You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

David Moores has died

JohnnyH

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/lfc-deeply-saddened-passing-david-moores

Liverpool FC is deeply saddened by the passing of former chairman and owner David Moores.

Moores served as chairman for 16 years from 1991 and became honorary life president after selling his majority stake in the club in 2007. 

He died at the age of 76 on Friday morning, just weeks after his beloved wife of 39 years, Marge, passed away.

While his uncle Sir John Moores - founder of the Littlewoods retail empire - twice served as chairman of Everton FC in the 1960s and ’70s, David was an ardent Liverpudlian.

The Moores family held a majority stake in Liverpool FC for more than half a century and David took over at the club he loved in September 1991. 

Alongside trusted chief executive Rick Parry, he presided over Liverpool’s entry into the newly founded Premier League in 1992 and oversaw the managerial appointments of Roy Evans, Gerard Houllier and Rafael Benitez during his time at Anfield. 

David - who habitually shunned publicity, preferring instead to operate in the background - saw the Reds win 10 major honours throughout his 16-year tenure, including, of course, the Champions League in 2005.

However, the rapid financial growth seen in English football in the early 2000s led David to conclude that Liverpool required external investment in order to compete with their rivals. 

He eventually left the boardroom in 2007 but, as a lifelong fan, his passion and support for the club remained throughout the rest of his life.

David returned to Anfield for the first time in a decade to watch Jürgen Klopp’s side beat Everton 5-2 in December 2019.

The thoughts of everyone at Liverpool FC are with David’s family and friends at this difficult time.

RIP David Moores, 1946-2022

2 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Awful news.

I knew I shouldn’t have went Into the clubs comments on twitter when they announced this. 

FFS, really? Can’t even let him die without slagging him off. I had problems with the deal but he loved the club, no doubt about that. Mistakes are to be forgiven, malice is not. Twitter cunts are cunts. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

FFS, really? Can’t even let him die without slagging him off. I had problems with the deal but he loved the club, no doubt about that. Mistakes are to be forgiven, malice is not. Twitter cunts are cunts. 

That's shit. I think he genuinely did believe that he was selling for the right reasons. Just that he was incredibly naive. I don't know many reds who hated him. Even when a supporters group confronted him at his home once he came out to talk to them rather than hiding away.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Shitebags asking the club to announce signings… 

Any decent red will know how much he did for club and how much he loved it.

Any decent red will have the dignity and class to not drag up any mistakes he made right now and just respect the man and his contribution to our club.

Anyone who does not frankly does not matter.

RIP

• Upvote 8

1 minute ago, Harry Squatter said:

I think he genuinely did believe that he was selling for the right reasons. Just that he was incredibly naive. 

That’s what I believe as well he seemed genuinely upset he made a mistake on who he sold too. 

50 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

YNWA. Tragic for the family to lose mum and dad in such a short space of time.

I actually think it's a blessing, not nice to watch your mother or father grieving helplessly. 

RIP David Moores

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Ah, okay. He used to get LOADS of grief off fans for selling to the yanks. I assumed it was more of that. I disagreed with his sale but he got lots of hate, I assumed it was that. 

Most of the twitter fanbase probably don't even know who Hicks and Gillett are.

• Upvote 1