You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Burnley set to land van den Berg on loan

TLW

Sepp van den Berg is set to be loaned out for another season with newly relegated Burnley likely to be his destination.

The Dutchman has spent the last season and a half at Preston North End making 61 appearances for the Championship club, and returned to his parent club in the summer making the bench in the opening game of the season against Fulham.

The 20 year-old has made four appearances for Liverpool which have all come in domestic cup competitions but is yet to make his league debut.

And with the quality of depth that the Reds have in the central defensive position, that is unlikely to change in the near future and like Rhys Williams at Blackpool, the best pathway forward is for him to continue his Football education at another club for now.

Lancs Live reports that the Burnley have stolen a march over their bitter Lancashire rivals Blackburn and are in the box seat to get the deal done with Liverpool apparently happy for that to be the case.

image.png

The Clarets have had a complete change of approach in the summer from the dogged and backs to the wall resistance of Sean Dyche to former Man City captain Vincent Kompany who favours giving youth a chance and wanting his team to dominate position.

And being a defender who is comfortable with the ball at his feet and an eye for a pass, if this loan does go ahead it could be beneficial for all parties.

The Dutch U/21 international is under contract at the Reds until 2024.

View full article

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I have no idea if this lad is ready for the first team, but he was deemed needed for the bench in Saturday, so it seems strange loaning him out. 

Didn't Klopp say Nat Phillips is likely staying put till January now. Probably a case of the club seeing a potential long term place for Sepp and not Nat. So loaning him out now will be more beneficial in the long run. Realistically he isn't going to get a game for us, Ramsey,Tsimikas are the 2nd choices and Gomez/Milner offer emergency cover. Virg plays most games and Matip,Gomez and Konate all block him from games as a CB. Phillips for emergencies. Reckon they probably see Sepp as long term replacement for Matip

28 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Didn't Klopp say Nat Phillips is likely staying put till January now. Probably a case of the club seeing a potential long term place for Sepp and not Nat. So loaning him out now will be more beneficial in the long run. Realistically he isn't going to get a game for us, Ramsey,Tsimikas are the 2nd choices and Gomez/Milner offer emergency cover. Virg plays most games and Matip,Gomez and Konate all block him from games as a CB. Phillips for emergencies. Reckon they probably see Sepp as long term replacement for Matip

I didn't hear that about Phillips but you'd have thought if that was the case he'd have been on the bench. 

How long is konate out for? I've not read anything but someone text me last week and said it could be 3 months. I've not checked on that like. 

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I didn't hear that about Phillips but you'd have thought if that was the case he'd have been on the bench. 

How long is konate out for? I've not read anything but someone text me last week and said it could be 3 months. I've not checked on that like. 

Not sure,not heard anything about it being that long. All I can see is a while, so knowing how accurately our medical staff puy stuff out to the media I expect we will see him post world cup....2026

• Upvote 1