Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyH

Is Gerrards legacy likely to take a (minor) hit?

People can talk stats all they like. Some back up his legendary status, others might diminish it.

I don’t care. As was said earlier, those that watched him play will always know who, and what he was. We will pass those stories down and the legend of Steven Gerrard will continue to thrive. 

6 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

People can talk stats all they like. Some back up his legendary status, others might diminish it.

I don’t care. As was said earlier, those that watched him play will always know who, and what he was. We will pass those stories down and the legend of Steven Gerrard will continue to thrive. 

Amen.

• Upvote 1

Gerrard in this team would make Kevin De Bruyne look like a bum. He'd be the best player in the league by a mile.

Tactical discipline wouldn't be a problem for him because he wouldn't be playing for a defensively obsessed manager. I get where the whole "Gerrard isn't tactically disciplined" thing comes from, its because Rafa spoonfed that to people off the record for years.

Stevie was too swashbuckling to play centre mid in his system, but he'd be unreal playing in Klopp's.

Another factor in Gerrard's supposed tactical weakness was that he was often playing in shit teams where he needed to force the issue because nobody else would be capable of it. No point him sitting midfield and watching nothing happen in front of him. Of course he's not going to do that. Doesn't mean he has no tactical discipline, it just means he's a winner.

He played right back and was brilliant. He played holding midfielder and was brilliant. He played right midfield and was brilliant. He's since become a manager who builds his teams on being organised and defensively sound.

Gerrard in a midfield with Fabinho and either Thiago or Hendo would be un-fucking-believable.

And besides, there'd be nothing stopping us going with the same 4-2-3-1 he played in when he was just behind Torres.

If I could add any player from our history to this current team it's Gerrard. Even ahead of Suarez, and you know how much I love Suarez.

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Gerrard in this team would make Kevin De Bruyne look like a bum. He'd be the best player in the league by a mile.

Tactical discipline wouldn't be a problem for him because he wouldn't be playing for a defensively obsessed manager. I get where the whole "Gerrard isn't tactically disciplined" thing comes from, its because Rafa spoonfed that to people off the record for years.

Stevie was too swashbuckling to play centre mid in his system, but he'd be unreal playing in Klopp's.

Another factor in Gerrard's supposed tactical weakness was that he was often playing in shit teams where he needed to force the issue because nobody else would be capable of it. No point him sitting midfield and watching nothing happen in front of him. Of course he's not going to do that. Doesn't mean he has no tactical discipline, it just means he's a winner.

He played right back and was brilliant. He played holding midfielder and was brilliant. He played right midfield and was brilliant. He's since become a manager who builds his teams on being organised and defensively sound.

Gerrard in a midfield with Fabinho and either Thiago or Hendo would be un-fucking-believable.

And besides, there'd be nothing stopping us going with the same 4-2-3-1 he played in when he was just behind Torres.

If I could add any player from our history to this current team it's Gerrard. Even ahead of Suarez, and you know how much I love Suarez.

This is the content I subscribe for

(or will do when I get paid)

2 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

For people watched him game after game then no, his legacy will remain intact.

As I saw the thread title, that was my thoughts as well. 

A few times last season watching City, De Bruyne looked like a Gerrard re-incarnation. The way he’d drive at teams from midfield was eerily reminiscent. 

As great as De Bruyne is, Gerrard is still comfortably a better player. 

1 hour ago, dave u said:

I could add any player from our history to this current team it's Gerrard. Even ahead of Suarez, and you know how much I love Suarez.

Although it’s not a hill I think I’d die on, I think I’d argue Suarez. 

That season in 13/14 (even 12/13 as well) was just incredible. I know ultimately he had nothing to show for it but fucking hell, he was just unreal. 

At 40, I’m not old enough to remember peak Souness, Barnes, Dalglish etc, IMO, Suarez is the most talented player I’ve seen play for us.  

I hope the next 25 years see Steven Gerrard fall out the Top 10 or even 20 of our greatest players of all time list....

It will almost certainly mean we have had a fucking absolutely phenomenal period.

Gerrard in any Klopp team would be sensational the tactical acumen from both of them would work brilliantly,  it's just a shame we couldn't at least get the chance to see it in real life. 

Just to restate - I was talking about Gerrard going from 2nd, to 3rd or 4th. Not drop out of the top fuckin 100 or something. But this is the internet so I suppose such a question was always going to end with “I can’t believe you think Gerrard is shit”. 

3 hours ago, dave u said:

You think Klopp would play him in midfield? What swashbuckling type midfielder has Klopp ever played in his winning midfields?  Im not sure that’s Klopps style. I’d have thought Klopp would have Gerrard in his front 3, or in a 4231, on the right of the 3. 

And the sometimes lack of tactical discipline ON OCCASION isn’t “spoon fed by Rafa”, we saw plenty of examples of it. Yes, it was in defensive set ups of Houllier and then Rafa, but it still existed.  And Klopp most certainly demands discipline in his setup  especially on the press. 

I fear where this conversation is now going. But it’s ok for Stevie to not be absolutely perfect in every way and I think it’s ok to discuss if certain managers may or may not have been able to use him to his best. 

I know how great Yeats, Callaghan, St John, Lawler, Hunt, Hughes,  Heighway, Keegan etc were because my dad made sure I did. It’s up to those of us who were lucky enough to watch Stevie to ensure the next generation knows what a legend he was. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

You think Klopp would play him in midfield? What swashbuckling type midfielder has Klopp ever played in his winning midfields?  Im not sure that’s Klopps style. I’d have thought Klopp would have Gerrard in his front 3, or in a 4231, on the right of the 3. 

And the sometimes lack of tactical discipline ON OCCASION isn’t “spoon fed by Rafa”, we saw plenty of examples of it. Yes, it was in defensive set ups of Houllier and then Rafa, but it still existed.  And Klopp most certainly demands discipline in his setup  especially on the press. 

I fear where this conversation is now going. But it’s ok for Stevie to not be absolutely perfect in every way and I think it’s ok to discuss if certain managers may or may not have been able to use him to his best. 

Klopp's style is to get the best out of the players he has.  He had Lewandowski as a classic number 9 at Dortmund and Firmino as a false 9 here, for example.  So of course he'd play Gerrard in midfield, and if we had Thiago and Fabinho in this hypothetical scenario it would be absolutely amazing.

Gerrard wasn't always the best at following runners I'll agree there - but he would obviously be able to play the pressing game and he would have intimidated the shit out of the opposition doing it too.

7 hours ago, dave u said:

X

6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Tarnished his legacy managing the Tory right wing gammon queen shaggers 

*bails 

*shakes head*

55 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Imagine Stevie instead of Henderson in the exact same system/role.

Frightening.

As has been previously said, can you put NSFW tags around this stuff please