You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fulham (A) - Sat 6th Aug 2022 (12:30pm)

Trumo

The main thing I got from that game is the confirmation that I haven't had enough of a break from football. This season is only for part-time grief. 

Other than that: 

If Fulham play that cynically against other teams, and get away with it, good. We might make up some points, and they'll get all the hatred they deserve. Some of their players are almost Evertonian in their ghastliness. That braided twat who got subbed before he could be sent off - the way he dived through the air, writhed around and then got up - after the idiot ref blew the whistle - and grinned and winked. What a shit.

I don't think I've seen so many passes intercepted in ages. We were mentally slow more than anything.

Trent is still in that strange phase where he makes the stupidest of decisions. It was extraordinary. Just idiot decisions. He's really acting very oddly for such a normally smart footballer.

I still don't get the hype around Elliott. He moves like an oil-tanker. An unusually nippy oil tanker, true, but an oil tanker all the same. The way he cranks his way around 360 degrees, often for no reason, and then passes to an opponent - strange. He has good technique and a great attitude, but christ he needs to deliver way more. I can't think of a player who has ever - ever - had more in-house hype than this kid - in lockdown Pep even did a fawning interview with him! - and yet, so far, nothing like enough to justify it.

As for the rest: just really disappointing. 

19 minutes ago, Shitty Arse said:

Mitrovic playing like the love child of Cruyff and Pele against us. I’m sure he’ll maintain that level over the season. Fucking cunt. 

He was shite, he IS shite, and we were somehow shitter. 

In this new dawn of referee sherrifs, grocks like him will make hay. 

Nat Phillips is now our best CB. 

One of the things that got me: once they started with all the stupid cynical tricks, our players - veterans of European Champions League campaigns and finals - should have rolled their eyes and thought, 'You simpletons want to try that stuff, against US??? Okay, let's get the ref on your case'. Instead they just got played like patsies time and again. We could and should have got at least a third of their team booked by the hour mark. We're way too fair-minded in those situations. 

1 hour ago, Moo said:

No one's talking about for the sake of it.  If we have targets and the money is available we should be trying to sign them.  I'm sure we don't only target those who are readily available.

We tried to sign Tchouameni and he picked Madrid over us, it's clear that we want Bellingham but he's not available this summer. 

We've made a decision now to go with Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago, Keita, Jones, Ox, Elliott, Milner and potentially Carvalho could play there.

That's 8/9 players for three positions. The problem we have is that there are question marks around the fitness and or quality of virtually all of them. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

We tried to sign Tchouameni and he picked Madrid over us, it's clear that we want Bellingham but he's not available this summer. 

We've made a decision now to go with Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago, Keita, Jones, Ox, Elliott, Milner and potentially Carvalho could play there.

That's 8/9 players for three positions. The problem we have is that there are question marks around the fitness and or quality of virtually all of them. 

Name a club that doesn't want Bellingham.  He won't be coming here, it's just fan talk.

A hard-earned point considering we were distinctly second best for much of this game. Fulham played with an intensity that is highly likely to be lacking later in the season when it might have be beneficial for us, but more telling was that we looked completely taken aback by it. Some of our players seemed to be on their heels the whole time. Maybe it's partly because teams don't generally do that against us. Mitrovic was a handful and far more effective than our entire starting front 3. It wasn't until we made our subs (one injury enforced) that we looked anything like dangerous. Nunez had another very good cameo.

It's one game, but hopefully it's the rocket up the arse the players need. We can be and should be much better.

Ah well. Just a game of footy and not a great one by us. Midfield was garbage and the defence not much different. Fulham might have been snidey but fair dos, they’re doing what they need to survive, it’s the ref that deserves the shit. Positives - Nunez and Mo being good for each other. Onwards and upwards. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Moo said:

Name a club that doesn't want Bellingham.  He won't be coming here, it's just fan talk.

I do think we will end up getting priced out of any deal for him, unless he really wants to come to us.

Maybe he has already told us that he is prepared to buy in to our way of doing things?

47 minutes ago, bossy said:

Ah well. Just a game of footy and not a great one by us. Midfield was garbage and the defence not much different. Fulham might have been snidey but fair dos, they’re doing what they need to survive, it’s the ref that deserves the shit. Positives - Nunez and Mo being good for each other. Onwards and upwards. 

This. 

We'll have lots and lots of better days. City will have some rubbish days. Onwards and upwards.

• Upvote 2

Very disappointing performance that seemed more about a poor attitude than anything else. Trent was way off from minute one and our whole defence was uncharacteristically below par. The disappointing thing is that Fulham will be shit against most other teams and we will already be playing catch up in no time at all.

3 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

I'd be starting Milner and Nunez in the next game for sure. Tsimikas too if he's fit. Fulham looked fitter and sharper than us, looked like we hadn't done anywhere near enough in preseason.

No clue why that pen is even being talked about as controversial, Virgil goes across him, doesn't get the ball, and makes contact. Yeah maybe not very much contact but that doesn't matter in today's game, if you put a leg across like that you have to get the ball and Virgil didn't.

You have to question the pre-season. Went on that shit tour that obviously wasn't ideal, then we seemed to ramp up exclusively for the Community Shield, a game that means nothing, and have about 10 injuries. Doesn't seem well thought up.

• Upvote 2