You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (Jul 25-29 2022)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Monday Jul 25:

Didn’t do one of these last week because there wasn’t anything happening. Then as the week drew to a close loads went down. David Moores died. I don’t really have anything to say about that other than to offer condolences to his family. His house is about 2 minutes from mine but I’ve never seen him out and about which I always thought was weird. Maybe he’s been in poor health for a while. RIP anyway.

Also last week, we had a 5-0 friendly win in Leipzig in which Nunez scored four. I do have things to say about that. Only one of the goals actually impressed me. Three of them were very much in the “Darren Bent finishes” category. The keeper should have saved two of them (one from the spot) and Darwin almost missed the easiest of the chances and it went in off the post. His second goal was a lovely finish though. My point here isn’t to downplay what he did though. It’s more a case of showing the folly of this judging players on pre-season stuff. 

He was being ripped by rival fans for not scoring in a couple of short appearances. That was ridiculous. Now he scored four in a half there’s a temptation to go overboard and read way too much into that. Don’t do it. It means fuck all. Let’s wait and see how he does when the real stuff starts and then we can judge. These games mean nothing.

That said, I’ve seen enough of Carvalho to know he’s going to be a fucking superstar and I’m also really struggling to hold off on declaring Stefan Bajcetic the next big thing. He looks really good so far for 17. I don’t think he’s even played in the 21s yet. Looks to be some prospect though. 

Staying with the pre-season theme and how results mean nothing, look at Everton. Last week their fans were laughing at us for losing 4-0 to Manchester United. A few days ago they lost 4-0 to… Minnesota United. You just can't write this shit. That might just be the most Everton thing ever. 

It was their strongest line up too. Pre-season results mean fuck all but there’s still something about this one that sets off alarm bells. 4-0 to an MLS team isn’t good. They’re fucked aren’t they? The only thing that can save them this season is if the newly promoted clubs really stink. If one or two of them are decent, then it’s bye bye Everton.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic
8 hours ago, GodWearsNumber9 said:

Good to have you back again, when you don’t write for a couple of weeks it feels like months!

Season report card for Virgil? Have I missed it somewhere?

Weird. It was the first or second one I posted but it's not there! Something went wrong somehow. I'll post it up asap. 

On 31/07/2022 at 08:46, Arnaud said:

Diaz isn’t going to score 30 goals this year. He’s often making the one touch too much with the ball, head down. He still has a lot to prove but he’s a terrific prospect.

I don't think he even has a 20 goal season in him for us. He would always be a threat and he'll facilitate many goals but he hasnt showed us the natural cutting edge to consistently stick the ball in the net.

His finishing often lacks finesse and it can be a bit predictable. I reckon he'll still be a fine player for us though because our other attacking players would have a greater output when Diaz plays.

• Upvote 2

Other than a bit of interplay with Robbo it's almost as if Luis is like a 'special teams' addition and doesn't really connect with the rest of the team. If he can harness his brilliant start to add more awareness of when to pass, when to cross and when to shoot, we may have a megastar on our hands.

• Like 1

Not criticising you for being excited about Ljinders book, Dave. However, I'm not a big fan of Ljinder's tell it all style. Yes it's good for us to have an occasional peek behind the curtains but I'm not sure it's advisable to provide an all access book to our tactics and decisions at this time. Maybe a few more years down the line when Klopp is getting ready to retire.

I like the Kenny Dalglish management model of knowing when to give away as little as possible to the media or wider world. Klopp also has the balance just right. But Ljinders loves to talk as much as possible about what we do. I know he means no harm and is just an enthusiastic person though.

• dave u unpinned this topic