You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If we were to sign one more player....

If we were to make one more signing.....  

100 members have voted

1. 1. If we were to make one more signing this summer, would you go for a midfielder or a forward

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Lets here it from the consigliere.

Maybe Nunez or Diaz can play on the right a bit but it seems to me that we have only one player who is a natural in that position and he's in his last season.  That's a massive weakness in the squad which we should address as a priority. If Salah gets injured or continues his recent form we're struggling on the right side. It also makes a lot of sense to bed in his replacement while he's still here. Somebody like Saka at a bargain price would be ideal. 

I know we need a midfielder too but we do have eight to cover three positions and we could always adjust the formation if we had a few injuries and didn't want to trust the younger midfielders. We've made our summer "statement" signing so that if we did bring in another midfielder it won't be a superstar but a squad player. If Ox goes then that would be fair enough but if he stays then next season is when we should be trying to find out if Harvey and Curtis  are good enough. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, aws said:

Maybe Nunez or Diaz can play on the right a bit but it seems to me that we have only one player who is a natural in that position and he's in his last season.  That's a massive weakness in the squad which we should address as a priority. If Salah gets injured or continues his recent form we're struggling on the right side. It also makes a lot of sense to bed in his replacement while he's still here. Somebody like Saka at a bargain price would be ideal. 

I know we need a midfielder too but we do have eight to cover three positions and we could always adjust the formation if we had a few injuries and didn't want to trust the younger midfielders. We've made our summer "statement" signing so that if we did bring in another midfielder it won't be a superstar but a squad player. If Ox goes then that would be fair enough but if he stays then next season is when we should be trying to find out if Harvey and Curtis  are good enough. 

Nooooooooooo

There's links to Otavio today. If we were buying one more player, I like his kind of profile. A narrow winger/wide right centre mid profile, like we use Elliott. All respect to Henderson, but that position he plays in midfield is the weakest part of our starting 11. 

10 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Thiago and Fabinho are the only two midfielders we have that are really top class. Ideally we should have 4 or 5 of those, and a couple of very promising youngsters in addition.

Thiago can’t be relied upon to stay fit, and if Fabinho got a lengthy absence it would be a disaster.

If possible we should bring in two top class midfielders this summer. One of the two should have DM as his best position, the other one should be a box to box type. With two in either Keita or Henderson would probably have to leave, in addition to Ox that should be sold regardless of who we get in or not.

Edit: From what I understand two new first team signings in midfield just isn’t gonna happen. I acknowledge that our policy is waiting until the right players are available. Which is a good way to operate imo, but puts us in a difficult position short term with the lack of true quality in midfield.

Well you'll have to tell Jurgen Klopp that Henderson isnt world class in this team because he certainly was towards the end of the season. I think this team would massively miss its club captain after losing Mane. Still not sure how Henderson is so overlooked despite everything he continues to do for this team.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

There's links to Otavio today. If we were buying one more player, I like his kind of profile. A narrow winger/wide right centre mid profile, like we use Elliott. All respect to Henderson, but that position he plays in midfield is the weakest part of our starting 11. 

Not what we need at all, right footed right winger who played three games in midfield this season and wouldn't provide the type of attributes we're missing.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm not calling him that, because that's not what he is. He is a similar profile to Elliott and Elliott plays centre mid here.

Centre mid doesn't mean anything, your 'centre mid' can be anything from Dunga to Kevin De Bruyne.

People get so blinded by the desperation for transfers that it becomes less about what we need and more about what can we get.

8 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Centre mid doesn't mean anything, your 'centre mid' can be anything from Dunga to Kevin De Bruyne.

People get so blinded by the desperation for transfers that it becomes less about what we need and more about what can we get.

Are you confused what this thread is about? This thread is about who the reader would buy if we bought one more player. I would buy an attacking midfielder that would play on the right. 

I don't think we desparately need someone like that, I'm saying if, important word, "if" we bought a player, I would buy that player. It's an opinion thread. Get it?

Apologies, didn't realise you'd been banging the Otavio drum this summer, thought you'd decided on a whim that he was the player for us based on a report that appeared today.

And technically it's not who you'd buy it's where you'd look to strengthen and given Otavio solves neither position it was a fair question.

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Apologies, didn't realise you'd been banging the Otavio drum this summer, thought you'd decided on a whim that he was the player for us based on a report that appeared today.

And technically it's not who you'd buy it's where you'd look to strengthen and given Otavio solves neither position it was a fair question.

I said I like his profile. I don't give a fuck if it's Otavio or whoever other cunt can play that right side position and add some technique and creativity.

I'm more interested in a Fabinho/Thiago hybrid type for midfield.  

I think it's worth hoping that one out of Curtis, Harvey or Fabio will step up and make the more attacking midfield position their own.

And if not we still have Hendo, Keita and Ox who can play there.

8 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm not calling him that, because that's not what he is. He is a similar profile to Elliott and Elliott plays centre mid here.

Would we want 2 Elliots? It always seems to me klopp likes footballers who bring some different things when they replace the main person in a position, not 2 identikit players. Left mid is Jones/thiago/keita. 3 completely different footballers. Right side Henderson/Elliot/Chamberlain (and some times keita). Again 3 different players. 

15 hours ago, aws said:

Some great points aws. Moreover, we’ve lost a world class player in Mane, and Salah who’s the only other proven world class player upfront looks likely to leave end of next season. Whereas we have bona fide world class players everywhere else; Alisson, Van Dijk, Trent, Fabinho, and Thiago would walk into every single team on the planet. 

15 hours ago, aws said:

Maybe Nunez or Diaz can play on the right a bit but it seems to me that we have only one player who is a natural in that position and he's in his last season.

He's the only one who is a natural in that position as it's currently played would be the caveat.

We've played with inside forwards as our goal scorers and the central attacker as the person to create space for them, with Nunez in the side you have the option of occasionally playing the wide attackers as a more creative outlet which negates the need for a left footer in that role and brings the likes of Elliot and Diaz into contention.

Wouldn't be my preference all the time but gives us an option.

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Would we want 2 Elliots? It always seems to me klopp likes footballers who bring some different things when they replace the main person in a position, not 2 identikit players. Left mid is Jones/thiago/keita. 3 completely different footballers. Right side Henderson/Elliot/Chamberlain (and some times keita). Again 3 different players. 

Probably not, which is why we aren't buying anyone there, but I disagree the players are different. The 3 players on the right, were all wingers. Henderson and Chamberlain when younger and then obviously Elliott. The ability to play wide is clearly something Klopp likes in that right #8 position. Keita isn't that when he's there, but he plays far up like an attacking midfielder. It's probably viewed as a creative role. 

I would have bought someone in that position as to me, it's our weakest in terms of quality. But I'm sure Klopp expects Elliott to step up and Henderson is still obviously going to be favoured there. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Probably not, which is why we aren't buying anyone there, but I disagree the players are different. The 3 players on the right, were all wingers. Henderson and Chamberlain when younger and then obviously Elliott. The ability to play wide is clearly something Klopp likes in that right #8 position. Keita isn't that when he's there, but he plays far up like an attacking midfielder. It's probably viewed as a creative role. 

I would have bought someone in that position as to me, it's our weakest in terms of quality. But I'm sure Klopp expects Elliott to step up and Henderson is still obviously going to be favoured there. 

I dunno where you watch you footy mate, but Henderson was never a winger. He was a central midfielder for Sunderland. He came to us and Kenny gave him some games on the right because he wasn't equipped enough to play centrally for us but he wanted to give him game time. And he wasn't very good at it. And he was never a winger even then, he was a right sided midfielder, which is quite different.   

You're right, Chamberlain started his career as a winger and had long since been seen as not one by the time we signed him.

Chamberlain & Henderson couldn't be 2 more different footballers. As for Elliot, he's not even a proper footballer yet, it's almost impossible to judge what he is as he's played in the championship, then had a few games for us literally learning on the job in midfield. He doesn't look like henderson or chamberlain though so far. 

