You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: I could not be happier that Joe is staying with us for the long term  

TLW

Jurgen Klopp has expressed his delight once again that one of the long term members of his squad has committed his future to the Reds.

Joe Gomez has frequently been linked away from the club that he joined as a 18 year-old in 2015 with Aston Villa reportedly showing the most interest.

Despite the interest and the fact that there is intense competition to partner Virgil Van Dijk in the heart of the Reds defence, the 25 year-old put pen to paper on a new deal on Thursday which is speculated to be around five years.

In the past two campaigns combined, Gomez has made just 33 appearances across all competitions. In contrast he made 43 appearances in the league winning campaign of 2019/20. 

In his seven seasons with the reigning FA and League Cup holders, he has missed 139 games through injury which is basically half his Reds career as he has made 142 appearances in all.

When fit and firing, there is little doubt that Gomez is one of the finest defenders in the country and the fact that he has been through so much adversity in getting his body right means that the respect for the former Charlton Athletic junior could not be higher within the squad.

The manager was glowing about the news as the Official site reported.

"Joe is an outstanding talent. He is also an outstanding defender and an outstanding human being. He has so many qualities, I could talk about them all day, so knowing that he will continue his journey with us is a massive boost – one that everyone who loves Liverpool FC and cares about its present and future should be unbelievably happy about.’

“One of the many wonderful things about Joe is he has experience and youth – that’s not a bad combination. He has not long turned 25 but he was at the club before I was and I think after Hendo and Millie he is our longest-serving player. 

“Incredible. But the best thing of all is that his best years are still to come and I could not be happier that this will happen with us.

“In terms of right now, Joe is in phenomenal shape. We had a few weeks off and when I returned, I saw him and my first thought was ‘Wow!’ Physically, he is in such a good place and now all he needs is a good pre-season and the rhythm that comes from this.

“Everything else is in place and I could not be happier that he will be staying with us for even longer.”

The mutual respect runs both ways with Gomez saying how indebted he is for the support he has received from Klopp.

gomez9_600.jpg

“The gaffer is, I think, the best in the world for me. He has been a massive part of my life, not just as a manager but as a man. He teaches us all principles outside of football each day in the way he carries himself and the way he is as a person. 

“Having the opportunity to learn from him as a teenager until now has been great and I know there is a lot more I can learn from him, hence why I feel this is the best place for me to be. I am definitely grateful for the lessons he has taught me throughout my time here, whether that be through injury or through times when I've been doing well.”

Let’s hope that we get to see Joe flourish in the second part of his career. If there is anyone that deserves the rub of the green in this current squad it is most certainly him.

View full article

I was only thinking yesterday, way before this new contract is out, Gomez will be due his testimonial with us. Which is weird enough as he's quite young, but feels stranger as he's never really established himself - in fact he still doesn't have 100 league matches behind him.

It'll be interesting to see if he can kick on from here. He's a great 4th choice for us (he must be the best 4th choice in world football), but I'm sure he wants to be more than a squad player. I don't know if he has the ability to get past matip and konate, which is no shame as they're both terrific footballers, but I'm sure that's his aim for this season. 

• Upvote 1

Virgil loves him. When he's on form at CB, he can play balls out like Bobby Moore. I don't want to see him spend much time standing in at RB, and hopefully now he's not needed there anyway. It's only injury and long periods without the chance to regain any rhythm that's held him back. He's a classier CB than anything Engerland have and he deserves more than a bit of luck for the next season with us.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Virgil loves him. When he's on form at CB, he can play balls out like Bobby Moore. I don't want to see him spend much time standing in at RB, and hopefully now he's not needed there anyway. It's only injury and long periods without the chance to regain any rhythm that's held him back. He's a classier CB than anything Engerland have and he deserves more than a bit of luck for the next season with us.

To be honest, I'm not convinced he has what it takes to be a absolutely top level centre back. I think he is pretty poor in the air for his position (we don't even push him forward on corners when he's in the team) and he often seems to misread the flight of the ball and gets under it. But as I said in the other post, despite how long he's been around (this must be his 8th season ahead?), he hasn't played that many games and of his 80-odd league games he's played for us, he must have played maybe a 3rd of them at full back (either the left back under Rodgers or the right back cover he's done under klopp). He's 25 and he certainly still has loads to learn imo and it was not easy to see last season if he's quite as rapid after that last injury as he was earlier in his career and certainly in that run he had in the league winning side. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

To be honest, I'm not convinced he has what it takes to be a absolutely top level centre back. I think he is pretty poor in the air for his position (we don't even push him forward on corners when he's in the team) and he often seems to misread the flight of the ball and gets under it. But as I said in the other post, despite how long he's been around (this must be his 8th season ahead?), he hasn't played that many games and of his 80-odd league games he's played for us, he must have played maybe a 3rd of them at full back (either the left back under Rodgers or the right back cover he's done under klopp). He's 25 and he certainly still has loads to learn imo and it was not easy to see last season if he's quite as rapid after that last injury as he was earlier in his career and certainly in that run he had in the league winning side. 

That's because of his recovery pace, not his weak aerial ability.