You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago or Alonso?

Jose Jones

Spanish midfielder showdown  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who tickles your Spanish fancy?

Got to be thiago for me as much as I loved xabi. Only thing I'd say is was xabi on the pitch more? 

Thiago I think just oozes class, he sees things so quickly, those passes that are pinpoint between '' the lines '' are something else. 

This allows us to transition into the attacking areas much quicker. 

Both incredible players. 

What a player Alonso was! His long range passing was probably better than Thiago's.  His penalty against Milan showed his ability to play with either foot and his celebration how to survive strangulation!

All that said Thiago probably edges it for me. His vision and ability to play a killer pass are phenomenal. He brings us up to another level. Imagine what he would do with Mascherano and Gerrard around him. Frightening!!

I’m abstaining. 

Two of the most talented players to ever play for the club. 

I think it might be Thiago, we need to see him on the pitch more (although Alonoso had a few big-ish injury problems as well). 

Xabi stood out in a poorer team, Thiago stands out in one of the best sides we’ve ever had.

I will say both were better than Charlie Adam. 

Alonso

Because he was simply more reliable and available fitness wise.

Thiago is the better footballer - but someone who is unavailable so much is in my opinion less attractive than someone who is still top quality only a slight drop off, but more reliable.

55 minutes ago, an tha said:

Alonso

Because he was simply more reliable and available fitness wise.

Thiago is the better footballer - but someone who is unavailable so much is in my opinion less attractive than someone who is still top quality only a slight drop off, but more reliable.

Yes, agree with this. 

From a purely footballing point of view Thiago is probably the better player but in terms of who you would prefer to have in your squad. I would prefer to have the player that plays 8-9 times out of 10 than one that does 5-6.

Two brilliant footballers and two of the best passers of a ball that’s been here the last 40 years. 

They are also quite similar imo, a lack of pace probably the main weakness for both of them. Also both of them seemed to enjoy a challenge, and won their fair share both on the ground and in the air. And both great at reading the game and intercepting play.

Thiago slightly more creative and better in the final third, and Alonso slightly better at dictating the game by always choosing the right pass at the right time. 

Alonso edges it for me, mainly because of that ability to control games. But very close, two great players.

Dribbling, tackling, and fitness are the areas where there's most separation, imo, but still not much in it overall. Probably give it to Alonso.

I'll never forget being at the Reebok for Alonso's debut. Just watching him warm up you could tell he was class.