You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dont Pay, Energy bills mass action?

dockers_strike

I'm not sure it's a sensible idea to just stop stop paying for your energy, even if you keep the money to pay it later it will have some unwanted side effects.

Something has to be done though. We already have a heat or eat situation for some people and many more will be affected come October, me among them.

People will die because of this or end up with debts they have no hope of paying.

So what's the answer?.General strike?, I have no idea but something's got to give, otherwise as I've said before there will be civil unrest and riots and nobody in their right mind wants that.

One thing I do know is the utilities should never have been privatised. Profits should go on improvements to the network, not in shareholders pockets. 

Some people will disagree with me but I don't give a fuck.

I'm right.

9 minutes ago, A Red said:

No I didn't, but I have now. It only mentions direct debits not prepayments, so no-one is suggesting not topping up cards. Good.

But the loss of jobs, credit ratings going tits up, potential increase in tax and general stress still convinces me its a stupid idea. 

Again, I think the point is being missed here.

The point of the exercise is not to get out of paying bills or to bankrupt any companies but rather to get enough signatures in the coming weeks to put the shits up the powers that be in order that they do something before this crisis deepens in the Autumn.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Mook said:

Have you tried reading the link?

It's just that you've said you think it's a stupid idea yet you don't seem to have read the details (& you're not alone).

I have, otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to quote it.

It’s still a stupid idea. 

Is it true we give the go ahead for a nuclear power plant to EDF who the French have decided to renationalise so its another thing alongside side other energy or public travel that we pay towards a foreign nation who use it to subsidise their own peoples bills and then we are left with the clear up. Can we do anything in this country, have we really lost all our skills and knowledge to do anything.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

One thing I do know is the utilities should never have been privatised. Profits should go on improvements to the network, not in shareholders pockets. 

Some people will disagree with me but I don't give a fuck.

I'm right.

My inner tory likes the idea of privatisation and has a complete distrust of any government to be able to run anything efficiently. My inner leftie hates the idea of individuals profiting hugely from something as basic as electric, gas or water.

Utilities is not something I know a lot about but it seems to me that the answer (for me) would be to keep them privatised but look at the contracts in place to try to make sure the necessary investments are maximised and prices/profits minimised.

Dunno really

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Is it true we give the go ahead for a nuclear power plant to EDF who the French have decided to renationalise so its another thing alongside side other energy or public travel that we pay towards a foreign nation who use it to subsidise their own peoples bills and then we are left with the clear up. Can we do anything in this country, have we really lost all our skills and knowledge to do anything.

We should be building as many nuclear power stations as we can to supplement renewables.  But planning takes fucking years.  And years. And years. 

6 minutes ago, Mook said:

Again, I think the point is being missed here.

The point of the exercise is not to get out of paying bills or to bankrupt any companies but rather to get enough signatures in the coming weeks to put the shits up the powers that be in order that they do something before this crisis deepens in the Autumn.

I understand what the point of it is, of course its not to get out of bills or bankrupting companies. I'm not going to sign something that could end up doing exactly that. 

I want lower bills, this just isn't the way to do it. I'm not saying I know what is.

7 minutes ago, A Red said:

I understand what the point of it is, of course its not to get out of bills or bankrupting companies. I'm not going to sign something that could end up doing exactly that. 

I want lower bills, this just isn't the way to do it. I'm not saying I know what is.

Clearly it's not ideal but then neither is a load of people dying or going into poverty in the winter due to this situation. Something has to be done & fast.

1 minute ago, Mook said:

Clearly it's not ideal but then neither is a load of people dying or going into poverty in the winter due to this situation. Something has to be done & fast.

We agree on that just but disagree on this particular tactic

4 hours ago, Mook said:

A ridiculous comparison.

Food hasn't trebled in price over the course of a few months & nobody is asking for their power for free, only that measures are put in place to keep the prices down.

Absolutely spot on.

3 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Whilst the rest of the public transport infrastructure in this country is on it's knees, HS2 is, was, and always will be a vanity project!

Cutting journey times from Birmingham to London by 20 or so minutes should not be the primary driver in infrastructure decisions!

Totally agree with you, CS!

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Ha, a 50 year old man acting like a 23 year old troll, sat in a bedroom getting a hard on throwing 'negs' around to hide the fact he's really a 50 year old incel and frustrated with his life. And he's an energy company shill.

Just out of interest why 23 yr old?  

This is a stupid idea, really stupid. It won’t impact on price of energy at all, it won’t force the government to do anything, what it could do is drive a couple of businesses under, wreck gullible people’s credit rating, and lead  to a few having their energy supply cut off. If businesses do go under that will drive billions of pounds of costs into the remaining suppliers and make thousands of people unemployed.  Other than that it’s fucking genius.  

The whole don't pay could only work is millions signed up for it - sadly that's never going to happen.

What needs to happen is that the whole power generating infrastructure needs to come back into public ownership - it'll take years to fix the shit we're in now and as bad as the public sector can be, it's the best to do this compared to the private sector and their only objective being profit.

The only way Rico will change his opinion on this is if all the people running the power network are transgenders.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

This is a stupid idea, really stupid. It won’t impact on price of energy at all, it won’t force the government to do anything, what it could do is drive a couple of businesses under, wreck gullible people’s credit rating, and lead  to a few having their energy supply cut off. If businesses do go under that will drive billions of pounds of costs into the remaining suppliers and make thousands of people unemployed.  Other than that it’s fucking genius.  

