You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Liverpool's best and worst ever signings?

tlw content

Who is Liverpool's best ever signing? Is it the King, or perhaps the Egyptian King? Van Dijk or Hyypia? Maybe it's Barnes or Rush?

From the players who changed the direction of the club to those who were just incredible value for money, we run the rule over all of them and attempt to come up with a top three. In the interest of balance we also voted on the worst signing.

That was a much easier choice. Spoiler; he's the only number nine to play an entire season without scoring a league goal.

View full article

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Top 3

1. Mo

2. Suarez

3. Torres 

Nothing better than signing a player that just pisses goals for fun. Nobody can go toe to toe with Mo when it comes to scoring goals. He can equal Henry’s golden boot record this season.

Suarez was a one man wrecking ball. Had everything and you were happy to pay £50 every week to watch him play.

Torres an exotic dreamboat that scored goals for fun. You’ll struggle to find a more glamorous signing.

Worst 3

1. Markovic

2. Poulsen 

3. David James

You could easily do a dissertation on the amount of turds we’ve signed.

I’d watched Markovic a few times before we signed him and knew he was complete shite. Mind blowing somebody thought he was worth 20m 

Poulsen sums up the Hodgson era. From watching Alonso one week and then to watching that utter carthorse. 
James just squeezes out Karius as he cost us more trophies.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Top 3

1. Mo

2. Suarez

3. Torres 

Nothing better than signing a player that just pisses goals for fun. Nobody can go toe to toe with Mo when it comes to scoring goals. He can equal Henry’s golden boot record this season.

Suarez was a one man wrecking ball. Had everything and you were happy to pay £50 every week to watch him play.

Torres an exotic dreamboat that scored goals for fun. You’ll struggle to find a more glamorous signing.

Worst 3

1. Markovic

2. Poulsen 

3. David James

You could easily do a dissertation on the amount of turds we’ve signed.

I’d watched Markovic a few times before we signed him and knew he was complete shite. Mind blowing somebody thought he was worth 20m 

Poulsen sums up the Hodgson era. From watching Alonso one week and then to watching that utter carthorse. 
James just squeezes out Karius as he cost us more trophies.

Man, if I had my thinking cap on James would have been the No.1 for me. Ince and Ruddock up there too. 

• Upvote 1

Top 3 would be same as KMD7

3. Barnes - my favourite. Great player, a joy to watch and a class act of a man. Love him. 

2. Virg - was said on the pod and by many others, when you see him live, he is like a under 18 playing in an under 14 game. Awesome.

1. Kenny - I started watching the team in 1979 so saw most of his playing career with us. I was too young to understand tactics etc. but knew he was The King and the smile was infectious. What he has done since is the reason why when the club was in the shit in 2011 and they turned to him it regained it's identity and regained the pride of it's people. A class act. 

With honorable mentions for Sami, Suarez, Allison and Mo

Worst 3.

3. Hysén - I don't necessarily think he was a poor player but we badly needed a replacement for the retired Lawrence and aging Hansen and bought a slow 30 year old. The beginning of the end IMO. Been mentioned on here previously- by Dave I think - that we should have bought Pallister or equivalent and not Rush in 88. We were sorted up top. Harsh on Rushie but the team had changed with wingers and Aldridge scored at a high level for a further 3 years. 

2. Dicks - Not just him but he was a reflection of lazy/fat/useless/unprofessional pricks that Souness bought. Could just have easily been Ruddock, Stewart (obviously not his fault at all), Piechnik, James etc. Due diligence was non-existent 

1. Diouf. All day long. The biggest scumbag to ever don the shirt. Should have been fucked out the window when he started the many things he disgraced the club with. He was the beginning of the end of the promising beginning of Houllier's reign. The 98-01 Ged wouldn't have gone near him. An embarrassment. 

Of course Aquilani Balottelli Markovic Kewell Saunders Clough etc. we're poor purchases and a massive waste of money but sometimes that can be written off. Some buys are reflective of the end of an era. 

I like to think Fellaini was the Manc one. 

• Upvote 2

3. Andy Robbo. A complete “what the fuck?” signing. I just assumed he’d be a back up left back not go on to become the best in the world and arguably already our best ever LB. 

