Sign in to follow this  
Bjornebye

Players Who Never Fulfilled Their Potential

4-4-2

James; Jones, Babbel, Agger, Matteo; Ox, Redknapp, Keita, Kewell; Collymore, Sturridge

Might sound an odd shout considering how amazing he was, but Marco van Basten. 

Injury fucked him at 28, would have been fascinating to see what he would have gone on to achieve at an age where players were considered in their prime. 

• Upvote 1

On 01/07/2022 at 04:30, Chip Butty said:

Pele

Fraud. 

Scored over a 1000 goals in a league before proper recording of stats or video records.  Source: honest to God lad, swear down, not even blaggin.

Reckon he counted goals scored in the back garden in his tally. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Stouffer said:

Lee Sharpe was unreal for 18 months.

Great shout. To be fair to Slur, he had him playing at a high level across both wings and full-back for about seven years, sold him for a massive fee, and then watched him fall off a cliff. 

14 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Injury fucked him at 28, would have been fascinating to see what he would have gone on to achieve at an age where players were considered in their prime. 

Considering how amazing he was, that sounds like an odd shout.

14 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

I fucking loved Van Basten. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DalyanPete said:

Considering how amazing he was, that sounds like an odd shout.

You don’t think he could have been even greater considering the injuries he sustained and was playing through? 

An injury free van Basten could be in the conversation for the greatest ever. 

1 hour ago, KMD7 said:

I fucking loved Van Basten. 

I got a dodgy Milan shirt of his on holiday in Majorca.  

I was still wearing it when it had holes in both armpits. 

• Upvote 1

On 01/07/2022 at 08:57, Tony Moanero said:

Alun Evans

E50C8B6F-C806-4D3D-BEA3-40C3E54C7A82.jpeg

Love those old Liverpool players photos. 

• Upvote 1

On 02/07/2022 at 10:26, Stouffer said:

Lee Sharpe was unreal for 18 months.

On 02/07/2022 at 16:21, Ron B said:

Great shout. To be fair to Slur, he had him playing at a high level across both wings and full-back for about seven years, sold him for a massive fee, and then watched him fall off a cliff. 

I remember reading something about him a while ago, pointing out that his autobiography contains an anecdote about him taking the piss out of Gary Neville for staying behind for extra training while Sharpe went out on the lash; the same article pointed out that he's now best known for Celebrity Love Island.

On 01/07/2022 at 21:54, aRdja said:

Michael Owen? He was a brilliant talent, I never saw anything like it. Made the best defenders in the world look stupid with his pace and movements. I know he won a lot of trophies, and Ballon D’Or, but I couldn’t help but think that he could’ve been an all time great, but he never even scored 20 leagues goals in one season, despite all that talent. 

Agree with this.

24 minutes ago, John102 said:

Agree with this.

As much as I loved houllier,no striker was gonna score more than 20 goals in 1 of his teams.

At the end of kennys full season there was about 6 weeks there where Carroll looked amazing.

I remember going to Blackburn where he got the winner,he scored that epic against the shite and he changed the game when he came on in the final.

Even in that final league game against Chelsea he was brilliant. 

Shame he was an utter dickhead.

George Best, great though he was, never achieved his full potential, he had the same problems that beset Gazza. More interested in the fame and being a playboy than being a footballer. All downhill after he was about 24.

• Upvote 1