn’t suddenly make them anything other than strong relegation candidates. 

Credit to them for how well they played but this result was almost entirely down to us being shit. And as shit as we were we still had enough chances to still win the game. Had it not been for Klopp’s comments I’d probably have put this down to us being undercooked because of the shortened pre-season, but then if that was the case how could we look so sharp last week against City?

The first 15 minutes of this game were genuinely awful. We kept getting caught in possession and couldn’t get out of our own half. You just never see that, even against good teams. To see it against a newly promoted team was mad and unsettling.

We were lucky to come through that spell unscathed and then we started to play a little bit. Not much, but on the odd occasion when we did put a few passes together we’d end up in their box in promising situations. It wasn’t enough though and it wasn’t a shock when we fell behind. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

Ok not great but...

1) he plays so many progressive forward passes that this is an occupational hazard. Mostly he was very good and had some nice Joel forays forward.

2) it still should never have led to a goal when its a forward as slow and limited (at dribbling) as Mitrovic running at Virgil.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, dave u said:

Ok not great but...

1) he plays so many progressive forward passes that this is an occupational hazard. Mostly he was very good and had some nice Joel forays forward.

2) it still should never have led to a goal when its a forward as slow and limited (at dribbling) as Mitrovic running at Virgil.

Agreed  Plus it happened (from memory) fairly high up the field too?

Great report. To be fair to Matip, he wasnt the only one having a poor game. I think that's the worst Ive seen us play in a long time. Dont get why Jurgen didnt start Darwin if Im honest except through loyalty tohis experienced players, in this case Bobby.

Had to laugh in the match thread when someone said Harvey isnt good enough minutes after coming on!

Bobby is playing because Klopp is loyal to players (eg Moreno) but I believe he will play Nunez from the start next Monday. 

Bob had to tell rushy to be more greedy when he arrived from Chester. A confidence thing I suspect, wanting to fit into a squad full of great players. Jurgen needs to have the same conversation with Darwin. In the limited time ive watched him there have been several opportunities to shoot eschewed for an attempted pass. Just put the ball into the back of the net lad. 

1 hour ago, Barnesey said:

Bobby is playing because Klopp is loyal to players (eg Moreno) but I believe he will play Nunez from the start next Monday. 

Bob had to tell rushy to be more greedy when he arrived from Chester. A confidence thing I suspect, wanting to fit into a squad full of great players. Jurgen needs to have the same conversation with Darwin. In the limited time ive watched him there have been several opportunities to shoot eschewed for an attempted pass. Just put the ball into the back of the net lad. 

He’s made two - count ‘em!!! - appearances, both off the bench, scoring and assisting in each and you’re criticising him? Tough crowd. 

• Upvote 2

One thing that crossed my mind was that Klopp and team had been out thought by Marco Silva. 

Silva has a reputation for creating footballing teams and this was certainly the case earlier in his career and at the blue shite they were easy to play against. I dont watch the championship but my guess would be wth the amount of goals scored then Fulham were decent compared to the rest.

What we saw on Saturday was a front foot agressiveteam ot one at all who were passive. May be Klopp and the team were suckereed by that and once you start with a certain mindset and plan it can be hard to change. 

Additionally Fulham played a blinder in terms of managing the referee...they were aggressive in tackle right up to the point ofbeing pver agressive and if they got theeir opprtunity to leaveone on a player then they did it. The other side of teh coin was that they fell to ground with increasing ease throiugh the game and the ref bought it which was disappointing.

Roll on Palace!

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic