You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: We have our squad and can focus on the season ahead 

TLW

Jurgen Klopp has all but closed the door on any more incoming players during the summer transfer window.

The Reds did their transfer dealing in a efficient fashion bringing in Darwin Nunez, Calvin Ramsey and Fabio Carvalho.

There has been a fair bit of speculation linking the club to a number of midfielders but it has come to nothing with the manager saying on a number of occasions he is more than happy with the contingent that he has in that part of the pitch.

And speaking to Sky Sports with the new season just a fortnight away, Klopp has confirmed that that is still the case.

“Unless we have injuries or player sales no, we have our squad. Hopefully, there won't be any so Liverpool supporters can focus on other things.

There has been discussion about who may be following Sadio Mane and Taki Minamino out the exit door but Klopp was keeping his cards very close to his chest in that regard.

“I don't talk about these things you know that. Look at the results, not the process - don't forget!"

However, the manager has been casting an eye on what Liverpool’s rivals have been doing in the summer transfer window and he says no matter how good you may be, it is important to freshen things up and keep the squad on their toes.

“It was clear before that Tottenham were going in the right direction last season with their signings. Man City haven't just brought in players, they've given two to Arsenal and one to Chelsea.

"We're in a similar situation where you can't always go with the same team. You need fresh blood and fresh legs. City are in a similar situation to us and we did it in a similar way. In the end, they will all have fantastic football players like we will. It's the question of who makes the most of it.”

image.png

Despite Liverpool making three finals and pushing Man City all the way until the final few minutes of the League season, Klopp takes nothing for granted in Football and he has set a modest goal to tick off first and foremost.

"The main target in this league first and foremost always is to qualify for the Champions League which is really difficult enough already.

“When you reach that, and then there's still time to compete for the title, you do that. When you've qualified for it four, five years in a row people may not appreciate that anymore but it will be a massive fight for the Champions League places.

"Everyone wants to win the Premier League but I have no idea who will make the race. We're looking to play the best possible season for us and we're really looking forward to it."

image.png

While everyone associated with the club would have loved to have had a clean sweep of silverware last season, you get a sense that Klopp does not have regrets or focus on what has occurred in the past.

"It ended how we liked it - it ended with a parade. We would've loved to celebrate even more. If there's anything good about losing is that there's always the next day.

"If you're smart enough, you can pick up information about your defeat in order to do better and that's the plan. There was obvious disappointment in losing but I was over it pretty quickly.

"The parade helped me massively and let's try it again. Nothing would be different had we won the league or the Champions League. I'd still be sat here wearing the same shirt and the same shorts. We'll try to use it and analyse it in the right way."

View full article

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

I still worry that we are short in midfield.

Not so much the attacking side as it looks like Elliott and Carvalho can/will play there.

I don't worry too much from an attacking perspective having seen Carvalho and Harvey but I do worry a bit defensively. That said, as bold as it may seem now, maybe they see someone like Bajcetic ready to provide cover for Fabinho. A bit like Elliott last season.

I don't really get why the Ox being fit/leaving would drive much. The lad barely played when we had loads of games and needed the squad. I half get from a wages point of view but even then with the number of departures we have had we could bring one in and still be at the same overall wage bill as last season you would think.

How do you replace Oxlade-Chamberlain? The club has tea ladies that offer more than he does. No point signing someone to replace him.

Edit:That seems disrespectful to tea ladies as they make cracking tea. But is that useful on a stormy night in Nottingham?

It was pretty obvious our business was done as far as new players coming in. Would have liked another midfielder but I do like they way we get the deals done quickly without months of "monitoring" and fucking about.  Utd have spent the whole window fannying around De Jong and dealing with daily speculation over 78 year old Cristiano Ronaldo who is looking for his umpteenth last move bonanza. 

Be interesting to see what happens with Baby's contract extension. Seemed imminent and now we are a few weeks on and there have been one or two rumours he isn't happy with the terms.

Expect that he will renew but if in a month's time a deal still hasn't been announced, wonder if the club will look to do something. 

Clearly if he doesn't want to budge they cannot do a lot though.

We have more than enough midfielders if you look at it purely from a numbers perspective....but it starts too look a lot thinner when you dig down.

Thiago - will inevitably miss at least a third of our games, maybe more.

Henderson and Fabinho - you'd expect will alongside Thiago make up the 'first choice 3' - both are prone to missing plenty of games.

So after those 3 we are looking at:

Keita - The arguments can and will rage about his quality.....his inability to stay fit and be available is of course well known.

Jones - hopefully this is season he really shows his potential....ultimately still unproven as being absolutely top level/what we need.

Milner - He'll turn 37 in January.

Elliott - Clearly highly rated...who knows what he might have done last season had he not been hit by that injury - but as it stands is still unproven.

Carvalho - Again highly rated, but as of yet unproven at this level.

Oxlade - Utterly pointless, a waste of squad space and wages.

So whilst numbers are high - there are a fair few issues - namely a fairly high amount of quite injury prone players and unproven players.

Now of course the injury prone players may all see improvements in their ability to stay fit - look at Matip last season as proof it can change.....and the kids may really kick on - but it just feels short to me, not quite enough, not quite right....

We have a boss squad - but for me midfield is the one area where we could and should be looking to improve....we would be nigh on perfect if we did. 

It is also about balance and like for like replacements - who else can do what Fabinho does when he is out and not see us become unbalanced or significantly weaker?...we have seen it when Henderson drops in there and plays with Keita how Henderson's ability to cover Trent is just lost - Keita can't do it....

I actually feel we may see us go with a 4-2-4 especially against all the dross more this season.

We were very unsettled in first half of season last season with our midfield, it was changing week to week and we just couldn't get our best 3 out for various reasons and we dropped more points than we did in second half of season when the best 3 were on the park a lot more .... hopefully we are a bit luckier at start and in first half of this season and a bit more settled in there.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, an tha said:

We have more than enough midfielders if you look at it purely from a numbers perspective....but it starts too look a lot thinner when you dig down.

Thiago - will inevitably miss at least a third of our games, maybe more.

Henderson and Fabinho - you'd expect will alongside Thiago make up the 'first choice 3' - both are prone to missing plenty of games.

So after those 3 we are looking at:

Keita - The arguments can and will rage about his quality.....his inability to stay fit and be available is of course well known.

Jones - hopefully this is season he really shows his potential....ultimately still unproven as being absolutely top level/what we need.

Milner - He'll turn 37 in January.

Elliott - Clearly highly rated...who knows what he might have done last season had he not been hit by that injury - but as it stands is still unproven.

Carvalho - Again highly rated, but as of yet unproven at this level.

Oxlade - Utterly pointless, a waste of squad space and wages.

So whilst numbers are high - there are a fair few issues - namely a fairly high amount of quite injury prone players and unproven players.

Now of course the injury prone players may all see improvements in their ability to stay fit - look at Matip last season as proof it can change.....and the kids may really kick on - but it just feels short to me, not quite enough, not quite right....

We have a boss squad - but for me midfield is the one area where we could and should be looking to improve....we would be nigh on perfect if we did. 

It is also about balance and like for like replacements - who else can do what Fabinho does when he is out and not see us become unbalanced or significantly weaker?...we have seen it when Henderson drops in there and plays with Keita how Henderson's ability to cover Trent is just lost - Keita can't do it....

I actually feel we may see us go with a 4-2-4 especially against all the dross more this season.

We were very unsettled in first half of season last season with our midfield, it was changing week to week and we just couldn't get our best 3 out for various reasons and we dropped more points than we did in second half of season when the best 3 were on the park a lot more .... hopefully we are a bit luckier at start and in first half of this season and a bit more settled in there.

Agree with all of that.

I am not sure we will buy anyone else but Jurgen has left the club plenty of leeway for us to still do that.

In the past, from memory, he has always been a bit more definitive saying we are done. 

Feels like there may be one or two situations that are possibly still a little fluid that could cause us to move. Do not recall Jürgen ever really saying we are done unless there are sales.

With the Ox injured he may not move on but maybe if they think Naby and the Ox won't sign new deals and there are interested parties, maybe they will  move on. There have been rumours around Ox and West Ham and Naby has been mentioned in a few swap deals. 

