You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fulham (A) - Sat 6th Aug 2022 (12:30pm)

Trumo

14 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You have to question the pre-season. Went on that shit tour that obviously wasn't ideal, then we seemed to ramp up exclusively for the Community Shield, a game that means nothing, and have about 10 injuries. Doesn't seem well thought up.

No idea why we played a friendly last Sunday and have another one tomorrow!

With the five subs rule and the amount of fixtures bring crammed in before the winter world cup, there was always going to be plenty of opportunities for game time.

The attitude and midfield were our main problems today, a lot of that is down to the players but one thing that is 100% down to the manager is picking Bobby Firmino over our new striker, the one who scores goals, gets assists & scares the shit out of other teams.

Bobby has had 1 decent game in 5 (if that) the last 2 or 3 seasons, time to get him the fuck out of the team, he offers absolutely fuck all now. Keep him around as the court jester at Melwood if needs be bit he should be nowhere near our starting line up in big games.

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

The attitude and midfield were our main problems today, a lot of that is down to the players but one thing that is 100% down to the manager is picking Bobby Firmino over our new striker, the one who scores goals, gets assists & scares the shit out of other teams.

Bobby has had 1 decent game in 5 (if that) the last 2 or 3 seasons, time to get him the fuck out of the team, he offers absolutely fuck all now. Keep him around as the court jester at Melwood if needs be bit he should be nowhere near our starting line up in big games.

Was Klopp duped into thinking Fulham were going to stick 11 men behind the ball? 

It seems like he was, and that explains why our players were also somehow surprised.  It seems our entire gameplan was based on playing a Fulham side that didn't exist. Instead we came up against another Fulham side, one we hadn't prepared for. 

To be fair, I'm not that arsed about the league, it's winning the CL that I want.  This league is City's to lose, Haaland will score 4 against teams like these. 

What really narks me about today is the attitude we started game with and fact that in a league where we have so little room for error if we want to win it, we have already fucked a chunk of that tiny room for error up the wall against absolute shite.

Really, really fucking frustrating.

• Upvote 3

It looked like a poor attitude, and we were surprisingly lethargic. After last season's near miss, many posters said we have to hit the ground running, and win as many games as possible - and be ahead of City by the World Cup. Two points already gone, isn't the best start, and you imagine City will take them apart. 

However it's one game - lets see where we are after another 5 or 6 games.

6 minutes ago, Haan'sThunderbolt said:

It looked like a poor attitude, and we were surprisingly lethargic. After last season's near miss, many posters said we have to hit the ground running, and win as many games as possible - and be ahead of City by the World Cup. Two points already gone, isn't the best start, and you imagine City will take them apart. 

However it's one game - lets see where we are after another 5 or 6 games.

Got some very tricky away games coming.

Trips to the pit, the toilet, chelsea and arsenal.

Are we better than all of them? Yes, we are.

But they are definitely 4 of our trickiest aways.

We can of course pick up a lot of points in them, but dropping pts is certainly not impossible....dropping 2 today v dross is just not helpful, the room for error is ridiculously small and we've wasted a chunk of it today.

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

You have to question the pre-season. Went on that shit tour that obviously wasn't ideal, then we seemed to ramp up exclusively for the Community Shield, a game that means nothing, and have about 10 injuries. Doesn't seem well thought up.

I have no idea whether the tour to Thailand negatively affected the players or not but in terms of modern travel and fitness protocols for a billion dollar football club it really shouldn't be doing so it's hard for me to blame that.

My take on the Community Shield is that it was always going to mean something the players, particularly the senior ones, because it was against City and it's technically a trophy even if it's treated like a friendly in terms of the amount of subs allowed and most fans over the age of 10 don't really care about winning it. I don't think it was the Manager or coaching staff's intention for our ramp up of intensity to be exclusive to that but rather for us to carry on from there taking any momentum into our regular season. The friendly the day after is of course completely bizarre as is the one tomorrow (which I only learned about today), and that could've negatively affected the attitudes of certain players and certainly didn't help us on the injury front even if it's really only Konate who might've started today that got injured.

Honestly it looked like we turned up for a game against the Fulham we could've expected to see after they've been turned over a handful of times rather than a newly promoted side hungry to prove they belong and no reason to believe otherwise. I didn't see the first half but what I did see we looked very disjointed both ways, and the majority of our players were very anxious in possession. Too many hopeful balls rather than playing good football. We took their go ahead pen like a real kick in the balls, which for me is soft he's already lost the ball when any slight knee contact is made and I think there's more contact on every corner in the league every weekend but as well all know if you leave it up to the refs and VAR you're going to get fucked plenty of times. We were a bit lucky to get back level. Never really threatened after that. It's not the ideal start obviously but it's really about how we respond to it as a team. If we come out flat against Palace I'll be far more concerned.

15 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Nunez is a massive positive - he’s j

constantly looking to push in behind / get on the end of crosses & generally just being a handful to deal with. 

Given the shite memes being posted in preseason, this point is largely being missed! The bloke looks the absolute fucking business. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

Well that will be a change from recent years.

Personally, I think it was an important victory in the Community Shield. City getting beaten at the start of a season gives all the teams a lift for when they have to face them. Also, in a sense, a comeback draw for us against Fulham - and playing well below average- with Fulham playing out of their skins, shows exactly what it takes to beat us. It’s not very easy beating us as was shown in the last 24 hrs.

6 hours ago, A_S said:

Given the shite memes being posted in preseason, this point is largely being missed! The bloke looks the absolute fucking business. 

Gonna score 25 of the absolute worst goals you've ever seen this season. Bounces off his arse, deflections, goalkeeper errors, the lot.

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Gonna score 25 of the absolute worst goals you've ever seen this season. Bounces off his arse, deflections, goalkeeper errors, the lot.

Just like Inzaghi then. God I hated him, particularly after 2007 but that hysterical cunt knew where the back of the net was.

• Upvote 1

Well it's the next day. That was fucking awful. A really bad performance from a lot of players, first half Fulham made us look like a championship side. The attitude was off it felt there was no fight or intensity. The midfield wasn't there. They really need to bounce back from that performance because it was that bad it was slightly concerning. Hopefully it's a one off kick up the arse. Fabinho was so bad it was bizarre.

That was horrific yesterday.  with the possible exception of Nunez and Salah, they were all shite. The goalie, the fullbacks (another fucking clueless performance from Robertson and a pathetic performance from Trent), the CBs were woeful, the midfield (another useless cowardly performance from Henderson in particular) and that performance from Firmino was that bad, it was Firmino like.  Diaz yet to convince with another lightweight performance - he’s going to have to learn how to put a shift in defensively rather than wait for the ball to come to him- make an impact son. Thiago getting injured already pits us into crisis mode.  Uphill struggle until we get him back.   Onwards and upwards.