You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Community Shield Match Reaction

tlw content

The first silverware of the season is in the cabinet and Darwin Nunez is off the mark as the Reds struck the first blow in what will surely be another epic season long battle with Manchester City.

Chris Smith and Dave Usher look back on a quality performance and richly deserved win by Klopp's men. Thiago dazzled, Mo was magical and Darwin has arrived. Up the Reds!

View full article

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

• dave u pinned this topic

Great podcast again.

Have to take issue with Dave over his 'if Alli's in goal, city dont score that.' As an ex cat, that ball is kicked out of Adrian's hands all day long. He doesnt drop that ball for foden to prod across goal, it's clearly kicked out of Adrian's hands. If Alli or Kelleher are playing and it gets kicked out of their hands, it's a 'goal' just the same.

It's like the Carroll on Mignolet incident a few years back. The ref says Mig 'dropped' the ball! well yeah, after getting smashed around the head he might of. But it's still a foul.

When the keeper has two hands on the ball, or even one on top of it and the striker kicks the ball as we saw last season, it's a foul. Unlike cricket, there isnt the 'is it under control?' test. Neither does the keeper have to have both hands on the ball for 1, 2 or however many seconds. Unless they changed the rules again.

That was the rule but as I keep saying, refs make it up as they go along. I look forward to us scoring lots of goals this season when Mo, Bobby, Darwin, Jota and Diaz knock the ball out of the keeper's hands and the goal is given. Oh yeah, there's a pink elephant just flown past my window!

In any event, I thought Matip could have reacted quicker to Foden's prod across goal.

• Upvote 2

I'd need to see it again but to me Foden has the ball at his feet and Adrian reaches around him to put both hands on it. But that's not different to when a keeper runs out and dives at a forward's feet when they're running towards goal. It's not the same as a keeper diving on the ball and someone running in and booting it out of his hands. 

I'd have been livid if we'd scored that and it was ruled out.

The mad thing about that goal is Trent just completely stopping because he saw the flag go up. He's not even looking at the lad when he scores.

8 minutes ago, dave u said:

I'd need to see it again but to me Foden has the ball at his feet and Adrian reaches around him to put both hands on it. But that's not different to when a keeper runs out and dives at a forward's feet when they're running towards goal. It's not the same as a keeper diving on the ball and someone running in and booting it out of his hands. 

I'd have been livid if we'd scored that and it was ruled out.

The mad thing about that goal is Trent just completely stopping because he saw the flag go up. He's not even looking at the lad when he scores.

Me too. I was almost livid it was ruled out for them.

The offside call was a joke.

• Upvote 1

The offside was tight. You can see on the replay he's just on but I can't blame the lino for getting that wrong when it was so close. It was mental how long it took them to make the decision though. You could tell on the first freeze frame he was on.

• dave u unpinned this topic