You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (Jul 4-8 2022)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Monday Jul 4:

The lads are back in training and I’m just not ready for this yet. Last season was just constant stress as the stakes were so high and every single game felt like it had everything riding on it, usually because it kind of did. The knock out games were, well, knock out, and the league games were too. It was relentless and then it ended on a downer in that last seven days. So yeah, I’m not ready for it to be back so soon but it is what it is I guess and we just have to suck it up and go again.

Lot of rumours yesterday that we’d made a move on Bellingham. As far as I can tell it was a hoax that fooled a lot of people but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a possibility that something is afoot. I speculated about it in last week’s diary when Mo extended. Not having to sign a replacement for Mo is a game changer financially. It frees up money for other deals and we really only need one more player. One more midfielder and we’re set. If that midfielder is someone who could be here for 15 years then all the better. 

The £100m plus fee Bellingham will command is steep but if they are convinced he’s a fit for us then because of his age the fee isn’t that important. If we have the money (which we probably do after our success last season) then just pay what it takes to get him. Ordinarily Dortmund only sell one player each summer, but they got fuck all for Haaland really so maybe they’ll be tempted by the cash?

Meanwhile, Ronaldo wants out at United. Surely that means City will be at the front of the queue then, after all, they wanted to sign him last summer didn’t they? And if you believe that you’ll believe anything. Hell of a job by Ronaldo, Mendes and probably even City themselves to concoct that whole thing to force United into making that deal happen. Now he’s had enough of how shit they are and wants out. I bet that new manager is made up though, as the last thing you want when trying to make your mark at a new club is someone like Ronaldo undermining your every move.

You know where he’s meant to be going? Chelsea! I’m not having that. There’s no way Chelsea are that stupid. They’ve just had to offload one big money striker who didn’t fit the way they want to play, why would they bring in someone who is an even worse fit? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not bashing Ronaldo, he’s still fucking brilliant at what he does. But it’s the baggage isn’t it? He’s such a massive star but he’s not 27 anymore so you can’t build a team around him and let him have free rein to do what he likes. He’s old, doesn’t have much time left at the top and really should be tailoring his demands and expectations to that reality. Except he’s too arrogant to do that. So he’s a problem.

You’d have to be thick as fuck to sign him now. Or you’d just do it for the attention and spotlight it would bring. So Newcastle then. They tick both of them boxes.

Fair play to United though, they’ve managed to convince their local beat reporters to write - with a straight face - that United are annoyed with Ronaldo because he told them he was staying which was why they ‘let’ us sign Nunez. Yeah, THAT is why Nunez didn’t sign for them. Kinell.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic
  • dave u unpinned this topic