You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barcelona Setting Fire to Their Future

Ne Moe Imya

32 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Shorter video version of that novel above.

'A lot of countries undertake this type of spending' erm... Adam do Barcelona have a Central bank they can make new money/print currency from?

This really does sound like a Leeds situation and I find it a bit odd that as a journalist there doesn't seem to be much recognition of that.

Apparently according to an article in the Echo, Futbol Total claim Barcelona want to target Trent, for £67m, in 2023.

What a fucking laugh. I dont know whether that really comes from Barcelona or Futbol Total. The feeling I get from Barcelona is they seem to think they are 'back' and can start throwing cash about because covid was a one off impact on their finances. They seem to think they can just identify players and throw cash around again.

Im pretty sure even Ward would just laugh if they did offer £67m for Trent but really, I just smell bullshit.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/barcelona-trent-alexander-arnold-liverpool-24666519

Mental club. They can't tolerate short-term failure to focus on building towards the future. The logical thing to do would have been to sell of most of their high earners after Messi left and just use their excellent academy players along with a few other freebies. They probably still would be able to finish in the top 4 and get into the Champions League. Do that for a few seasons and help lower the debt before spending silly money again. But no, these clowns want to spend money they don't already have. Barca have always been a financially dodgy club, even back in the 90s their president Nunez was spending silly money when the club wasn't profitable. Fuck 'em. Hope they go under.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Apparently according to an article in the Echo, Futbol Total claim Barcelona want to target Trent, for £67m, in 2023.

Can't say I blame them, if I were them I'd want Trent for £67m. Trent, however, might think twice about leaving his hometown club where he is adored and has one of the best teams in the world, and going to a club in a dire situation on and off the pitch. Liverpool might also think twice about selling the best attacking right back in football with more assists last season than some fuckin' teams. 

Other than that, an absolute winner. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

What a fucking laugh. I dont know whether that really comes from Barcelona or Futbol Total. The feeling I get from Barcelona is they seem to think they are 'back' and can start throwing cash about because covid was a one off impact on their finances. They seem to think they can just identify players and throw cash around again.

Im pretty sure even Ward would just laugh if they did offer £67m for Trent but really, I just smell bullshit.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/barcelona-trent-alexander-arnold-liverpool-24666519

Just when you might feel the slightest bit of sympathy for their plight, there they go again. Cheeky fucking arrogant twats.

32 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Mental club. They can't tolerate short-term failure to focus on building towards the future. The logical thing to do would have been to sell of most of their high earners after Messi left and just use their excellent academy players along with a few other freebies. They probably still would be able to finish in the top 4 and get into the Champions League. Do that for a few seasons and help lower the debt before spending silly money again. But no, these clowns want to spend money they don't already have. Barca have always been a financially dodgy club, even back in the 90s their president Nunez was spending silly money when the club wasn't profitable. Fuck 'em. Hope they go under.

For all the players they are buying and trying to buy, their net spend could well end up being less than £50m. Which is roughly the difference between finishing 4th/qualifying for CL and finishing 2nd/qualifying for CL. 

If they take the more cautious route and don't spend anything they would have probably lost 1 or 2 of their academy players which would have set them back hugely.

So we have City,Chelsea,Barca and lowly Everton ripping up the financial 'regulations' that are supposed to govern professional European football clubs. I think a European Super League should be set up but without cheating cunts like these and Real and let's enjoy something close to an even keel.

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

So we have City,Chelsea,Barca and lowly Everton ripping up the financial 'regulations' that are supposed to govern professional European football clubs. I think a European Super League should be set up but without cheating cunts like these and Real and let's enjoy something close to an even keel.

The whole self interest around football is stomach churning at times. We can look back at the relegation threatened null and void brigade in the pandemic, who were quick to be self righteous about super league. The super league it's self. Fuck me. And you have to question the sanity of all of the owners who were involved when they wanted Perez and agnelli to be at the front of it all. Then we see the distain uefa show fans at both the major European finals this year and their reaction of blaming everyone but themselves. And this is all before any discussion about abhorrent nation states using the game to clean their image. 

Football is proper fucked. 

• Upvote 2

On 04/08/2022 at 15:19, Carra_is_legend said:

For all the players they are buying and trying to buy, their net spend could well end up being less than £50m. Which is roughly the difference between finishing 4th/qualifying for CL and finishing 2nd/qualifying for CL. 

