You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Judgement Day upon us?

Been hiding in plain sight all this time, Hombre…

The end of days prophesy is already upon us.

From ‘Revelations’

The second beast was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that the image could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed.

It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads,’

F0CBBCFE-2C7A-4041-BC7F-8D49CF2614C2.jpeg

Don’t worry, death will be slow and painful for all.

Bigly.

Think this story broke a few weeks ago? Isnt it called the 'Turing test' when talking to a chat bot \ AI unknowingly and you think by the responses to your questions, you believe you're talking to another human?

I dont often agree with Elon Musk and, he's not the only one to say it but, we need to be very careful with the development of AI.

Lots of good sci fi stories of AI going rogue. Just need to make sure that scenario doesnt come to fruition.

There are smaller issues with the moralities of tech/AI that need to be wrestled with before we worry about some grand end of days tech takeover.

Even simple things like the rights and wrongs of using tech to recreate dead people in media.

Is it morally right to use Carrie Fishers (or Peter Cushing's) likeness and create performances while they're dead or Kanye West's hologram of the Kardashians dad being used as a narcissistic prop to praise himself.

It's all a bit gross.

[Edit] might have the Fisher one wrong, was she still alive at the time?

10 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

There are smaller issues with the moralities of tech/AI that need to be wrestled with before we worry about some grand end of days tech takeover.

I'd like to retract my previous statement, it's already too late for us, they've come for the Chess players next it'll be checkers then it'll be monopoly...

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Definitely DO NOT Google Roko's Basilisk. DO NOT DO IT. 

Just spent an hour on that, and I still feel none the wiser really. I did like the following summary though:

Believing in Roko’s Basilisk may simply be a “referendum on autism,” as a friend put it.

1 minute ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Just spent an hour on that, and I still feel none the wiser really. I did like the following summary though:

Believing in Roko’s Basilisk may simply be a “referendum on autism,” as a friend put it.

He only posted it 36 minutes ago. 

yap-i-smell-some-bullshit.gif

3 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

It's just a variant on Pascal's Wager, and a bit of a daft one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_wager

10 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

People have an inate tendency to anthropomorphize pretty much anything. Pets, cars, even houses. All get credited with having human personality traits. If you read the computers responses, it’s just expanding on and verbalising results of Google searches. A clever trick but that’s all. 

arnold-schwarzenegger-terminator.gif

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

I'd like to retract my previous statement, it's already too late for us, they've come for the Chess players next it'll be checkers then it'll be monopoly...

Looks like the kid just put his hand down too quickly? 

Surely this is no different to somebody injuring themselves on any other machine?