You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Le Tour 2022!

dockers_strike

It used to be on live here in the morning, then repeated in the afternoon when I got home from work. Perfect.

Now it's only available on some streaming site that charges $195 per year. So there'll be upwards of 30 or 40 people watching it this year in Canada.

Signed up with SBS from Australia who're streaming it on demand for free, thankfully so still able to see some of it.

1 hour ago, polymerpunkah said:

It used to be on live here in the morning, then repeated in the afternoon when I got home from work. Perfect.

Now it's only available on some streaming site that charges $195 per year. So there'll be upwards of 30 or 40 people watching it this year in Canada.

Signed up with SBS from Australia who're streaming it on demand for free, thankfully so still able to see some of it.

Eurosport, which I watch the cycling classics on, is currently free through Sky but is now owned by Disney channel. Disney have just bought or merged with BT Sport which tried to compete with Sky and racked up huge losses in the process.

How long will it be before Disney \ BT Sport start charging to watch Eurosport via their channels or Sky? I reckon 3 years tops.

ITV trying hard to ruin their normally excellent coverage of the Tour for some reason. Who is that woman pundit now, can someone tell her how to pronounce the name of the winner of the biggest race in her sport for the past two years? Enough with the platitudes and bring back Boardman.

Last stage of the Tour before rest day tomorrow and start of the final week. Stage 15 is classed as a flat 202km so should favour the sprinters?

Couple of riders have withdrawn before today's start. Biggest of those is 2020 Tour runner up, Roglic,as a result of injuries picked up from a crash in the last 30km of stage 5. Also out are stage winners Simon Clarke and Magnus Cort due to positive covid tests.

In other news, Orla is flashing her pins in a very short skirt green outfit!

8 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

Canada Day at the Tour.

First and third. Only the second Canadian to win a stage, sadly enough.

Hopefully Pogacar makes a go of it tomorrow and thursday.

Ah cool. Didnt know that. Today is Columbia Independence Day apparently. Today's classed as another Mountain stage which should tax the riders again!

Stage 18 of the Tour is underway. It's another mountain stage 144km long.

Although the Tour finishes on Sunday, there's only today, Friday and Saturday left for Vingegaard to be displaced as leader as convention dictates whoever is leader at the end of Saturday's stage isnt 'challenged' on the Champs Elysees

One thing I don't understand ever since Pogačar arrived on the scene, why is UAE not building a strong team around him, or someone else snapping him up? How much is he getting there? His first tour two years ago was a joke from the point of an eventually winning team's performance and even now it is a far, far cry from the support US Postal and Sky were providing for years to their star rider.

Stronger team probably wouldn't help him this year as Vingegaard looked stronger anyway, but next year, he will most likely have to ride more or less alone against Jumbo Visma.

20 minutes ago, SasaS said:

One thing I don't understand ever since Pogačar arrived on the scene, why is UAE not building a strong team around him, or someone else snapping him up? How much is he getting there? His first tour two years ago was a joke from the point of an eventually winning team's performance and even now it is a far, far cry from the support US Postal and Sky were providing for years to their star rider.

Stronger team probably wouldn't help him this year as Vingegaard looked stronger anyway, but next year, he will most likely have to ride more or less alone against Jumbo Visma.

I think they have a decent team now, way better than two years ago just got a bit unlucky with a few crashes and Covid.

Majka and George Bennett are both good in the mountains, and Brandon McNulty was tremendous in the Pyrenees.

It’s not as good as Jumbo Visma or Ineos.

Anyway it’s good for the sport that Pog isn’t on one of those two teams and we get the boring controlling team trains like when Armstrong and Froome were winning. So hopefully it stays that way!

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

I think they have a decent team now, way better than two years ago just got a bit unlucky with a few crashes and Covid.

Majka and George Bennett are both good in the mountains, and Brandon McNulty was tremendous in the Pyrenees.

It’s not as good as Jumbo Visma or Ineos.

Anyway it’s good for the sport that Pog isn’t on one of those two teams and we get the boring controlling team trains like when Armstrong and Froome were winning. So hopefully it stays that way!

McNulty is new to me and I saw him doing one and a half stage. Don't remember seeing Bennett much, only Maika.

I'd say they went from an unconvincing team that hit the jackpot with Pogačar but gets caught out in every crosswind situation to distinctly average. Which makes for a more exciting race but it's not entirely fair on Pogačar.

What were they called before?

9 hours ago, SasaS said:

McNulty is new to me and I saw him doing one and a half stage. Don't remember seeing Bennett much, only Maika.

I'd say they went from an unconvincing team that hit the jackpot with Pogačar but gets caught out in every crosswind situation to distinctly average. Which makes for a more exciting race but it's not entirely fair on Pogačar.

What were they called before?

Bennet got covid and had to pull out that's why you didn't see him much.  They've also got Marc Hirschi who won a couple of stages a couple of years ago, and is/was really highly rated, but he was terrible this year for some reason.

I don't know if UAE existed before the year that Pogacar first won?  Maybe they bought out a crap team and took it from there.

I would agree that UAE are an average cycling team - but it's only really Jumbo Visma who are miles better, and that's mainly down to Wout van Aert.  Ineos as well have lots of riders who could finish between 3rd and 10th.  If you put Pogacar in there in place of Geraint Thomas it would be back to boring processions.

7 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Bennet got covid and had to pull out that's why you didn't see him much.  They've also got Marc Hirschi who won a couple of stages a couple of years ago, and is/was really highly rated, but he was terrible this year for some reason.

I don't know if UAE existed before the year that Pogacar first won?  Maybe they bought out a crap team and took it from there.

I would agree that UAE are an average cycling team - but it's only really Jumbo Visma who are miles better, and that's mainly down to Wout van Aert.  Ineos as well have lots of riders who could finish between 3rd and 10th.  If you put Pogacar in there in place of Geraint Thomas it would be back to boring processions.

Agreed, I was never a fan of Sky, quite the contrary. But Pogačar came out of nowhere (well for me, I don't watch cycling, only the Tour) as a spectacular rider and I have never seen a GC victory favourite ride so much on his own and with relatively little team tactics or so little team organization (event the fact they were hit by covid and finished with 3 or 4 riders are for me now "typical UAE"). When Quintana was supposed to be the next big thing he had much more support and a stronger team in, I think, Movistar and he was a far cry from Pogačar's talent.