You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football 22/23

Bjornebye

That was a grim watch, womens football has had a blank canvas and somehow England still knock it to the big man upfront and play from there. Spain were like watching Spain, England more like Wimbledon.

Watched a bit yesterday. Thought outside the penalty areas the standard was pretty good. Inside them you get the comical defending and keeping. 

The two teams perfectly mirrored the male sides. One with lots of neat passes and no cutting edge and the other playing fairly primitive stuff. 

Despite the crowd sounding like an area sports day, it was extremely easy to not hate the England team. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, No2 said:

That was a grim watch, womens football has had a blank canvas and somehow England still knock it to the big man upfront and play from there. Spain were like watching Spain, England more like Wimbledon.

The England Women's manager is German, isnt she? Not sure how or if she's been indoctrinanted into the so called English 'lump it to the big man (or woman)' tactic myself.

9 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The England Women's manager is German, isnt she? Not sure how or if she's been indoctrinanted into the so called English 'lump it to the big man (or woman)' tactic myself.

I'm not blaming the manager, she can only use the tools she has. The Spanish looked like Spanish women, the English mostly looked like English men with long hair playing like England under Sam Allerdyce. That disappointed me, a game still in its infancy has already resorted to survival of the fittest. There is no reason England shouldn't have loads of tiny skillful women like Spain did.

4 minutes ago, No2 said:

I'm not blaming the manager, she can only use the tools she has. The Spanish looked like Spanish women, the English mostly looked like English men with long hair playing like England under Sam Allerdyce. That disappointed me, a game still in its infancy has already resorted to survival of the fittest. There is no reason England shouldn't have loads of tiny skillful women like Spain did.

I didnt watch it, no interest in women's football. But maybe the manager saw a deficiency in the centre of the Spanish defence and played on that? Didnt the equaliser come as a result of an aerial challenge that the Spanish skipper is moaning about?

I re-watched the first episode and a half of that Spurs doc on amazon "All Or Nothing". Mourinhos shit man management skills coupled with absolute disrespect from day one from many of the players was unreal. 

It starts with Pochettinho at the helm still and it was clear the players downed tools for him. I reckon Levy got all starstruck by the thought of Mourinho and started getting stuff filtered around the squad. The attitude of some of the players though.... fucking horrible twats. Mourinho's first training session was cringe-worthy to watch. trying to make shit small talk with players who are pretty much ignoring him. Dele Alli is a cunt of a human being.

I was listening to the Harry Redknapp podcast speaking with John Barnes the other day. They were talking about man management and Redknapp said throughout his career as a manager his door was always open for players to come in and chat, he said by the time he took the Spurs job it wouldn't happen. If a player had a problem they'd go to their agent who would call the chairman who would then call the manager. Footballers (and agents) are cunts and it's only getting worse. I think after this squad has run it's course I'm gonna start stepping back more from the game. Thankfully we don't seem to have too many dickheads and we have a great manager but one day we will be as bad as the rest.