Probably ill informed idle transfer gossip,  possibly some truth in it. 

Wouldn't surprise me that much if either left or both left. Would expect Naby to be replaced, not so much the Ox.

Wouldn't be that surprised if Bobby went either. If all of them don't sign extensions that is a lot of money just going on free transfers. For a club that watches every penny cannot imagine they would be too keen to let that happen (if they can influence it).

14 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Agree with all of that.

I am not sure we will buy anyone else but Jurgen has left the club plenty of leeway for us to still do that.

In the past, from memory, he has always been a bit more definitive saying we are done. 

Feels like there may be one or two situations that are possibly still a little fluid that could cause us to move. Do not recall Jürgen ever really saying we are done unless there are sales.

With the Ox injured he may not move on but maybe if they think Naby and the Ox won't sign new deals and there are interested parties, maybe they will  move on. There have been rumours around Ox and West Ham and Naby has been mentioned in a few swap deals. 

Probably ill informed idle transfer gossip,  possibly some truth in it. 

Wouldn't surprise me that much if either left or both left. Would expect Naby to be replaced, not so much the Ox.

Wouldn't be that surprised if Bobby went either. If all of them don't sign extensions that is a lot of money just going on free transfers. For a club that watches every penny cannot imagine they would be too keen to let that happen (if they can influence it).

For my money - we won't see any more ins now until next summer....maybe if they can get the right player in Jan that might change, but i honestly can't see us buying anyone now. I've thought we were done in this window after Nunez was done.

In a lot of ways it is a good thing - a good pre season with everyone in (who is fit) for all of it, time to bed in and hopefully hit ground running - no scratching around bringing players in late and trying to get them settled/up to speed.

I think Carvalho is going to get games in a midfield three, and while he isn't like for like I think he will give us some of the creativity we lose when thiago isn't on the pitch in the left of the three

54 minutes ago, an tha said:

For my money - we won't see any more ins now until next summer....maybe if they can get the right player in Jan that might change, but i honestly can't see us buying anyone now. I've thought we were done in this window after Nunez was done.

In a lot of ways it is a good thing - a good pre season with everyone in (who is fit) for all of it, time to bed in and hopefully hit ground running - no scratching around bringing players in late and trying to get them settled/up to speed.

I think you may well be right.

What would be interesting is if we receive bids for any of the 3 in the next few weeks. Clearly the player would have to be up for the move but that would really test how highly they really value them.

1 hour ago, HBenn said:

I think you may well be right.

What would be interesting is if we receive bids for any of the 3 in the next few weeks. Clearly the player would have to be up for the move but that would really test how highly they really value them.

I think if we got lucky enough that any club was stupid enough to make an attractive bid for Oxlade then we would sell - but i still don't think that would lead to us going out and buying someone - unless all the stars aligned and a player we really had on our list was possible.

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

I think if we got lucky enough that any club was stupid enough to make an attractive bid for Oxlade then we would sell - but i still don't think that would lead to us going out and buying someone - unless all the stars aligned and a player we really had on our list was possible.

I agree, I dont think Ox going would likely have any impact at all.

A bid for Naby or Bobby or both maybe interesting. If they don't sign extensions then you would think the club may well entertain offers. To be honest, I am not sure unless we are confident they will sign extensions why we aren't expecting offers. 

If they are both good enough to be in or around our team, both not ancient and both only have a year left, surely someone is looking at them.

21 minutes ago, HBenn said:

I agree, I dont think Ox going would likely have any impact at all.

A bid for Naby or Bobby or both maybe interesting. If they don't sign extensions then you would think the club may well entertain offers. To be honest, I am not sure unless we are confident they will sign extensions why we aren't expecting offers. 

If they are both good enough to be in or around our team, both not ancient and both only have a year left, surely someone is looking at them.

I'd be very, very surprised if Keita or Firmino were sold now.

I don't think the Premier League, bald fuck at city included, realise what an impact having five subs will have for someone like Klopp. They're wanking over Haaland  and we've got Bobby, Salah, Nunez, Diaz, Carvalho and Jotta and could realistically play all six of them during a 90 minutes with subs to spare. 

Live scenes from Klopp's office before matchday.