You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (N) - Community Shield, Sat 30th Jul 2022 (5:00pm)

Trumo

12 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

They really are the most graceless top team there's been. They also can't do a guard of honour for the champions, video themselves singing mocking songs about other teams and STILL whine about their dented bus as if they were at the Alamo. They get away with way too much that other clubs would get attacked for.

if it wasn't for their oil money they'd be another Bolton, absolute yobs that won the lottery eating caviar on a jacobs cracker.

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

City ended up with Gundogan and Silva on the pitch. One who they told could leave and the other who has told them he wants to leave. They better hope Haaland hits the ground running.

Is it unlimited subs in this thing?

6 allowed i believe today

1 hour ago, an tha said:

We all know Adrian is shite.

He is 3rd choice and hopefully won't be and really shouldn't be required during season.

His performance today is neither here nor there.

Pretty much spot on.

Any win against these is well worth it, just to boil Guardiola’s piss, and you can rest assured his will be boiling after that.

Thought we did well in the first half and on the play, should have been more than the one up by half time.

They came back into it in patches, they were always going to, but they seemed to be trying to get it wide then long into the box for Haaland, instead of their usual working it to the line then cutting it back, and that suited us. De Bruyne didn’t look happy with it I thought but enough of them.

Salah looked up for it, and Thiago, Hendo and Fabinho played well and made them go to the flanks, stopping them playing it through the lines mostly.

As a pointer to the season it’s only likely to matter in that we’ve won the first match up against them, what will matter is how we do against them home and away in the league games and if we get more points than them with the six available, then it could be the difference to lifting the title or not.

• Upvote 3

On 28/07/2022 at 23:39, Creator Supreme said:

Jesse Plemons will fucking muller our defence, just like he did when he was at Salzburg!

On 29/07/2022 at 14:27, 3 Stacks said:

They're gonna style on us.

8 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

As long as "Horland" doesn't score a hat trick today I'll be happy. 

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

This will be a humiliation.

4 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Get your money on a Haaland hatrick with three identical goals.

I've been out drinking. What happened?

26 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

Any win against these is well worth it, just to boil Guardiola’s piss, and you can rest assured his will be boiling after that.

Thought we did well in the first half and on the play, should have been more than the one up by halftime.

They came back into it in patches, they were always going to, but they seemed to be trying to get it wide than long into the box for Haaland, instead of their usual working it to the line then cutting it back, and that suited us. De Bruyne didn’t look happy with it I thought but enough of them.

Salah looked up for it, and Thiago, Hendo, and Fabinho played well and made them go to the flanks, stopping them from playing it through the lines mostly.

As a pointer to the season it’s only likely to matter in that we’ve won the first match-up against them, what will matter is how we do against them home and away in the league games and if we get more points than them with the six available, then it could be the difference to lifting the title or not.

It's well known he is an overthinker, this will be playing havoc with his head tonight and probably for the next weeks, he will mention at least once in his pre-match conference next week the word Liverpool. we will be rent-free in that baldy bonce for weeks.

• Upvote 2

Haaland will score goals, but he doesn't fit their style of play at all, just like Grealish doesn't. You could see him on the shoulder of the last defender wanting a ball played through to him that didn't arrive. And that's only because we were playing high. Most teams they face will be playing a low block and he's a pretty big target to mark standing there waiting for the inevitable pull back.

10 minutes ago, waddy78 said:

It's well known he is an overthinker, this will be playing havoc with his head tonight and probably for the next weeks, he will mention at least once in his pre-match conference next week the word Liverpool. we will be rent-free in that baldy bonce for weeks.

Think Darwin will be living rent free in the centre backs and Rodri's heads for a while too.

People talk about good players making things happen. In 30 odd mins he got a pen, had a one on one with the keeper, could have had another pen (if his run was timed slightly better) and scored. Fantastic! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, A Red said:

When he took his shirt off my mrs just looked starry eyed and said "beautiful" Has she never fucking looked at me??

Yes, and that’s why she said beautiful?

My hot take is as thus.

I feel I can speak about Haaland in the same way I speak about Nunez, as both serve similar purposes in teams that are very similar in approach.

When you play with a floating, or false, 9 the chances created are more carefully orchestrated, the killer balls coming at the optimal moment. 

However, when you play with a classic 9, their choice of runs will rush the previously careful build-up, so those runs had better be damn good. 

Nunez was very good, and Haaland was decent too, but in the end the team with the better defence won. 

This title won't be won and lost on our head to heads.  City's gameplan today will be more than enough to beat the fodder of the division. Haaland eviscerated Robertson in the area to create a chance, he will do that against all teams, he's a physical freak. 

Nunez is more atuned to exploiting space, and that can be at a premium Vs the low blockers, which most are. 

Great result today, highly satisfying, and if we played City 38 times a season then we'd pick up more points.  But we don't.  

We still need more guile in midfield to create against packed defences, and I hope Elliott can light the way.  

1 hour ago, Mathewbet1 said:

They refused to pick up their looser medals and steamed down the tunnel, and see the payers storming the ref for the penalty. Classless club.

We really shouldn't give a fuck about their antics outside of the 90 mins, it's all factory default and smelly as fuck, we don't bathe in those waters.  

3 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Also don’t think Adrian was bad at all, as 3rd choice keepers go he’s pretty good id say. He gets a lot of stick but he’s done a lot of good stuff for us in his time here.

I think you can see that he's third choice for a reason, but he had very little to do today because we're fucking brilliant.

• Upvote 1

The Guardian going in hard on Haaland here! 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/jul/30/erling-haaland-looks-lost-to-remind-manchester-city-this-will-take-time

“There would have been no great gain in doing the things Haaland did here more energetically, in being ineffective with a greater intensity. By the end he had taken 16 touches, won zero headers, made no interceptions or dribbles, completed seven passes, and produced a willing but ultimately futile exercise in trapped energy, like an oversized fly bobbling its way down a window pane.”

“The sight of Haaland on the City team sheet was an instant adrenaline spike: all those vowels, the symmetry of the consonants. Even his name is a unit. With 11 minutes gone he had his first proper City touch, coming deep to take a throw-in and trapping the ball with all the deftness of a man trying to catch a tennis ball in a frying pan.“