You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (N) - Community Shield, Sat 30th Jul 2022 (5:00pm)

Trumo

1 minute ago, magicrat said:

We're the only team that genuinely think we can beat them . Most of them have accepted defeat before they step on the pitch. 

Bang on.

I think their last 2 wins against us were the 4-0 at Etihad in 2019/20 and then the 4-1 at Anfield the following season. The 4-0 was after Liverpool had been crowned Champions and still in party mode. The Anfield defeat was when we had a defensive crisis with the game played also in an empty stadium. 

8 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

For a team we apparently struggle against, that's 2 wins and 2 draws in the last 4 we've had against City.

I have never been unduly scared of City in the Klopp era. I reckon they hate playing us even more than perceived.

We need to give them a trimming in the home league fixture in October, though. It’s overdue and will mean a lot more than the three points. 

9 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Us and Spurs seem to be the only ones who aren't scared of them.

The way city play, they suffocate most teams with so much possession they will inevitably start to feel inferior.

I don't think teams are scared of City, they just simply can't compete with them.

19 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Yeah, good shout. I’ve actually developed a mild fondness for Spurs for not being absolute shithouses against them. 

Not sure if the stats will back me up, but Crystal Palace and Wolves have played with a bit of pride against them too from what I remember. 

Halaand is clearly going to bang a few in but that today summed up how superior Klopp is to Guardiola as a coach.

The city players still aren't looking for Halaand's runs. I know it's early days but still.  

Klopp has form, with Fabinho for instance, of shaping players into what he needs and he'll be far better at that with Nunez than Guardiola will be with Halannd. 

Even the way he shielded Nunez from the spotlight by not starting him was a good move.

Guardiola still sounds like an arsey cunt too, the summer hasn't changed anything, I'm sick of his fucking yap.

• Upvote 5

Good game to watch. Plenty of ebb and flow, but we generally looked the sharper of the two sides and were on top for the most part, so the scoreline looks about right.

Since all the pre-game talk was about the two sides' big centre forward signings, I thought both looked lively and certainly there was a slight difference about how the two teams are adapting their style to accommodate an out-and-out striker. Both could have scored a couple. Theirs didn't find the net but ours did.

Another Hendo shuffle, and while it's not a competitive trophy, it's always nice to win stuff.

Onto the proper stuff next week.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Yeah and that is why winning the league even a good as we have been has been so fucking hard and remains so.

Until more teams actually believe against them and stop curling up in a ball against them it will stay ridiculously hard.

37 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Apart from the Atletico tie, he’s generally played above his ability for us.

People shouldn’t get too exercised about the limitations of our third choice keeper.

Seems well liked among the other players too. 

I'm not slagging him a such.

He is shite though and that is why he is No.3 - but my point was people getting pissed off about his performance in a game that ultimately really does not matter anyway is a bit pointless especially when he is almost certainly irrelevant to our season.

For a charity shield so early on, we were fucking boss from the off. Of course City would have chances and all that, they are City, but that was boss. We deserved it by a golden mile and I can’t get some of the negativity, not once did I think it looked like we’d be beaten today. Fucking great. I might be drunk. No, I am. Enjoyed that, back at work next week. 

1 hour ago, J-V said:

Cunts didn't pick up their losers medals.  Sore twats.

They really are the most graceless top team there's been. They also can't do a guard of honour for the champions, video themselves singing mocking songs about other teams and STILL whine about their dented bus as if they were at the Alamo. They get away with way too much that other clubs would get attacked for.

21 minutes ago, an tha said:

I'm not slagging him a such.

He is shite though and that is why he is No.3 - but my point was people getting pissed off about his performance in a game that ultimately really does not matter anyway is a bit pointless especially when he is almost certainly irrelevant to our season.

Think I was more agreeing with you than disagreeing! He’s fine for a third choice keeper, limitations aside.