You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jones: I have a point to prove this season  

TLW

Curtis Jones is fit and extremely motivated to be a key part of Jurgen Klopp’s midfield rotation for the upcoming season.

The 21 year-old had a frustrating 2021/22 season where he showed flashes of his natural talent, but could not really get any momentum going due to a serious eye injury which saw him miss two months of action as well as a bout of bout of Covid.

In all Jones made 27 appearances, 15 of which came in the Premier League and with pre-season action beginning in earnest for the Reds this week with two fixtures in Asia, the England U-21 international told the Official site that his main aim is to make a strong impression that will put him firmly in the plans of the manager.

“I see that every time that I'm here or [with] any chance that I get. So game after game or season after season is big. 

"I'm ready now and I do think I have a bit of a point to prove.

image.png

"[Last season] was up and down. There were games when I played and played well, got a couple of goals and a couple of assists. Of course, I want to add to that. 

"But then I was injured with the eye for five-and-a-half weeks and then I came back and got COVID and then picked up a smaller knock as well.”

“It was up and down but now I'm ready."

Being a unused substitute on FA Cup final day and missing out altogether for the League Cup triumph has Jones hungry in the quest of more honours in his own right.

“Since I've been around the team, I've always been in semi-finals, finals and winning things, and last season we were in all four – it's perfect, I'd like that again. 

"And on a personal note, to go in the team, take my chance, keep my place in the team and, of course, score and assist more goals.”

image.png

The addition of the versatile Fabio Carvalho brings more depth to the squad and Jones sees this only as a positive.

"It's competition in midfield but I don't see it as that. I see him more as a teammate – kind of I help him and he helps me and then Hendo helps us or Thiago helps us. 

"It's competition in terms of a space but at the same time, it's like a friendly thing. There's no sort of, 'Ah, he's playing and I'm not and then I need to completely push him out of the way.' 

"It is that a little bit, of course, because you want to go out there and go and play, but I think the competition is alright and it's just a teammate thing."

View full article

He's a very interesting player. Last season just about everything he did, or tried to do, needed more precision and urgency, but his potential is big. Hopefully he works on his shooting a lot this time around, but at his best he brings a really good option to the midfield.

1 hour ago, Carra_is_legend said:

I hope he really kicks on this season along with Elliott who started last season on fire before that injury.

They have to kick on unless they fancy loan spells at Forest.  Make or break season for the pair of them imo

53 minutes ago, Ron B said:

“I do think I have a bit of a point to prove” is hardly him giving it the Billy Big Bollocks. 

I don't think he's trying to be Billy Big Bollocks, it just never really works out when players make these type of comments.

On 12/07/2022 at 06:48, VladimirIlyich said:

He'll be steamin' and a rollin' his way back into contention this season.

I read this in a Quint off of Jaws voice.

He's highly capable and has good games but needs more urgency and to release the ball quicker. Feels like he slows our game down too much. Probably bollocks, but I can never tell if it's just the way he moves that makes it looks like he's being too laid back and not intense enough.

Jones has an additional problem that, being a local lad, he’ll possibly have to impress that little bit more than most. It has been the case that in the past, locals have had more of a focus on them, Spearing, Lee, Case etc. who were all decent enough players, but the first the crowd got onto if they didn’t excel, whereas Gerrard and Trent for instance have/had their detractors unless they’ve been pretty much excellent every game.

Curtis has shown lots of promise but needs to be more aggressive, in my opinion, with his attacking play and certainly his shooting, he’s tidy enough but then again, plays safe passes as if under orders to keep it simple. That’s why he gives the impression he’s slowing play down maybe?

2 hours ago, coachpotato said:

Jones has an additional problem that, being a local lad, he’ll possibly have to impress that little bit more than most. It has been the case that in the past, locals have had more of a focus on them, Spearing, Lee, Case etc. who were all decent enough players, but the first the crowd got onto if they didn’t excel, whereas Gerrard and Trent for instance have/had their detractors unless they’ve been pretty much excellent every game.

Curtis has shown lots of promise but needs to be more aggressive, in my opinion, with his attacking play and certainly his shooting, he’s tidy enough but then again, plays safe passes as if under orders to keep it simple. That’s why he gives the impression he’s slowing play down maybe?

Hendo plays it simple but plays it quick, often one touch. Thiago almost always looks for a forward/line breaking pass and he hits his pass with a bit of oomph. Jones on the other hand, often takes an extra touch before he plays a safe pass, taking away all forward momentum. 

I do think he could do with getting himself some extra training sessions. Take the game this week - same old same old, he got the ball, wriggled his way into the box and then scuffed his shot. His balance is rarely right, and you don't just wait for that to improve, you work at it. 

I thought he looked ok today. Considering they're not 90 mins into preseason yet. He looks a little quicker and stronger. It's hard for them all in preseason. Klopp works the nuts of them. The lineups are all over the place and you get 30-45 mins to impress. The big thing for me was how often he was bursting past his man in midfield (without the ball). He didn't always receive it, but he just looked stronger and sharper than those he was up against. Let's hope this is the start of him kicking on.