All 3 players have some attacking intent, but I'd have thought that a basic requirement of any player who plays as an 8. 

15 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I dunno where you watch you footy mate, but Henderson was never a winger. He was a central midfielder for Sunderland. He came to us and Kenny gave him some games on the right because he wasn't equipped enough to play centrally for us but he wanted to give him game time. And he wasn't very good at it. And he was never a winger even then, he was a right sided midfielder, which is quite different.   

You're right, Chamberlain started his career as a winger and had long since been seen as not one by the time we signed him.

Chamberlain & Henderson couldn't be 2 more different footballers. As for Elliot, he's not even a proper footballer yet, it's almost impossible to judge what he is as he's played in the championship, then had a few games for us literally learning on the job in midfield. He doesn't look like henderson or chamberlain though so far. 

All 3 players have some attacking intent, but I'd have thought that a basic requirement of any player who plays as an 8. 

Henderson played some right mid for Sunderland, played some right mid here nominally at the beginning and except when he spends time as a #6, he basically spends his time on the right side of the pitch here. He's not literally a winger, but it's not exactly a stretch to say he plays on the right. 

He, Chamberlain and Elliott pretty much all spent their time on the right, again, either nominally as wingers, or as centre mids that drift out there and that's likely not a coincidence and that's what they have in common. You don't see that of the left sided options. We don't have midfielders who play on the left who were former wingers or who spend their time wide. 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Henderson played some right mid for Sunderland, played some right mid here nominally at the beginning and except when he spends time as a #6, he basically spends his time on the right side of the pitch here. He's not literally a winger, but it's not exactly a stretch to say he plays on the right. 

He, Chamberlain and Elliott pretty much all spent their time on the right, again, either nominally as wingers, or as centre mids that drift out there and that's likely not a coincidence and that's what they have in common. You don't see that of the left sided options. We don't have midfielders who play on the left who were former wingers or who spend their time wide. 

Henderson isn't who you're describing. I've agreed with you Chamberlain started as a winger. But he was a failed winger who had become a central mid and was starting to get used as a wing back and didn't want to do it. We bought him because of his capabilities centrally. And as I say, the Elliot discussion has no merit because he's not proved to be anything yet and we used him last year pretty much out of desperation, as Henderson came back late & chamberlains missus was having a kid. Klopp knew that before a ball was kicked, so he used what he had at his disposal. We've no idea if Elliot will make it as a footballer, let alone a number 8. 

As for the left they're different because we have bought keita and thiago to play those roles. Like we bought Chamberlain to play a right sided 8. When keita first arrived he often used to go wide of mane in the same way Henderson and Elliot do on the right. The reason he doesn't do more of it is because he's a bit shit. Thiago doesn't because he literally doesn't have it in him, it's not his game. As I say, they're all different. 

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Henderson isn't who you're describing. I've agreed with you Chamberlain started as a winger. But he was a failed winger who had become a central mid and was starting to get used as a wing back and didn't want to do it. We bought him because of his capabilities centrally. And as I say, the Elliot discussion has no merit because he's not proved to be anything yet and we used him last year pretty much out of desperation, as Henderson came back late & chamberlains missus was having a kid. Klopp knew that before a ball was kicked, so he used what he had at his disposal. We've no idea if Elliot will make it as a footballer, let alone a number 8. 

As for the left they're different because we have bought keita and thiago to play those roles. Like we bought Chamberlain to play a right sided 8. When keita first arrived he often used to go wide of mane in the same way Henderson and Elliot do on the right. The reason he doesn't do more of it is because he's a bit shit. Thiago doesn't because he literally doesn't have it in him, it's not his game. As I say, they're all different. 

I think you're just being difficult regarding Henderson. He has nominal winger responsibilities on the right side, defending out wide and swinging crosses in on his strong foot. It's pretty clear. 

Elliott and Chamberlain were both wingers and I think that's relevant as to what Klopp has wanted out of the right sided #8 position. If you want to feign ignorance as to what kind of skills Elliott has because that suits your argument, so be it.