You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (Jun 20-24 2022)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Monday Jun 20:

Calvin Ramsay signed yesterday. His interview was really good, he walked the line perfectly between supreme self belief and cockiness. He didn’t come across at all arrogant or cocky, yet you can tell he isn’t going to be overawed. We’ve got a good little group of kids now who will hopefully form the cornerstone of the future squad. Trent, Ibou, Curtis, Harvey, Carvalho and now Ramsay. If we add the Bellingham brothers to that then even better. 

I’d like to see us sign another young striker though, Not for now, but someone boss to play in the u21s and maybe the cup games. Maybe Cannonnier will come through to be that player but it concerns me that despite all his goals for the 18s he wasn’t promoted to the 23s. I’ve watched him a fair bit and think he’s good, but he’s very much an Aguero type, penalty box goalscorer, and we don’t really play like that do we? We might see him, Carvalho and Gordon a fair bit in the 21s this year though, which would be enough to make me tune in to their games for the first time in a good few years. That level has been a waste of time in recent seasons. The 18s are always good to watch but the 23s has just not really had anything to get my attention and make me want to tune in.

Meanwhile, Gini suffered the ignominy of being voted the biggest flop in Ligue 1. Let me state for the record I love Gini Wijnaldum and think he’s fucking boss. What I’m about to say is not an indictment of him, but rather just highlighting the Klopp factor. In the season before he joined us, he was relegated at Newcastle. In the season after he left, he’s been voted the biggest flop in the league and been dropped by the national team for which he was a fucking superstar while he was with us. In between he was fucking boss and played virtually every week in the best team in Europe, while tearing shit up for Holland.

I’d like to say that others (Salah especially) should look at the fate of Gini (and Coutinho) and see them as warnings as to what happens when you leave the sanctity of Klopp and this team, but it doesn’t work that way because players always think they’ll be a success wherever they go. They see others struggle and think “that won’t happen to me, I’m too good”. They have to think that way I guess, as without that self belief they’d never have gotten as far as they have. 

There was a twitter rumour today that we were looking at Gini on loan as a stop gap until we can get Bellingham next summer. I’m calling bullshit on that. You could make a case for why it would make a lot of sense, especially if we sell Ox, but I just don’t think Klopp thinks that way. Once you’re gone he moves on and doesn’t look back. I’m good either way, if we did bring him back on loan I’d be happy but if it was my call I probably wouldn’t do it. 

Speaking of Ox though, the reports of late claim we aren’t going to sell him. I’m calling bullshit on that too. He never played, he could barely even make a nine man bench, he’s on a good wedge and he’ll be able to leave for free in 12 months. If we aren’t looking to sell him then someone needs to look for another job as that’s batshit crazy.

And speaking of batshit crazy, African twitter everybody….

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 19.49.41.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-20 at 19.58.25.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-20 at 20.05.11.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-20 at 20.06.05.png

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic
5 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

£15m for Neco strikes you as on low side?

We got Robertson, Tsimikas, Trent, and Matip for that amount.

None of them were established internationals for a side about to win the World Cup. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, alles ist gut said:

Top, top Anderson Arroyo analysis there, Dave.

(Re. Djed Spence - he was only on loan at Forest from Boro, of all places)

Yeah I just saw that on SSN. Blame John G for that, he told me he was signing for Spurs.

5 hours ago, Kevin D said:

£15m for Neco strikes you as on low side?

We got Robertson, Tsimikas, Trent, and Matip for that amount.

and Man United paid £80m for Maguire, £89m for Pogba etc City routinely pay £50m for shite full backs.

£15m for Neco is a good deal for whoever signs him.

3 minutes ago, dave u said:

and Man United paid £80m for Maguire, £89m for Pogba etc City routinely pay £50m for shite full backs.

£15m for Neco is a good deal for whoever signs him.

I've not seen enough of him to make my mind up, but it's quite a bit of money for someone with very few starts in a top league.

On 28/06/2022 at 16:15, Through Ball said:

Ronaldo wants out because he is no doubt shitting himself at the thought of Messi coming for his Champions League goal scoring record

At Messi's current rate of scoring since joining PSG he'd need to play until he's ninety to have any chance. He's finished.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure Dave means nothing of the sort but racist connotation can be implied by the specific use of "African" Twitter. Someone could easily draw comparison with Terry calling Ferdinand a "black" cunt when simply calling him a cunt would have sufficed.

As a person of mixed race, I can absolutely guarantee that there are a multitude of batshit crazy cunts from both races on Twitter posting absolute shite. By attaching the "African" prefix, it can read as if these are a worse brand of dimwitted cunts. This kind of thing fosters the sniffy, condescending tone of quite a few people in this forum to anything African related. Very quite evident before and during the AFCON.

Again, not accusing Dave of being a racist prick. Just think there should be an awareness around this issue.

• dave u unpinned this topic