You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If we were to sign one more player....

If we were to make one more signing.....  

100 members have voted

1. 1. If we were to make one more signing this summer, would you go for a midfielder or a forward

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think you're just being difficult regarding Henderson. He has nominal winger responsibilities on the right side, defending out wide and swinging crosses in on his strong foot. It's pretty clear. 

Elliott and Chamberlain were both wingers and I think that's relevant as to what Klopp has wanted out of the right sided #8 position. If you want to feign ignorance as to what kind of skills Elliott has because that suits your argument, so be it. 

Ok I'm being difficult. But we clearly don't agree on the definition of a winger if you think Henderson is one nominally or otherwise. He's absolutely nothing like a winger. 

19 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Ok I'm being difficult. But we clearly don't agree on the definition of a winger if you think Henderson is one nominally or otherwise. He's absolutely nothing like a winger. 

I've literally said this. 

49 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's not literally a winger, but it's not exactly a stretch to say he plays on the right. 

You clearly are just being difficult. It's obvious what I'm saying. The right sided midfielder has winger qualities under Klopp. We have 3 such players. Two who are former wingers and one in Henderson who is tasked to play as a de facto winger in a lot of games. Where he's interchanging with Trent, covering out wide, swinging crosses in with his right. 

This is all very simple, but it's one of your spin the point of the other poster specials.  

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I've literally said this. 

You clearly are just being difficult. It's obvious what I'm saying. The right sided midfielder has winger qualities under Klopp. We have 3 such players. Two who are former wingers and one in Henderson who is tasked to play as a de facto winger in a lot of games. Where he's interchanging with Trent, covering out wide, swinging crosses in with his right. 

This is all very simple, but it's one of your spin the point of the other poster specials.  

If being able to cross a ball while standing still constitutes winger qualities for you, Henderson's a winger. I would say that's not a quality of a winger, but there you go. It would be like calling David Beckham a winger, he was nothing like one, he just happened to play on the right of midfield. 

21 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Well you'll have to tell Jurgen Klopp that Henderson isnt world class in this team because he certainly was towards the end of the season. I think this team would massively miss its club captain after losing Mane. Still not sure how Henderson is so overlooked despite everything he continues to do for this team.

Not sure how to get my views across to Klopp, so I’ll have to settle for this forum I guess.

I admit that I may be too critical of Henderson, and acknowledge that others view his qualities and contributions differently. Still I would like to challenge the statement that he’s world class. Great leader and character, I think most will agree upon that. But apart from that what exactly is his main strengths as a player? With most players, and definately in our team, it’s pretty easy to tell what their main strengths are. Which are Hendersons?

3 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Not sure how to get my views across to Klopp, so I’ll have to settle for this forum I guess.

I admit that I may be too critical of Henderson, and acknowledge that others view his qualities and contributions differently. Still I would like to challenge the statement that he’s world class. Great leader and character, I think most will agree upon that. But apart from that what exactly is his main strengths as a player? With most players, and definately in our team, it’s pretty easy to tell what their main strengths are. Which are Hendersons?

Not sure about world class but he’s a solid midfielder; he’s a good passer of the ball, presses well, tactically sound, disciplined and plays it quick.

15 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

But apart from that what exactly is his main strengths as a player? With most players, and definately in our team, it’s pretty easy to tell what their main strengths are. Which are Hendersons?

Seriously? He's the captain of arguably the best team in the world over the last four years and he's been a mainstay of the team. You think a player with few real strengths would be in that position?

Henderson does absolutely everything to a really fucking high standard. Except shooting. His shooting is proper shit.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Seriously? He's the captain of arguably the best team in the world over the last four years and he's been a mainstay of the team. You think a player with few real strengths would be in that position?

Henderson does absolutely everything to a really fucking high standard. Except shooting. His shooting is proper shit.

And his floating crosses.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Henderson is a good footballer, nobody can survive in this team if they're not. But he's not world class. But he's also a very good leader and I do think is presence in our team has a value. I think it's alright for players not to be world class. 

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Henderson is a good footballer, nobody can survive in this team if they're not. But he's not world class. But he's also a very good leader and I do think is presence in our team has a value. I think it's alright for players not to be world class. 

Do you have to be ultra skillful to be world class? This seems to be the way we view it. Salah is world class because he's very skillful and scores goal,ditto Messi,Maradona et al but the were/are unbelievably one footed,not good in the air,poor tacklers(Hendo too). Yet VVD is(correctly named) world class but I'd argue that Hendo is technically more proficient,except for in the air. It just seem strange that we say 'world class' but it seems that 'pleasing on the eye' is a major part of that criteria as well.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Do you have to be ultra skillful to be world class? This seems to be the way we view it. Salah is world class because he's very skillful and scores goal,ditto Messi,Maradona et al but the were/are unbelievably one footed,not good in the air,poor tacklers(Hendo too). Yet VVD is(correctly named) world class but I'd argue that Hendo is technically more proficient,except for in the air. It just seem strange that we say 'world class' but it seems that 'pleasing on the eye' is a major part of that criteria as well.

I think everyone's definition of world class varies. For me it would be a player who's one of the world's outstanding performers in his position. I don't think Henderson is, he's just below that. He's incredibly valuable for us and the way we play, but I don't think for a minute he would make a world XI. In fact he probably doesn't make a PL XI. 

48 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think everyone's definition of world class varies. For me it would be a player who's one of the world's outstanding performers in his position. I don't think Henderson is, he's just below that. He's incredibly valuable for us and the way we play, but I don't think for a minute he would make a world XI. In fact he probably doesn't make a PL XI. 

I think Hendo has been vital to us. Keeping standards up, never giving in, bringing the energy and his versatility (without moaning) are 4 of the often cited qualities he brings.

The video of Lijnders going through the tactics Vs Barcelona showed all of this.

Clearly though, on top of that, he is also a much more intelligent and capable footballer than many give him credit for as you don't play in 3 CL finals and play for so long under a clever tactical coach if you aren't.

All that said, I don't think Hendo can bring that every week now and without it we lose a lot. From what I have seen of Barella he looks quite versatile and a really intelligent player. I could see he could come in for Hendo and move across to take Thiago's place as and when he is injured/rested.

I would rather phase Hendo out gradually over the next 2-3 seasons while he still has a lot to offer than over rely on him and everybody get on his back.

Hopefully if Barella came in we would still move for Bellingham next year anyway.

We really miss Henderson when he doesn't play. Even as back as 2014, if he doesn't pick up that silly red against City I reckon we go on and win the title. 

He isn't flashy, he can't shoot but he binds everything together. He's also a brilliant leader. 

My mates a blue who works very close to the football and says Henderson is the soundest player he deals with. Completely selfless, humble, loves the game and appreciates everyone involved from fans to fellow players. Goes out of his way all the time. As has been said, he wouldn't have been captain of this side for the last 4 years while we've been at the top of the sport if he wasn't top level himself. We're spoilt.