Here's the rub.

7 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

The whole don't pay could only work is millions signed up for it - sadly that's never going to happen.

What needs to happen is that the whole power generating infrastructure needs to come back into public ownership - it'll take years to fix the shit we're in now and as bad as the public sector can be, it's the best to do this compared to the private sector and their only objective being profit.

The only way Rico will change his opinion on this is if all the people running the power network are transgenders.

I can see some value in generation being in government hands, but how good are governments at raising capital and managing massive infrastructure projects?  Not just one, but hundreds?  

The website quote that I posted earlier on shows that the sector is in a bad way.  All the value was driven out of it by dodgy fuckers given free reign by a shite regulator. But no one was moaning when bills were artificially low (well I was, but I always moan). 

People like DS telling people how he’s sticking to Octopus because he’s not changing his DD and will pay any deficit is a terrible message unless like him you are a rich pensioner.   He can afford a balloon payment at the end, if you can’t then spreading your annual consumption over 12 months is sense.  

Finally it’s a tough message but use less energy.  We ALL waste it, heating on too high, lights left on, hair straighteners and kettles used all the time.  

14 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I thought 23 was synonymous with your i.q.?

Is it a stupid idea? I dont know, may be an indication of my view on it was in the first post saying would it work? But no, you being the shill that you are, just fall over yourself to come across as a massive whopper. 50 year old and you act like a hot headed intemperate youth. It's so funny your faux outrage.

But apparently loads didnt pay the poll tax and engaged in civil unrest to get the Government of the day to do something about it and replace it eventually with council tax.

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I can see some value in generation being in government hands, but how good are governments at raising capital and managing massive infrastructure projects?  Not just one, but hundreds?  

The website quote that I posted earlier on shows that the sector is in a bad way.  All the value was driven out of it by dodgy fuckers given free reign by a shite regulator. But no one was moaning when bills were artificially low (well I was, but I always moan). 

People like DS telling people how he’s sticking to Octopus because he’s not changing his DD and will pay any deficit is a terrible message unless like him you are a rich pensioner.   He can afford a balloon payment at the end, if you can’t then spreading your annual consumption over 12 months is sense.  

Finally it’s a tough message but use less energy.  We ALL waste it, heating on too high, lights left on, hair straighteners and kettles used all the time.  

Oh dear. You've no idea and you havent even got the story correct. 'Balloon payments'? 'Rich pensioner'?

You're one twisted 50 year old mother fucker, I'll give you that! Do you want to 'neg' me again so you can get another hard on? Two in one day, bet you've never had that for a long time!

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

I thought 23 was synonymous with your i.q.?

Is it a stupid idea? I dont know, may be an indication of my view on it was in the first post saying would it work? But no, you being the shill that you are, just fall over yourself to come across as a massive whopper. 50 year old and you act like a hot headed intemperate youth. It's so funny your faux outrage.

But apparently loads didnt pay the poll tax and engaged in civil unrest to get the Government of the day to do something about it and replace it eventually with council tax.

Jesus you are the most boring man I’ve ever fucking encountered. Honestly - you’d talk a glass eye to sleep.  Remember when you did work and it’d go quiet when you went in a room?  

I said it’s a stupid idea and dangerous.  Probably thought up by some middle class sixth form dimwit who didn’t think through the very obvious consequences.  The website even fucking says something like ‘we don’t have to do it, we'll just threaten it and they’ll cave’ what? Mental. 

The poll tax was changed to win an election as it was obvious thatcher wouldn’t win. You were around then weren’t you? Oh, and VAT went up to offset it.  People not paying a local government tax wouldn’t bother the Tories until it impacted a general election.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Oh dear. You've no idea and you havent even got the story correct. 'Balloon payments'? 'Rich pensioner'?

You're one twisted 50 year old mother fucker, I'll give you that! Do you want to 'neg' me again so you can get another hard on? Two in one day, bet you've never had that for a long time!

Fucking hell - your tedious stories lead me to believe you’re well off.  New cars every year, senior jobs in whatever it was you were doing before you retired, the financial advisor, in fact I even think you said you can afford to pay the balance! I can only know this stuff because you tell us!!!

Just now, Rico1304 said:

Jesus you are the most boring man I’ve ever fucking encountered. Honestly - you’d talk a glass eye to sleep.  Remember when you did work and it’d go quiet when you went in a room?  

I said it’s a stupid idea and dangerous.  Probably thought up by some middle class sixth form dimwit who didn’t think through the very obvious consequences.  The website even fucking says something like ‘we don’t have to do it, we'll just threaten it and they’ll cave’ what? Mental. 

The poll tax was changed to win an election as it was obvious thatcher wouldn’t win. You were around then weren’t you? Oh, and VAT went up to offset it.  People not paying a local government tax wouldn’t bother the Tories until it impacted a general election.  

Er, you're the one who keeps engaging with me.

Boring? I might be some of the time, in fact I know I am. But, Im not a complete and utter motherfucker shill who twists what others have posted to make themselves look like some sort of cock of the GF.

Your faux outrage is a thing of beauty. I can see it comes naturally to you.

• Downvote 1