2. Sami Hyppia. Basically pennies for a world class CB who played regularly for us for 10 years. 

1. Allison. Solved our biggest problem and is already alongside Clemence as our greatest ever keeper. When he plays I don’t worry about our goal much at all. You get what you pay for. 

Worst 3: diouf, charlie adam, ruddock. 3 despicable shit cunts who should never have been anywhere near this football club unless they were an opposition player getting their arses handed to them. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

I enjoyed this, but it did suffer a bit from recency bias due to the age of the contributors. Surprised to not hear any shouts for Jocky who cost a bargain £100k or Stevie Nicol at £300k. Could have done with @stringvest to let us know how much of a bargain Albert Stubbins, Billy Liddel and Elisha Scott were.

I’ve thought about recency bias quite a lot over the last few years as my views have belatedly become skewed to the current team when it comes to the best and greatest. However, I think it’s bollocks as a factor in my thinking.

I rate these players and these deals because it’s the best football I’ve ever seen from the best team I’ve ever seen which includes many of the best players I’ve ever seen under the best manager I’ve ever seen.

I remember watching us through the Paisley and Fagan eras, but my clearest recollections really begin when I got serious as a Red in 1985 at the age of 14 when Kenny took over. It’s taken over thirty years for those players and that team to be supplanted in my estimations by this lot for a reason: they were amazing. However, this team has surpassed them in my view. It’s not recency bias; it’s just better football.

They clearly have advantages stemming from the huge advances in sports science, coaching and marginal gains culture; also the financial might of the PL has served to raise the levels of the entire division exponentially, bringing the best players and - crucially - managers and coaches from around the world to England.

However, it can’t be denied that these players consistently produce a higher level of football than their predecessors did. I think you can argue about the highest peaks (ie, it’s perfectly legitimate to argue Barnes was a better player than Suarez), but I think it’s inarguable that the levels collectively are many degrees higher every week now. Therefore to have the instant impact of a Van Dijk in this era is almost unthinkable. 

That said, true greatness stands the test of time; hence Kenny was my number one. 

• Upvote 4

Best:

1: Big Virg

2: Alisson

3: Mane

The main three, for me, that got us back up to where we belong. Obviously Klopp is the main factor but these three were the catalyst for CL football and the glut of trophies that followed.

Worst:

1: Diouf

2: Ruddock

3: Konchesky

Shit cunts.

• Upvote 1

Benteke is our worse signing. There were so many stupid things about it. 

Big fee, a pure manager signing when said manager was on the edge of getting sacked. Didn't fit our style of play, the squad, anything. 

Just the complete wrong process in every way. 

The best is probably van Dijk, regardless of fee. We became a world class team the moment he signed.

• Upvote 2

I’m ignoring all posts in this thread and saving this pod for a drive I have to Connemara next Tuesday. Once I’ve listened, I’ll be coming back on here to slaughter any of the utter bastards who picked my boy Aquilani. 

I should add, I mean anyone who says he’s shite. It obviously didn’t work out, but he was a great player. 

You bastards (in advance)

• Upvote 1

Only going to include players I’ve watched.

Best

1. Virgil - Best centre half I’ve ever seen. Worth every penny.

2. Mo Salah - Already one of the best players we’ve had.

3. Alisson - Best goalkeeper in the world.

Worst

1. Markovic - We paid £20m for him and he couldn’t even get a game for Fulham.

2. Balotelli - Awful first season and couldn’t give him away.

3. Keita - I like him as a footballer but he’s our 4th most expensive signing ever. 

• Upvote 2

On 03/08/2022 at 16:53, JohnnyH said:

I’m ignoring all posts in this thread and saving this pod for a drive I have to Connemara next Tuesday. Once I’ve listened, I’ll be coming back on here to slaughter any of the utter bastards who picked my boy Aquilani. 

I should add, I mean anyone who says he’s shite. It obviously didn’t work out, but he was a great player. 

You bastards (in advance)

what-the-fuck-fuck.gif

3 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

@dave u @Chris @Paul you lot know the season starts today, right?

season preview pod?

match preview pod?

you boys needed to put more work in during preseason. You’re not looking match sharp yet.

Dave’s had a few days away, the selfish get. We recorded last night and should be up soon mate. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic