You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football 22/23

Bjornebye

11 hours ago, deiseach said:

"The market sets the agenda, not a group of feminist campaigners."

I suppose this boils down to whether you think 'the market' should trump other considerations. I can think of countless instances of 'the market' scoffing at the efforts of a small number of doughty campaigners to change the narrative. Those who sought a sporting boycott of apartheid South Africa were viewed as cranks back in the day. A tipping point arrived though when their efforts bore fruit. Change doesn't just happen. Something has to cause it. Time will tell if people are truly receptive to women's football moving into the mainstream, I guess.

You clearly don't understand the market, or at the best case, what I mean by the market.

Social justice away, tough guy.

I was against m0e's stance on Womens sport but having read the story about Imogen Clarke today I'm coming around to his way of thinking.

No way would would a guy known as the Asthmatic Arse Fondler be allowed to still be in the sport.

• Upvote 1

On 28/07/2022 at 09:50, TD_LFC said:

I guess the main question is why does anyone care?

If the market sets the agenda then the popularity of the Women's Euro's would be why news agencies are going big on it at a time where men's football hasn't started yet.

That would be a fair point, only the mainstream media often tries to create the market.

What will determine its success is if people are willing to pay, week in week out, for the 'privilege' of watching the sport.

At the moment, they clearly don't, and I doubt that will change in my lifetime.

If it does, fair play.

Just get the news about it onto a different link please.

Newcastle bid £40m for Leicester's Maddison.

Newcastle United have made a £40 million bid for James Maddison, the Leicester and England attacking midfielder.

Telegraph Sport understands Newcastle tabled the significant offer for Maddison on Friday and it was turned down by Leicester, who are the only remaining Premier League club yet to make a senior signing this summer.

Maddison, 25, has been identified as a key target for Eddie Howe ahead of the new season and Newcastle are now weighing up whether to make an improved offer.

The £40m offered would have made Maddison Newcastle's joint-record signing alongside Joelinton if it had been successful.

Signed for £25m from Norwich City in June 2018, Maddison has proved an excellent recruit and developed his game under the guidance of Brendan Rodgers.

Leicester's stance on Maddison is intriguing as they need to sell players to raise funds this summer, due to issues with Financial Fair Play and a top-heavy squad.

The decision to reject Newcastle's bid appears to suggest that Leicester consider Maddison as integral to Rodgers' plans for the forthcoming season, despite their obvious need for funds.

Newcastle have signed Sven Botman, Matt Targett and Nick Pope this summer and the bid for Maddison is their most ambitious move so far.

After the win over Atalanta in a friendly on Friday night, Howe was asked about the prospect of making any attacking signings.

He said: “Never say never but as the days tick by it is looking more and more unlikely.

“However, the most important thing is that we get the right players, not the speed that we get them in.”

Maddison has two years remaining on his contract, after signing an improved deal in August 2020. Leicester could now open talks over another new contract.

Last season he provided 18 goals and 12 assists in all competitions, with Rodgers admitting he could do no more to earn an England recall.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/07/30/exclusive-newcastle-make-40m-bid-leicester-star-james-maddison/

18 minutes ago, sir roger said:

If you can't be giddy in pre-season, what's the point of being a football fan ?

I preferred the days when pre season was a mystery, where you just saw a result (maybe) in the paper and the first you saw or heard of it all was the charity shield.

It's become an absolute circus.

• Upvote 1

Bayern looked really good

Switched off and Leipzig got back into the game and then killed it on the break. Some bloody forward line they have there this year. Mane,Sane,Coman,Gnabry Musiala,Muller and Zirkee. Got to be one of the favourites for the CL. 

Quite looking forward to watching Palace,Viera surprised me. Building a interesting young squad there. Arsenal should be interesting to. Reckon it's us amd Chelsea then Spurs and Arsenal 

I went to watch Wakefield AFC yesterday. Their first game in the North East Counties Division One, following promotion last season. My glory hunting nose needed an itch scratching. 

They’re now on the tenth tier of the football pyramid, and started with a 3-1 win over Glashoughton with around 400 in attendance. 

Currently their home games are at Featherstone Rovers Rugby League ground, although I believe there is a plan to move to Wakefield Trinity’s home at some point in the future. 

It was great to watch ‘real’ football, lots of families in the crowd which bodes well for the clubs future.

Wakefield is currently the largest City in England without a professional football club. This hasn’t gone unnoticed by an American Hedge Fund and significant investment is being provided. It’s a way off, but the expectation is that they will move up the pyramid fairly quickly.

I look forward to writing about them in the modern football thread as they inevitably get sucked further into all the nonsense that success will bring. 

Until then, it’s a really enjoyable way to spend a Saturday afternoon, although they can fuck off with £4.20 for a cheeseburger. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Considering the women's game is apparently a refreshing antidote to the men's game, the England Euro womens team are a lot less multi-cultural than their male counterparts.

Sadly there's most likely a straight forward socio-economic reason for that as it was only recently professionalised and been able to devote themselves fully without having support from home/partner etc.