You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barcelona Setting Fire to Their Future

Ne Moe Imya

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

But they'll sell the shite or they'll have the players sit in the stands till January. No way at this point they'll sell the 2 you mention. 

Don't they have the problem that clubs don't want them though?

One other thing, aren't all those players they have signed got WC ambitions? Not sure how happy they will to not play football for 4 months and potentially jeopardise their chances (I know they took this risk in signing).

As this is all a bit bizarre, does anyone know what happens if they don't register their new signings by the 8th? Can they just register them when they raise the cash or can they not play until Jan at the earliest?

Just now, HBenn said:

One other thing, aren't all those players they have signed got WC ambitions? Not sure how happy they will to not play football for 4 months and potentially jeopardise their chances (I know they took this risk in signing).

As this is all a bit bizarre, does anyone know what happens if they don't register their new signings by the 8th? Can they just register them when they raise the cash or can they not play until Jan at the earliest?

They'd be out till January

They'll probably just sell another 10-15% of future income 

1 minute ago, HBenn said:

Dunno about the bit at the end. 

As for the ambitions of the players with world cups etc, well they're not exactly right thinking signing there in the first place, it's clearly a shit show where anything can happen. Laporte must have give some good guarantees about them getting registered you'd have thought. 

They're Barcelona, I think one way or another they'll find a way to get their own way like the big 2 in Spain always do. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Dunno about the bit at the end. 

As for the ambitions of the players with world cups etc, well they're not exactly right thinking signing there in the first place, it's clearly a shit show where anything can happen. Laporte must have give some good guarantees about them getting registered you'd have thought. 

They're Barcelona, I think one way or another they'll find a way to get their own way like the big 2 in Spain always do. 

Last year wasn't as bad though right? They had like Aguero and one other but this is like 5 players. Harder to make up a reason to let them.

That said, I expect you are right and they will still come up with some crap reason. None of the other clubs will bring a legal challenge as a weak Barca doesn't help them unfortunately. 

Will make for a semi interesting few days if they need to be registered by the 8th. 

12 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Wage bill gone up. Typical Barca. No doubt they will try and shame La Liga into accepting them as they are "killing the product" and tell the current players to be reasonable and compromise.

If that didn't work and allow them to keep Messi, I can't see it working now.

5 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Last year wasn't as bad though right? They had like Aguero and one other but this is like 5 players. Harder to make up a reason to let them.

That said, I expect you are right and they will still come up with some crap reason. None of the other clubs will bring a legal challenge as a weak Barca doesn't help them unfortunately. 

Will make for a semi interesting few days if they need to be registered by the 8th. 

What's significant about 8th? 

6 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

They are defo banking on the super league getting the go ahead from the courts

Think you maybe right.

Not sure even if that wins though whether it will mean the project gets off the ground.

Part of me think that the other clubs are letting Juve, Barca and RM do the donkey work before jumping on a reformed super League and then arguing that they "couldn't afford not to do it".

However I don't know as all of it isn't really just good leverage for the clubs to get UEFA to bend to their wants. If it screws Barca over in the meantime them I would imagine a lot of the big clubs wouldn't mind that.

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

If the English ubs hold out of tbe super league it's dead in the water anyway. Only way I think they'll be able to join is to leave English football as I think the backlash here would be immense. 

I think you're right. But why haven't the English clubs left the ESL yet? There's something weird about the whole fucking thing. 

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

But surely the transfer window runs till the end of the month? So what if they bought someone on August 20th? 

Sorry, I got that wrong. The tweet said they have 8 days to raise the cash before the season starts. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

If the English ubs hold out of tbe super league it's dead in the water anyway. Only way I think they'll be able to join is to leave English football as I think the backlash here would be immense. 

Well none of it made much sense the 1st time round really did it?

They had a league that would start in a few months time but didn't know who all the teams were (or how they would qualify) and then very quickly backed out inspite of incurring Supposed huge penalties for doing so.

I maybe cynical but having experienced H&G I don't think billionaires back out of decisions that will cost them hundreds of millions due to a bit of fan unrest.

Wasn't their a UEFA reform meeting planned for the day after it was all announced? It just felt like a powerplay between all the big clubs to leverage UEFA. 

All that said, if that were the case, I don't know why Juve, Barca and RM have carried on this far with it. Maybe they want more from UEFA? 

The way we have written it into our articles of association means that we will never do it in the guise it was under but who knows what the motives of some of these other huge clubs are.

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

In a presidential model, where popularity always wins out, is a mandate to put the club on a sound financial footing in exchange for a few years of not challenging  ever going to win out against a mandate of 'we'll sign all the players'?

Font ran on a far more conservative manifesto's than Laporta and was trounced in the election.

My point was that it'd be crazy for a president to serve for 4 years but make a decision that binds the club for 25 years. 

16 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

My point was that it'd be crazy for a president to serve for 4 years but make a decision that binds the club for 25 years. 

Sorry I misread what you were saying, the members voted in favour of activating the various levers and selling off parts of it's business based on Laporta's proposal.

All goes back to my other post though, the proposal was that they vote in favour and make lots of splashy signings which is probably why it got the backing. If the proposal was they'd use the money to pay off a large chunk of debt it probably would have been rejected.

I struggle to see anyway in which all of this stuff isn't a bad idea financially unless the super league thing comes off.

Unless the deals they've made for the TV rights specify a fixed number based on the current deal rather than a general percentage then they need over 33% increase in tv rights just to get back to their current TV income. 

Even if their theory of better players = win things = more money that's a huge amount of increase required just to maintain their current position. And their current position is a complete fucking mess. 

"We're in trouble because we've been spending too much money on wages and transfers, let's sell our future tv revenue so we can continue spending too much money on wages and transfers but have less money coming in"

1 hour ago, Chairman Meow said:

I struggle to see anyway in which all of this stuff isn't a bad idea financially unless the super league thing comes off.

Unless the deals they've made for the TV rights specify a fixed number based on the current deal rather than a general percentage then they need over 33% increase in tv rights just to get back to their current TV income. 

Even if their theory of better players = win things = more money that's a huge amount of increase required just to maintain their current position. And their current position is a complete fucking mess. 

"We're in trouble because we've been spending too much money on wages and transfers, let's sell our future tv revenue so we can continue spending too much money on wages and transfers but have less money coming in"

Perhaps they hope to move to the old model where they and Madrid keep nearly all the TV money? Although of course that doesn't really help them as Madrid's would increase too and they've not given 25% of theirs away. It makes you wonder if the deals are bound to certain competitions and they hope those competitions no longer exist and we be replaced by something new. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Perhaps they hope to move to the old model where they and Madrid keep nearly all the TV money? Although of course that doesn't really help them as Madrid's would increase too and they've not given 25% of theirs away. It makes you wonder if the deals are bound to certain competitions and they hope those competitions no longer exist and we be replaced by something new. 

You may be onto something there. Barca are snide enough to do that as well. Mind you, you would think that any professional outfit doing anything with them at the moment would crawl over every letter of a proposed contract.

38 minutes ago, HBenn said:

You may be onto something there. Barca are snide enough to do that as well. Mind you, you would think that any professional outfit doing anything with them at the moment would crawl over every letter of a proposed contract.

You're probably right, but people make stupid decision around sport (maybe all business) all the time, especially when they feel time driven, which I assume these Barcelona deals where.