If they take the more cautious route and don't spend anything they would have probably lost 1 or 2 of their academy players which would have set them back hugely.

The other side of it is by doing what they are doing every club dealing with them you would expect will ask for a significant proportion of the money upfront. 

You would expect the players to ask for a huge signing on fee to mitigate the risk they don't get paid as well.

On 23/07/2022 at 12:39, dockers_strike said:

I guess this is one downside of fan ownership.

The fans vote for the president who promises the 'good times' by spending more money than the last guy or, at least more wisely.

But that just drove them to all intents and purposes into bankruptcy.

But the fans still want the club to compete with Real who are in a similar position but propped up by the Spanish Government and buy the best players.

Then they have to go on a fire sale selling future income to try and shore up the financial position. It's utter madness.

Who sold the TV rights?  The fans or Laporta?

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

If they are as fucked as reports suggest we should just throw a big bid in for Pedri or Gavi

They're not that fucked though are they (at this exact moment in time anyway). Selling the TV rights and Spotify paying up front for the sponsorship deal has bought them breathing space. Down the line, fuck knows how they're going to finance stuff as there'll be no cashflow from shirt sponsorship and 25% of the TV money will go to sixth st etc. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

They're not that fucked though are they (at this exact moment in time anyway). Selling the TV rights and Spotify paying up front for the sponsorship deal has bought them breathing space. Down the line, fuck knows how they're going to finance stuff as there'll be no cashflow from shirt sponsorship and 25% of the TV money will go to sixth st etc. 

La Liga have rejected them registering the new players as they don't meet the financial regulations. Until they sell they can't register new players. They might have cash in the bank,but they don't meet the la liga financial rules and need to sell 

55 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Who sold the TV rights?  The fans or Laporta?

In a presidential model, where popularity always wins out, is a mandate to put the club on a sound financial footing in exchange for a few years of not challenging  ever going to win out against a mandate of 'we'll sign all the players'?

Font ran on a far more conservative manifesto's than Laporta and was trounced in the election.

26 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

La Liga have rejected them registering the new players as they don't meet the financial regulations. Until they sell they can't register new players. They might have cash in the bank,but they don't meet the la liga financial rules and need to sell 

But they'll sell the shite or they'll have the players sit in the stands till January. No way at this point they'll sell the 2 you mention. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

But they'll sell the shite or they'll have the players sit in the stands till January. No way at this point they'll sell the 2 you mention. 

Certainly not Pedri as he's signed his deal.

Still clinging to a faint, faint, glimmer that Gavi's representatives will get fed up of Romano's 'soon' tweets and demand a move.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Probably not

The problem is the shite they are trying to move like Braithwaite and Umtiti are refusing to move until the pay up the money owed. 

Gavi new deal has not gone through the books either,meaning he only has 12 months on the deal

28 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I read in the Athletic last week that if De Jong doesn't go then they will have to do something more drastic.

Whether they will be able to cash in on Boehly's desire to make a good impression with the fans or Utds desperation not to lose out on a big target to Chelsea, but you do wonder whether either should be rushing in when Barca are desperate to do a deal. 

I am interested to see what happens with Gavi over the next few days. Supposedly they couldn't do a deal with him until his 18th birthday (today). I kinda expected that they would announce it today. 

Just now, HBenn said:

I read in the Athletic last week that if De Jong doesn't go then they will have to do something more drastic.

Whether they will be able to cash in on Boehly's desire to make a good impression with the fans or Utds desperation not to lose out on a big target to Chelsea, but you do wonder whether either should be rushing in when Barca are desperate to do a deal. 

I am interested to see what happens with Gavi over the next few days. Supposedly they couldn't do a deal with him until his 18th birthday (today). I kinda expected that they would announce it today. 

I'm sure selling de Jong is their preferred outcome. And it seems certain he will go somewhere. I guess the 17m they owe him puts some type of spanner in the works - not necessarily because it needs to go out the door, but if they pay him his wages owed, that's 17m of this year's budget spent already. But I feel certain they're not in Leeds fire sale territory yet. Using the Leeds analogy, it feels they're in Ferdinand territory in 2002, not sell the fucking lot in 2003 & 2004.