You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Players Who Never Fulfilled Their Potential

Bjornebye

As much as hes a bellend, Collymore, absolute monster potential literally had everything, left foot right foot strong quick could pass shoot from distance. Like an English Real Ronaldo.

That Michael Johnson at Man City is another one, looked like a Gerrard and we were linked with him before he completely went off

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

There's basically two categories for this, either they were wrecked by injuries or they were a massive dickhead. I've always had more sympathy with the former.

Think theirs's a third category which is lack of proper care and guidance for young players (especially those recently released) which prevents them falling into latter and also prepares them better mentally for the former.

2 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

Without the injuries Sturridge could have still been playing and scoring loads for us this season. 13/14 he was incredible, had so much to his game.

Also I would have loved to see a peak Steven Gerrard in a side with other world class players like our current one, he probably could have hit even higher heights.

Sturridge's problem was between his ears. Wouldn't step up and lead the line after Suarez left . Never been convinced about most of his injuries . 

52 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Think theirs's a third category which is lack of proper care and guidance for young players (especially those recently released) which prevents them falling into latter and also prepares them better mentally for the former.

For all his faults didn’t Hoddle try and do some sort of program in Spain for young players who’d recently been released? 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/80988-glenn-hoddle-giving-a-little-back-through-his-football-academy-in-spain.amp.html

Don’t know if it’s still going, like. 

2 hours ago, etho said:

As much as hes a bellend, Collymore, absolute monster potential literally had everything, left foot right foot strong quick could pass shoot from distance. Like an English Real Ronaldo.

That Michael Johnson at Man City is another one, looked like a Gerrard and we were linked with him before he completely went off

Went off? You mean to finger 14 year old girls?

Collymore could have been one of the great forwards. If he'd had the mental capacity of a Suarez or anyone else who wrung every ounce of potential out of their career he would have been world-class. Had everything. Pace, power, touch, vision, finishing, the lot. Sadly he was a mental midget. 

43 minutes ago, TheRedMachine said:

Collymore could have been one of the great forwards. If he'd had the mental capacity of a Suarez or anyone else who wrung every ounce of potential out of their career he would have been world-class. Had everything. Pace, power, touch, vision, finishing, the lot. Sadly he was a mental midget. 

It didn't help that Evans wasn't strong enough to manage him. Collymore had a huge house in Rainhill but refused to move up (I think he stayed in Stafford) and would either drive a few hours to training everyday or get twatted and stay in hotels in town. The likes of Fowler and Macca ran that dressing room and once they turned on you that was it you were ostracised. That just made Collymore worse. I doubt Houllier would have signed him but I'd love to have seen how he would have handled him from day 1. Shit loads of talent. 

I was at the Woking v Southend game in the winter and Collymore was sat behind me. He's a director or something at Southend. He looked rough as fuck. 

1 hour ago, TheRedMachine said:

Went off? You mean to finger 14 year old girls?

Think you're thinking of Adam Johnson, the ex Sunderland sex offender.

Michael Johnson is this guy. Goes to show how much of a forgotten man he is I guess, but he really did look like the real deal

https://youtu.be/UsBbDIU6VbY

5 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

There's basically two categories for this, either they were wrecked by injuries or they were a massive dickhead. I've always had more sympathy with the former.

Alf Arrowsmith was very much the former: 15 goals in 20 games for the 63/64 title winners, then fucked his knee in the Charity Shield and that was that.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

Do you include shearer because he didn't play for utd and win trophies? 

Because you can't fault his goalscoring record in the slightest. It's astonishing 

Le tissier is an interesting one though. Bags of talent, had 4 really outstanding seasons at a shit club and some good seasons to. But no denying he didn't give his full "body" to the game. Didn't eat right or train like a modern pro that's for sure. 

Not necessarily united. At the time Blackburn were the rich club and he chased the money rather than the glory. He could have achieved so much more and then returning to Newcastle just showed he lacked that wee bit of ambition